Parking sensor problem

Jp2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d S213 estate 2017
Hi,

I have a 2017 e-class S213 and have a parking sensor problem where 9/10 times on selecting drive/reverse it comes up with the red and constant beep all around the car as if there is a parking sensor problem.

Someone has scuffed the bumper a few years ago and was fixed properly however this problem has just started happening.

I suspect its the single sensor near side front at the side of the car however I’m assuming it’s worth checking fault codes with someone who has a diagnostic tool and check which sensor… I’m assuming you can just change one sensor?

Any hints and tips?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
its difficult when you first join - but many owners get like minded issues and thus you are seldom the first to have said fault. Hence you join all innocent and not necessarily knowing how most forums function - its often BEST to search first ask later - as you likely learn a bit on the way meaning your question if required ends up landing better - or at least tagging on a similar thread (which of course helps the next victim) - sadly many forums search is dysfunctional - this site's not too bad but often google will find it first.

as you say visible damage / interesting painting can cause them to play up - might be some pointers here

mercman111

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 clk 350 petrol
the rears come off with nothing removed however the fronts only come off if the front bumper is removed or partly removed,yes only change one or two if you have got 2 blown

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Read codes, will i.d sensor, buy new sensor, they uncip and push in.

Are the sensors clean?

OP
J

Jp2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d S213 estate 2017
Read codes, will i.d sensor, buy new sensor, they uncip and push in.

Are the sensors clean?
Yeah tried cleaning them first, hasn’t made any difference.

I probably need to find someone with a diagnostic tool to rest the error codes and find out which ones are not working.

OP
J

Jp2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d S213 estate 2017
the rears come off with nothing removed however the fronts only come off if the front bumper is removed or partly removed,yes only change one or two if you have got 2 blown
How do you know if they’re ‘blown’?

OP
J

Jp2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d S213 estate 2017
its difficult when you first join - but many owners get like minded issues and thus you are seldom the first to have said fault. Hence you join all innocent and not necessarily knowing how most forums function - its often BEST to search first ask later - as you likely learn a bit on the way meaning your question if required ends up landing better - or at least tagging on a similar thread (which of course helps the next victim) - sadly many forums search is dysfunctional - this site's not too bad but often google will find it first.

as you say visible damage / interesting painting can cause them to play up - might be some pointers here

Thanks. I did try the search before posting but didn’t find this thread.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Next time fault flags up, keep ignition on (but engine off), put in reverse or activate sensors if you can do so manually, then put your ear next to each sensor in turn. If working correctly, you'll hear a faint whine/hum. If it's not working you'll hear nothing.

MinionBob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Viano - 2012 - OM651 Engine - 2.2
TBH if you suspect a single sensor it might be worth you just getting a 2nd hand one from Ebay and sticking it in. If it doesnt fix the problem keep swapping the *new* sensor around in the bumper until it does.

It is likey to be cheaper than diagnostics..

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
TBH if you suspect a single sensor it might be worth you just getting a 2nd hand one from Ebay and sticking it in. If it doesnt fix the problem keep swapping the *new* sensor around in the bumper until it does.

Or use your ear... :)

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Thanks. I did try the search before posting but didn’t find this thread.
in the last 6 months we have had about 5 people pop up and ask - never seen it before - which drives me toward water ingress (which I think two confirmed it was for them) and or software anomalies

people are still getting their heads around software that "worked" when new, must still be good - this fallacy really winds me up - they sell the cars half developed - if it matters, enough will moan and the back room boys will know whats wrong - so rather than extend the vehicle development time by 6 month paying engineers to play - sell the flipping things and sort the mess at your leisure later - then of course there are little easter eggs they build in - these can put warning lights on for fake faults to help you get to the showroom to buy another car

OP
J

Jp2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d S213 estate 2017
Next time fault flags up, keep ignition on (but engine off), put in reverse or activate sensors if you can do so manually, then put your ear next to each sensor in turn. If working correctly, you'll hear a faint whine/hum. If it's not working you'll hear nothing.
I’ll try this first.

OP
J

Jp2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d S213 estate 2017

My research suggests that the two side sensors are different to the middle four so I’ll try the suggestion from @Rotorhead500 first, failing that I’ll find someone with a diagnostic tool.

OP
J

Jp2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d S213 estate 2017
in the last 6 months we have had about 5 people pop up and ask - never seen it before - which drives me toward water ingress (which I think two confirmed it was for them) and or software anomalies

people are still getting their heads around software that "worked" when new, must still be good - this fallacy really winds me up - they sell the cars half developed - if it matters, enough will moan and the back room boys will know whats wrong - so rather than extend the vehicle development time by 6 month paying engineers to play - sell the flipping things and sort the mess at your leisure later - then of course there are little easter eggs they build in - these can put warning lights on for fake faults to help you get to the showroom to buy another car
I’ve had the car 4 years and it’s now 5 years old. I suspect it’s 1+ of the sensors as expired (rather than software) and think it’s the front as the few occasions it works properly I’ve been reversing, select drive thereafter and it stops working again.

Listen first, diagnostic tool second and then hopefully isolate the problem and sort it.

Thanks for the help to all respondents, I’ll update the cause when I’ve sorted it.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
a few examples of the parking sensor software needed a bit more work when built

LI54.30-P-066611 JUL17 213, 238 with code 235 (park assist); 464 w/digital IC Parktronic warning tone sounds continuously not stopped by switching off ignition, improved software to be released. Tone can be stopped in following ways: Request highest warning level again: drive vehicle towards an object that Parktronic can detect until one of the display warning segments reaches highest warning level (flashing red), move the vehicle away again. Or perform quick test with Xentry diagnostics.

LI82.85-P-066991 AUG17 – 2017 213 with COMAND (581) after resetting control unit active profile Parktronic warning segments may flash without any warning tones, update COMAND software.

LI54.65-P-068316 JUL18 257 (MY19 CLS) with AMG styling package 772 warnings may appear without cause by front parking sensors, perform SCN coding in parking system control unit (N62).

LI54.65-P-068370 JUL18 213.064 (e43) warnings may appear without cause by front parking sensors, perform SCN coding in parking system control unit (N62).

LI54.65-P-072065 APR21 – 213 facelift / 238 facelift with code 235 and 501 erroneous visual or acoustic alert from parking sensors, or parking assist unavailable, calibrate 360° camera system (if installed) then if required re-commission parking system control unit if problem persists replace parking system control unit.

LI46.35-P-071804 OCT21 – 213, 238 with code 801 fault code U045A00 "Implausible data were received from control unit 'Parking system'." stored in electric power steering control unit (N68), install new parking system control unit software and process fault codes in control units that communicate with it.

OP
J

Jp2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d S213 estate 2017
Interesting reading the software updates to 213…. It’s up to date as it goes into dealers for annual servicing, It updates ‘over the air’ itself (except the sizeable one in 2018 done at the dealer) and the app says everything is up to date. Thank you @Botus

Can’t manually activate the sensors when ignition on or put the car in drive/reverse as command just tells me to start the engine, all I can do is put into neutral so couldn’t check via listening. Could start it but then I need someone to hold on the brake as it’s got an auto handbrake and then you hear engine rather than sensor hum.

Had it on a diagnostic tool (found someone to scan for me), it’s apparently the inner front left side so getting replacement from an MB dealer and get the garage who scanned it to fit since it’s a bumper off job. I would do myself but a but it was a nominal cost for him to fit and i’m pressed for time. Could eBay or get an unbranded replacement but I’m one for OEM parts.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Interesting reading the software updates to 213…. It’s up to date as it goes into dealers for annual servicing, It updates ‘over the air’ itself (except the sizeable one in 2018 done at the dealer) and the app says everything is up to date. Thank you @Botus

Can’t manually activate the sensors when ignition on or put the car in drive/reverse as command just tells me to start the engine, all I can do is put into neutral so couldn’t check via listening. Could start it but then I need someone to hold on the brake as it’s got an auto handbrake and then you hear engine rather than sensor hum.

Had it on a diagnostic tool (found someone to scan for me), it’s apparently the inner front left side so getting replacement from an MB dealer and get the garage who scanned it to fit since it’s a bumper off job. I would do myself but a but it was a nominal cost for him to fit and i’m pressed for time. Could eBay or get an unbranded replacement but I’m one for OEM parts.
Bu55er! :(

• Haha
Reactions: Jp2

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom