Parking brake

aikmanmosquito

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320
Hi I was enquiring yesterday about parking brake cable set up. Car is a 51 plate E320. I have a broken cable and was wandering if anyone had a diagram of it as Haynes don't do manuals for this car, is it a reasonably easy fix. While i'm on I have another few questions. Just replaced brake pipes, will this car need to be set up to a mercedes computer system to bleed the brakes? and also where is the battery located in this car?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
The battery is under a panel, under the driver's side rear seat.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You do not have to bleed the brakes for this job, I asked before is it the front or rear that has snapped and I will help you with the fitting instructions.

I see you have just fitted new brake pipes, the system is bled in the standard way and nothing special needed

m.mycat

Last edited:
OP
A

aikmanmosquito

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320
I am expecting one of the rear cable to be snapped, so any help with this would be appreciated.
Also can I ask is there a diagram anywhere showing which pipes from the abs unit go to which wheels?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The arrangement is standard for the brake pipes, I can find one

m.mycat

m.mycat

OP
A

aikmanmosquito

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320
Thankyou for your help,and one last question,hopefully.Replaced the two front to rear brake pipes yesterday, dropped car back down onto it's wheels, and now it won't start!! Certainly the red light on the fuel gage has been on the last few days so I don't know if due to there being little fuel and the car at daft angles its run short of fuel, I've stuck more in but still nothing!!!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is the engine turning over

OP
A

aikmanmosquito

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320
Hi any info on replacing the rear footbrake cable will be appreciated. I take it comes into the car underneath the rear seat. how does the rear seat come out?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Hi any info on replacing the rear footbrake cable will be appreciated. I take it comes into the car underneath the rear seat. how does the rear seat come out?

The seat just lifts up..and out. The cable adjuster is under a panel in the centre, under a panel (that's two panels). It'll be obvious when the seat is out.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No it all under the car, only the adjuster/equalizer is accessible from the panel in the floor that comes out, all of it is fitted from under the car with both rear wheels off.

I will try and print off the instruction tomorrow

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Sorry for hi jacking this thread.

Does any know how to adjust the parking brake on a 04 s211, mine just doesn't seem to hold the car any more, not really an issue just something thats a little annoying.

Thanks in advance.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry for hi jacking this thread.

Does any know how to adjust the parking brake on a 04 s211, mine just doesn't seem to hold the car any more, not really an issue just something thats a little annoying.

Thanks in advance.

Really the cable should be slackened off, remove the rear wheels. There is a hole that gives access to the adjuster in each wheel sited at about 10 o'clock one side and 2 o'clock the other.

With a flat bladed screw driver flip the adjuster round till the hub is locked, the back off about 6 clicks so that the hub turns with minimal rubbing. they are not handed so one side tightens in one direction and the other side the other way. this is a picture with the disc/hub removed showing the adjuster.

When done re adjust the parking brake cable to the correct amount of clicks to lock it on.

The reason that you slacken off the parking cable is so that maximum pull can be got from the equalizer, and that you are not pulling the cable against the end of the T piece.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 14
OP
A

aikmanmosquito

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320
Sorry to trouble you but I was just wondering if you had any joy re instructions for the footbrake cable change? It's just my mot retest is due very soon. Is it s pig of a job to change the cables?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry to trouble you but I was just wondering if you had any joy re instructions for the footbrake cable change? It's just my mot retest is due very soon. Is it s pig of a job to change the cables?

Well it would have been nice to know if it was the front or rear that has broken, to save me printing off more than I need to, but it will get done during this day

OP
A

aikmanmosquito

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320
Sorry to be a pain, but I'm not sure yet, i've dropped the dash trim and the cable seems fine at the pedal, but has probably broken at the adjuster. I've lifted the rear seat and there is no access panel in this car, so later today when I get access to a ramp I will be able yo have a better look! How hard a job is it? I've changed hanbrake cables in a MGF and they were a complete pig that took two days!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will print off both soon for you

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have them both ready to send :D

OP
A

aikmanmosquito

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320
OK thankyou, you want my email address then?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes please, you can edit it out shortly

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom