oil leak

handyman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 w211 e270cdi elegance
i have a 2000 w210 e320cdi 170,000 mls and going very well, over the last week i have noticed an oil leak from underneath the engine bay,the leaking oil is very clear and clean looking.I took the engine undertray off and it was saturated with oil.
the oil seems to be coming from above the alternator as it was covered in oil.I don't seem to be loosing any oil from engine,power steering or brake fluid,have checked the electric plug in gearbox and it is dry,any one got any ideas?
pj

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Seals on the oil feed or return pipe to the turbo are the most common and likely cause. Whip off the air filter box and have a look with a torch.

OP
H

handyman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 w211 e270cdi elegance
thanks steve i wll have a look,is it ok to drive the car without the leak causing any damage?
pj

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Hi,

If the oil is clear and new looking, it won't be from the turbo as this would be dark coloured engine oil, it's probably from the gearbox, either the sump seal leaking or the electrical plug. Mine did this and it was the electrical plate in the gearbox which mounts the electrical plug at fault.

I'd advise you to start by having the gearbox oil level checked and the leak identified before you go far.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Top Bottom