Oil Pressure/Temp correct reading??

stuieb

Reaction score
Mercedes E280 Auto 1997 Reg

Hi everyone
Brand new member so apologies for any questions that might sound silly.
I have recently bought my E280, it has done 109,000, with full MB history.
I have done what has been recommended with a full oil service and also transmission oil change, for the auto gearbox.
But I have noticed that the oil pressure gauge has slowly crept up over the passed couple of weeks. It used to stay more or less on the halfway indicator but now especially round town stays between the halfway and next indicator up. I am worried why it is reading slightly higher and would appreciate any advise on whether I am being too over cautious or need to do something.
Also a :confused: silly question having never owned a Auto before at traffic lights etc is it best to leave in neutral or drive??
Thanks
stuieb

flagstaff

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'94 E220 Cab
on a high mileage engine the oil pressure is bound to fall, especially when idling in D with the engine warm. i think the minimum for that engine is about 1bar, at idle. the gauge sgould always go up to 3, and stay there, when the revs increase during normal driving.

there are two schools of thought about D or N when stopped at lights. i say leave it in D. that's the whole point of an auto, after all: to cater for us lazy folk.

OP
S

stuieb

Reaction score
thanks for your input greatly appreciated.
Sorry to be a bit thick but from your reply I am assuming that if the gauge reads over the 3rd bar(80 temp) then i need to get the oil pressure looked at?
And it sounds a good idea to leave it in D like you said if nothing, but for being a bit lazy

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
Don't get what you mean about "3rd bar(80 temp)". If this is the temperature gauge it is perfectly normal at 85c. I agree with flagstaff about leaving it in D at traffic lights.
Geo.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think thay that two gauges show temperture,one for water and one for oil.the oil one shows an oil can and C, if this is the case it will be higher during the warm weather.

Malcolm

OP
S

stuieb

Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys appreciated.

OP
S

stuieb

Reaction score
HI,
I have since been told that it is the temp gauge that I was concerned about, so if this can operate at 85 c with no issues I can live with that. I am assuming that if for any reason it goes above that, the fan should then kick in anyhow? And keep temp under control.
Kind regards
Stuieb

flagstaff

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'94 E220 Cab
television said:
I think thay that two gauges show temperture,one for water and one for oil.

unless the monitoring systems for that chassis are radically different than for the W124, the gauges are for coolant temp and oil *pressure*...

this being the case, i think the OP's original post may have been somewhat misleading: he was talking about the coolant temp creeping upwards, especially in traffic, and we can safely disregard any issues with oil pressure.

temp creep in traffic in warm weather is normal. the fan should kick in around the 100C mark. if it doesn't, either it or its associated sensors may be faulty.

OP
S

stuieb

Reaction score
Many thanks Flagstaff, and reassuring to know about the temp.
cheers
stuieb

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom