Pondering new C220 CDI Estate purchase

rustleg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class C220 CDI Auto W204
I am considering the purchase of a new C class estate and wanted to share my thoughts so you good people could make comments which might help me in the choice and process of buying. Sorry for the length of this post.

I am considering a new C220 CDI estate, to buy sometime early next year, maybe March. I'm thinking of deciding now as when I looked last Spring there was a significant delivery delay. I currently run a C220 CDI saloon 58 reg which I bought nearly new in June. This is my first Mercedes, and it is the first time in many years that I have enjoyed driving rather than just considering a car as a method of getting from A to B. I intended to keep this car for several years but I have decided that I made a mistake in buying the saloon rather than the estate.

I have used hatchbacks for many years and didn't realise how much I would miss the load carrying capacity. I have borrowed my wife's Astra hatch several times to carry stuff. Also my golf gear (with electric trolley) is a tight fit in the boot and if I want to take my golfing friend to a course I have to stack 2 bags on the back seat - not good.

I've rarely bought new in the past but this time I'm thinking of buying new as, assuming I keep it for some years, being retired it may be the last car I need!

1. First thought is how good are the blue-efficiency units? How did they manage to increase the power and also the consumption and CO2? Believing there's no such thing as a free lunch I wonder what compromises have been made.

2. About diesel engines. This was my first diesel. I bought a diesel for the torque and I am very impressed with its acceleration. However there seems to be a downside in vibrations from the unit - not usually significant but I've heard stories of other cars which have been criticised for this (e.g. a Telegraph review of the Honda Accord). What are the pros and cons of the 2.2 engine? I don't need the greater power of a larger engine (with its cost in terms of consumption and CO2) so the 2.2 seems a sweet spot for me unless there's another unit which is significantly smoother. Maybe the V6? But is it worth 6K (plus more fuel, road tax, insurance) for this? (I only do around 8-10,000 miles per year so extra running costs are not a show stopper.)

3. I have the built in Satnav in my current model but am intending not to have this in the new one. I like having a nice screen which folds away but there are limitations in use compared to the Tomtom I had used before - i.e. no full postcode, no local street names on the map, no way to label a destination with my own choice of name (e.g. "XXX golf club") - unless I have missed the option. On top of this it seems very expensive. Also if I get a tomtom I can update this in future when technology moves on, as it seems to do rapidly.

4. I have parktronic but this has become a nuisance as it beeps a lot for no reason. So not going in to the new car.

5. No 6 CD changer - there's blessed little room in the glove compartment. I don't mind feeding in the odd CD. I don't use it much anyway.

6. Elegance rather than Sport. This is what I have at present and I like the ride - don't want a harder ride. This was part of the reason for choosing a Merc rather than a BMW.

7. Leather seats. Worth the extra.

8. Standard or Bi-Xenon headlamps? Or the full Intelligent light system? I have no idea on this one. Comments gratefully received.

9. Standard aircon. How does the "luxury" version justify itself?

10. Heated front seats for winter for my old bones.

11. How to buy to get the best deal, including part exchange for my current car? I'm thinking of checking out 2 local dealerships (Portsmouth and Southampton). One reason to buy local is to establish a base for a good relationship for future service. What experiences have forum members had which would indicate whether this is worth something or whether it's irrelevant? What time of year will I get the best deal? I've heard some tales of great deals in the past year, but I think that was probably due to the recession.

12. Have I missed any isues, big or small, I should consider?

I look forward to any comments good or bad.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
The only comments i would add is.

I hope they get the injector fault cured, i have heard through our very good vine, that they are dropping like 3 a day just in my area, which is the same as yourself rustleg!!

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
I'd find the extra for the V6, the engine + gearbox make it a hoot and a half. Shame you dont like the sport trim, handling a1. Very refined, biblically fast.

I'd go for leather and retain the park tronic, cant the bleep be disabled but the lights still remain, its a good thing to have.

Just for bixenon, does the 204 not have an aux port so you can use an MP3 player rendering a cd changer redunant, check this with a dealer.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I am considering a new C220 CDI estate, to buy sometime early next year, maybe March.

E 220 wins on availability and price.

I made a mistake in buying the saloon rather than the estate.

E 200 estate is huge and well specified.

I've rarely bought new in the past but this time I'm thinking of buying new as, assuming I keep it for some years, being retired it may be the last car I need!

Note the problems the new cars are having. Being retired a demo or pre-reg should see you out!

1. First thought is how good are the blue-efficiency units? How did they manage to increase the power and also the consumption and CO2?

Probably very good, but the E 220 diesel is efficient and won't concede enough to make the difference.

2. About diesel engines. This was my first diesel.

I would not have anything else. I have yet to find a downside - automatic gears and a diesel engine are the ideal combination. E 200 has ample power and excellent economy.

3. if I get a tomtom I can update this in future when technology moves on

Good strategy.

4. I have parktronic but this has become a nuisance as it beeps a lot for no reason. So not going in to the new car.

I would have parktronic, but it is not a deal breaker. Most demo cars will have it "for free".

5. No 6 CD changer - there's blessed little room in the glove compartment. I don't mind feeding in the odd CD. I don't use it much anyway.

In the estate it will be less obtrusive. Again, most demo cars will have one.

6. Elegance rather than Sport. This is what I have at present and I like the ride - don't want a harder ride.

Sensible choice.

Agreed.

8. Standard or Bi-Xenon headlamps? Or the full Intelligent light system? I have no idea on this one. Comments gratefully received.

Xenon are the difference between night and day. I have no strong views on intelligent lights.

No. It is the same system with a digital display.

Nice, but rarely used.

11. How to buy to get the best deal, including part exchange for my current car?

Unless you have a friend who wants to buy your current car, P/E would do fine. Dealers are struggling for good stock. There are big incentives to buy pre-registered or ex-demo cars, but don't lose sight of the "cost to change" - it is that nett figure which matters most. Remember, the more you spend on a new car, the more you will lose in depreciation.

12. Have I missed any issues, big or small, I should consider?

For availability, best deal, ample space for your golf clubs and several other reasons I would suggest buying a demo or pre-registered E 220 CDI - last of the W211 range. These cars are at an excellent discount at present because of the emergence of the W212 range (but possibly less so due to delivery delays on the new model).

They offer excellent value and the £10,000 or so that you do not spend on a new car will overwhelm any advantage that the new car might have on mpg. I have put some notes above to your questions.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
For availability, best deal, ample space for your golf clubs and several other reasons I would suggest buying a demo or pre-registered E 220 CDI - last of the W211 range. These cars are at an excellent discount at present because of the emergence of the W212 range (but possibly less so due to delivery delays on the new model).

Yes, these are truly excellent cars and a package nigh on impossible to beat. Go for AG spec- a sterling suggestion. All goodies standard and most are spec'd to a standard that C classes simply are not, then you'll sit back, admire the excellent cabin (a huge plus over the 204), the amazing ride yet taught handling, and then you'll never find another car that matches the overall package. I've tried a 730d and felt it couldnt touch the 211 dynamically or in the comforts. Tried the 204 and it had the edge dynamically but not in the cabin stakes. These are excellent and IMHO underated cars (easily better than the E60 5 series which seems to win roadtests)

woodley_bob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E220 Bluetec estate (2016)
E over C?

Just following up Alex's post earlier. I looked about 18 months ago at the same choice. At the time I was looking 12 months old used rather than new and went for a used E220cdi estate (2007 model) over a new C220cdi estate. Much more room and nicer inside (more room and more comfy seats). If you have to carry adults in the back seats the E is much more comfortable. And there is MUCH more space in the boot. It is quite long though, very noticeable in a supermarket bay.

The new C has much more boot room than the old model but is still not as nice a place to sit as an E (IMHO). Plus there is less kit as standard - e.g. no climate control etc. The Avantgarde E's give you most of the useful toys without hard suspension (like xenon lights, which are wonderful).

The 220CDI engine in an E works well on motorway but can run out of puff when overtaking (the later ones have 170hp which is enough, but not as amusing as the v6 which is laugh-out-loud fast, and has the nice 7spd auto instead of the less nice 5spd.). No doubt in the smaller C it is a good bit sharper, as well as a bit more enthusiastic round the bends. The 2.2 diesel (in mine anyway) is a bit noisy at idle but you don't really notice once moving - the bigger engine is smoother at idle but not much in it once you are rolling. I think the recent improvements in CO2 on the new C have been through things like green tyres, aero changes and disconnecting alternators rather than radical changes to the engine.

Worth trying both, I suggest, especially if you haven't driven an S211.

Although I'm based in Southampton I ended up buying from Drayton up near Birmingham as my local dealers weren't offering anything like as good a price.

Last edited:

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Just following up Alex's post earlier. I looked about 18 months ago at the same choice. At the time I was looking 12 months old used rather than new and went for a used E220cdi estate (2007 model) over a new C220cdi estate. Much more room and nicer inside (more room and more comfy seats). If you have to carry adults in the back seats the E is much more comfortable. And there is MUCH more space in the boot.

The new C has much more boot room than the old model but is still not as nice a place to sit as an E (IMHO). Plus there is less kit as standard - e.g. no climate control etc.

The 220CDI engine in an E works well on motorway but can run out of puff when overtaking. No doubt in the smaller C it is a good bit sharper, as well as a bit more enthusiastic round the bends.

Worth trying both, I suggest.

211 V6 sport estates also cheaper, the OP doesnt do massive miles so its also a worthy option.

merc7

Reaction score
The only comments i would add is.

I hope they get the injector fault cured, i have heard through our very good vine, that they are dropping like 3 a day just in my area, which is the same as yourself rustleg!!

I though injectors fault only on new e-class!!!?? :confused:,does the c-class engines suffer from the same fault too??:shock:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.

No. It is the same system with a digital display.

I have a W203 and wish it had the luxury climate - the standard system doesn't work as well the digital climate in the Peugeot 406 I had before, which is a bit disappointing.

The luxury set up also gives you residual heating (ability to keep the car warm for a while without the engine running). That may be very useful to some people (and useless to others, of course).

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
The luxury set up also gives you residual heating (ability to keep the car warm for a while without the engine running). That may be very useful to some people (and useless to others, of course).

Sure?
I though all mercs had this. Very useful when waiting for the Mrs outside the shops. I've not had luxury climate but I have had residual heating on my last 2 cars and from memory it was available on my 202 too.

On the above,
heated seats - I use mine every trip in this weather. Normally turn them off once the car warms up a bit but it takes the bite out of it (I don't like wearing a coat when dr but I'd say essential in the winter with leather.
Xenons - wouldn't have a car without them now. Halogen is a candle in comparison.
CD changer - I believe its built into the head unit on the 204
Tomtom - spot on
Parktronic - on my E its brilliant - if its going off for no reason there's probably a fault.

I'd also agree that the best value will be a run out E320cdi with that silky V6 diesel and the 7 speed box. The 4 pot ones are brilliant but as you say, a bit loud and a run out E class will be well specced as well as being far more luxurious than a C class. You think you enjoy your C, try an E!. More to run though.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Sure?
I though all mercs had this. Very useful when waiting for the Mrs outside the shops. I've not had luxury climate but I have had residual heating on my last 2 cars and from memory it was available on my 202 too.
No residual heating on my W203. It needs an extra pump etc, which I understood was only fitted with luxury climate. There's also a different level of sophisitication to the sunshine sensor. And a charcoal filter.

Some or all of this may be on a W211 (or W204) though.

OP
R

rustleg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class C220 CDI Auto W204
Thanks for the replies

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate the time you have taken to help me. Some food for thought here. Particularly I haven't considered the E class before because I wasn't looking for anything bigger than the C.

A few reviews I have looked at heap praise on the new E class (W212) whereas the old model (W211) has had a chequered history of faults according to HonestJohn although he does say that most of these ended with the 2006 facelift
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=627

The suggestion is that MB have exhaustively tested the new model before launch to iron out potential faults. That said who knows what gremlins will develop in the new model? What is the wisdom of the forum members on this? I appreciate that the current end of line W211 is good value now but would there be a significant advantage paying more and waiting for a nearly new W212? Anyone out there who has upgraded?

The length in the supermarket bay (or the roadside gap) is a bit of a concern re parking. From comparing specs the E is 11 inches longer which is not insignificant. Would Parktronic alleviate any concern here? I really don't need the larger load capacity, so logic says stick to the C. However I'm listening when some of you say the E is a significant step up from the C.

So really it boils down to whether the car is so much nicer to drive to offset the size issue. I guess I need a road test to find out. I have to decide if I am testing the E220 or E320. Maybe I should start with the E220 as it will be a good immediate comparison with the C220 that I will have driven to the showroom without the distraction of the better performance.

The boxes ticked by your replies seem to be Leather, Xenon lamps, Parktronic. However my Parktronic does beep a lot so maybe it is faulty. The salesman who sold it to me warned me of this tendency - perhaps he noticed it himself on running it and wanted to pre-empt any thoughts I might have that this was not up to spec?

AG spec - I presume this is Avantgarde. Isn't this a harder ride?

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Particularly I haven't considered the E class before because I wasn't looking for anything bigger than the C.

Although the E is a much roomier car, it does not feel much bigger on the road. It is OK in supermarket and NCP car parks (My current S Class W 220 is a different story) and the overall length of the E estate is the same as the saloon, IIRC.

A few reviews I have looked at heap praise on the new E class (W212) whereas the old model (W211) has had a chequered history of faults according to HonestJohn although he does say that most of these ended with the 2006 facelift
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=627

I would certainly look at a "run out" 211, which will be post facelift and probably have extras and a reduced price to tempt prudent buyers. The first of the 212s seem to be having real trouble with diesel injectors.

Would Parktronic alleviate any concern here?

Parktronic is helpful, but not infallible (bit like satnav!).

Maybe I should start with the E220 as it will be a good immediate comparison with the C220 that I will have driven to the showroom without the distraction of the better performance.

The latest 211 E 220s have ample power - 170 bhp and around 270 lbs ft of torque IIRC, but check the car you are testing as this evolved through the model's life.

The boxes ticked by your replies seem to be Leather, Xenon lamps, Parktronic. AG spec - I presume this is Avantgarde. Isn't this a harder ride?

Ride quality does vary according to spec, but on standard wheels and tyres, I found AG to be the same as the middle setting on variable suspension - so enables good handling but not too firm. But that is a matter of personal taste which you can only decide by trying it.

Pottsy

Reaction score
Website
www.civinfo.com
Your Mercedes
09 CRV, 09 W212 E220 CDI
Can I add some thoughts too, if you are considering a W212 E?

1. First thought is how good are the blue-efficiency units? How did they manage to increase the power and also the consumption and CO2?

Mostly by magic, but also by twin turbos and even higher injection pressure.

2. About diesel engines. This was my first diesel.

The 220 and 250 (exactly the same hardware - just the 220 has the torque peak flattened) are good. I went for the 220, since 99.9% of the time it was the same as the 250. At light throttle, it is inaudible. At medium throttle it is just heard, but still smooth. At high power demands it gets a bit growly, but the shove is worth it.

I'd avoid the 200. I found it to be hopelessly gutless, and noisy.

3. if I get a tomtom I can update this in future when technology moves on

I tried the Audio 50 and it was very poor. I have a tomtom mounted to the right (see below) - but my car is bought for a 160 mile round trip motorway commute and I need the traffic services found on the TT (the Merc unit only has TMC).

The Parktronic on the new E is excellent. No false alerts and no beeps until you're really close. Standard on all cars.

The 6 changer is now an option - but it is built in to the head unit. Not worth it - unless you want the media interface (the 6 disc option includes this interface), in which case it's vital!

6. Elegance rather than Sport. This is what I have at present and I like the ride - don't want a harder ride.

The new E gives you 3 choices:

SE + 16": Perfect ride (IMO). Not that soft - just "classic Merc".
AG + 17": Just a bit more patter round town on poor roads. Little bit firmer too.
Sport + 18": Didn't try it.

I looked at used cars with Artico and leather. It became critical for me to not get leather! Artico looks and feels the same, except it remains looking new and not like a 20 year old Jag.

The halogens are good, but no better than good. The HIDs are better.

Not really an issue on the new E. The climate is good, and the optional 3 zone is most likely not needed.

Standard on all E's, these are more George Forman than heated seats. On max, they will roast you in seconds. Totally brilliant!

11. How to buy to get the best deal, including part exchange for my current car?

Not sure - but I found that nearly new ex demo W212s were selling at more or less new price (typically 6 months / 5,000 miles) so were not worth looking at. For the PX, just get offers from at least a couple of dealers.

After a lot of deliberation, I came to the following conclusion. The 220 CDI engine would suit what I wanted the best. The Artico interior (so SE or Sport) was better than the leather (I know, shoot me down - and most of my cars have had leather). The best ride was the SE, but it will appeal the least to the fashion conscious.

After all the thought over specs and prices, all is forgotten when you drive the car. It is so quiet, solid, comfortable and easy that I don't think it matters what spec you finally fall on - the car is so good it cannot fail to please.

I bought from the supply of stock orders that dealers place. If it was a factory order I'd choose an E220 CDI SE, Auto, metallic, large fuel tank, mirror pack, 6 disc changer.

Hope this helps.

e220_a3.jpg

e220_a1.jpg

e220_int.jpg

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C207 E250cdi Sport Coupe
rustleg. I have the C220cdi Estate 2008. I realise this is NOT Blue Efficiency but some of my answers may help you. To add to what has already been posted, using your enumeration:

1. My diesel is not quiet outside but inside the car it is virtually silent. Most impressed. There are no vibrations in mine.
3. I have the UMI fitted. This can be updated from time to time by the dealer. Good display and works well. No wires like the TomTom.
4. I have Parktronic. Display lights are good but mine doesn't beep until virtually hitting something; I would prefer more beeps!
5. Using the UMI you can put your CD's on a memory stick and select whatever you like. Much better than a CD changer.
6. Tried Elegance and Sport. I too find the Sport too hard. Elegance is a good ride.
7. I have Artico seats. Would have preferred leather but I have found te Artico to be good and most people think they are leather!

I had to make the choice between saloon and Estate and I would say go for the Estate every time. I reckon it has good lines and is very versatile. No extra noise in the cabin and you never know when you need that etra space. To those who say go for the E Class - I had to make that decision but the E Class is larger and certainly in the rural area where I live the extra size would make parking in towns more difficult; C Class space is excellent unless always carrying pasengers in the rear seats, where legroom is just a little restricted if the fron seats are pushed back.

dolphinhouse

Reaction score
As a recent owner of a new C220Cdi Estate, here's my two-penneth.

>3. I have the built in Satnav in my current model but am intending not to have this in the new one. I like having a nice screen which folds away but there are limitations in use compared to the Tomtom I had used before - i.e. no full postcode, no local street names on the map, no way to label a destination with my own choice of name (e.g. "XXX golf club") - unless I have missed the option. On top of this it seems very expensive. Also if I get a tomtom I can update this in future when technology moves on, as it seems to do rapidly.
I'm pretty sure mine has full postcode look-up, so maybe this is something the newer COMAND units have - unless you have Audio 50.

>4. I have parktronic but this has become a nuisance as it beeps a lot for no reason. So not going in to the new car.

Works fine for me - only beeps when on Red

>5. No 6 CD changer - there's blessed little room in the glove compartment. I don't mind feeding in the odd CD. I don't use it much anyway.
In mine, this is part of the head unit, the glove box has the iPod.

>6. Elegance rather than Sport. This is what I have at present and I like the ride - don't want a harder ride. This was part of the reason for choosing a Merc rather than a BMW.
Snap - this was my reason too for not going to BMW too - that and the dodgy salesmen.

>7. Leather seats. Worth the extra.
Elegance includes Artico - and you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference. Several people on here have commented how good it still looks after several years.

>8. Standard or Bi-Xenon headlamps? Or the full Intelligent light system? I have no idea on this one. Comments gratefully received.
I have the full intelligent light system, but then I'm a gadget freak.

>10. Heated front seats for winter for my old bones.
Yep - they work quite well.

Top Bottom