Oil level over the limit, is it too much?

Exp21

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s204 C200 CDI Blue Efficiency MY2012, w245 B200 CDI Facelift
The problem was about the B16/14 egt sensor, the one between the exhaust manifold and the pressure transducer in a duct going to the egr valve. I also did a thread about this (it regards the OM640 engine) in the forum :). I had a CEL going on and off periodically, during winter. Many mechanics saw the car but nobody understood the issue. They replaced the sensor but didn't solve. I then checked with obd2 and found that when engine was dead cold it gave too high values, and while running not plausible values, so I did many tests with a multimeter and solved repairing the ground wire.
From that moment, oil level remains perfectly at MAX. It's for sure a more common problem than thought, especially in euro5 engines. In my 651 engine I have the same problem. Regularly topping up coolant of your same quantity. I think it's the reservoir cap not sealing properly, filter housing already replaced too and no evident leaks. I heard of many with om651 owners topping up regularly. I was scared about a small head gasket leak but I never checked "scientifically" the thing till now :) (but now I'm off topic)

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Hi, I had issues in the past with my w245 B-class with dpf regens and often I found oil level half a liter over the max. I made a lot of miles in that condition, no damage fortunately. And warning on dashboard never came up. I think it's dangerous when you exceed of a liter or more. But it depends on engine design too. Be also careful to read properly the dipstick on the 651 engine. When you extract it, the face towards the rear of the car is the one giving the level, the other face gets wet with oil when you lift it and it reads a higher level (at least on mine). Hope it helps :)
this is a serious issue - its OVER because the engine oil is being swamped with diesel - it needs a new DPF sensor and a check all is in order - and of course an oil change

to get the bonfire set off to clean the DPF, on the Merc tractors they pump so much fuel in, half falls out the exhaust and then catches fire - but as they mostly left the factory with this system flaky and hardly ever working it just fills the sump up with a light oil and destroys the engine - the only fly in Mercs build em to die philosophy was the councils clog the roads strategy. The fake road works have brought us to a standstill so the engine seldom gets exercised enough to kill it

I believe they are on v7 of a DPF sensor that pretends to operate

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Did this show during a scan or how did you find it? Normally, frequent failed regens show in increased engine oil levels. I'd say that it could be a more common problem than thought , because not everyone is as meticulous as you and most forum members are. Currently, a problem that I have is with the coolant. Every 3000 klms, it needs a top up of between 120-200mls. The fuel filter housing has already been replaced, and there's no obvious signs of any leaking, and no codes showing when it's scanned.
It may be worth considering the EGR cooler.
I can have white smoke at cold start after being stood o/ night. It soon blows off. Although I bench pressure tested at 30psi with a little water in, and it held, my theory is that it passes, a little, when hot. The small amount of coolant pools at the intercooler and is passed through the engine at start up. The exhaust heats v quickly causing the apparent vaporising.
I'll replace it when the weather is warmer.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Here's a thing.
my old w163 270 states oil capacity with filter is 7.5 litres, but when that is put in, the level on the dipstick is only half way up.
Put another half litre in and its about 1/8 inch below max !!!!!!
I sort of run at about 7.75 litre's, makes me feel better !!!!

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Here's a thing.
my old w163 270 states oil capacity with filter is 7.5 litres, but when that is put in, the level on the dipstick is only half way up.
Put another half litre in and its about 1/8 inch below max !!!!!!
I sort of run at about 7.75 litre's, makes me feel better !!!!
Thats strange all right..would it be something to do with the shape of the sump? 1/2 ltr moving the level up nearly half the tank?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
whats the point of the pointy out bit of the dark red plastic piece (that the oil level is just below)?
Keeps the dip stick clear of the dip stick tube so the oil level stays on the dip stick instead of being wiped off

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
The car runs butter smooth and the engine sounds like brand new.
The engine is running smoothly because you put new clean oil in it, not because of half a litre of oil above the max.

OP
H

HasanCreed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Benz E Class E220 CDI 2.1 / Late 2013
The engine is running smoothly because you put new clean oil in it, not because of half a litre of oil above the max.
I meant that even tough it had 0.5L extra the engine ran great NOT that it runs better because of extra oil.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I can sleep well now. Looks perfect.
index.php

300 miles and darker than a petrol after 10k miles - I presume thats all the soot and filth that's killing us - and its already got in the sump

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
index.php

300 miles and darker than a petrol after 10k miles - I presume thats all the soot and filth that's killing us - and its already got in the sump
Two different engines, two different results. And it need not take even 300 miles...even 100 might be enough, depending on mileage etc.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
yep - its usually black after you started and checked for leaks - what we need is to convert everyone from safe clean petrol and fill everyones lungs with this stuff for 20 years - then step back and wonder why

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
hmmm.
That's about the reading i get with nearly 8 litres in the engine.
I have always wondered if the oil should read mid way on the dipstick, and that's how it was designed.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
oh, yes, it does go discoloured very quickly.
I suppose you have to remember that draining the oil will always leave a bit in the engine, and it will quickly discolour the new oil, but its lubricating properties are much better than the old oil.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
whats the point of the pointy out bit of the dark red plastic piece (that the oil level is just below)?
It's a stop. It determines exactly where the dip stick goes to.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
It's a stop. It determines exactly where the dip stick goes to.
??? a dip stick tube is open ended at the sump end .... the plastic bit is as I said, to stop the dip stick itself from wiping itself along the side of the tube .... some dip sticks have a twist in them to achieve the same thing

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
I have seen so many oil change videos on youtube, and even the mechanic doing the oil change has no idea how to do it right .They drain the oil off -fine but on filling up the oil is put in and the dip dip stick is used to check the level . They can see its low so pop in more oil .Start the engine to circulate the oil .Stop the engine and take another reading off the stick ,,and they pop in some more oil ,,by now the first lot oil thats been put in is still in limbo in the upper parts of the engine, not having time to drain down to the sump . So untill the oil as drained down in to the sump the reading will never be right . It takes me over 2 hours to get my oil level right . Start the car ,, switch it off ,., and let it go cold , then all the oil will be down in the sump .Top it it up bit by bit . But i am old school . If you measure whats come out , and put back the same amount of oil it a quicker way of doing it .

Manc Rick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220 Premium +, 2017 with OM654.
I have seen so many oil change videos on youtube, and even the mechanic doing the oil change has no idea how to do it right .They drain the oil off -fine but on filling up the oil is put in and the dip dip stick is used to check the level . They can see its low so pop in more oil .Start the engine to circulate the oil .Stop the engine and take another reading off the stick ,,and they pop in some more oil ,,by now the first lot oil thats been put in is still in limbo in the upper parts of the engine, not having time to drain down to the sump . So untill the oil as drained down in to the sump the reading will never be right . It takes me over 2 hours to get my oil level right . Start the car ,, switch it off ,., and let it go cold , then all the oil will be down in the sump .Top it it up bit by bit . But i am old school . If you measure whats come out , and put back the same amount of oil it a quicker way of doing it .
Yes, I’ve seen this too. Just requires a little bit of (un)common sense.

+1 re. measuring what came out and putting the same quantity back.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom