Potential Purchase - 2005 E270 Avantgarde - Bargain Or Money Pit?

Martian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 Aventgarde, (2005) CLK 320 AMG Convertible, (2002)
Hi Everybody,

My search for a 'cheap and cheerful' C or E Class Estate continues and I have seen, (what I would consider to be), the occasional 'bargain' but they are few and far between and disappear very quickly!

Despite starting this search with a very modest expectation I have subsequently allowed my heart to rule my head and I have already doubled my budget, (an even more modest £2K), but isn't that something that we are all guilty of doing when we are smitten with a particular marque?

I am currently looking at a very smart, (inside and out), 2005 E270 CDi Avantgarde with 180k on the clock - am I correct in assuming this is the W211 variant, (please forgive my naivety)?

I think it has most of the available options fitted and it is a one previous owner vehicle with three keys and full service history.

The pictures look good and I am awaiting some video footage too and, (equally importantly), the price is right!

There are a couple of issues, however, one being the nearside indicator repeater not working, (with a message coming up on the command unit), and the auto shifting is reported as being sluggish in the low gears when starting from cold - but then behaves impeccably afterwards?

One would hope that the nearside repeater issue is simply a bulb issue, (I was not sure if the electric mirror was also defective - in which case I sounds like a cable connector issue), but I am a little more apprehensive about the gearbox issue.

I guess that the Mercedes unit will be a combination of hydraulics and electronics - probably intertwined with the ECU but just wanted to know if there are any known issues that could cause the initial sluggishness.

I believe that some issues can be resolved with gearbox oil and filter changes but I also realise that, (in the worst case scenario), a gearbox replacement may cost more than the value of the vehicle!

Are there any reports of sensor, solenoid and/or valve issues on the auto boxes fitted to this particular model, (I believe it is the 5 speed and not the 7 speed - as fitted to the later 320's), and I am presuming that the gearbox 'learns' the driving habits of the owner?

I will, of course, test drive the vehicle in order to get a feel for what is occurring, myself, and I would suspect that it will be worth checking the car with my ODB Monitor, (I believe the port is under the steering wheel), - although I will need to locate a list of Mercedes codes!

I will also need to check the head tops for the dreaded 'Black Death' - something I have experience of with my Jeep Grand Cherokee, (which has the Merc 2.7CRD engine fitted)!

Any thoughts and suggestions welcome - other than comments to the effect of 'Don't do it' - as always!

Regards,

Martin - Forever a glutton for punishment.

Jaguar XF, Peugeot 307SW, Jeep GC, BMW GSA1250, Ducati 1198S, Benelli Tornado Tres.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You're correct - its a w211.

Its not uncommon for the 722.6 gearbox to be sluggish when cold and its completely normal in cold weather for it to hang onto gears for longer than you'd expect until the oil warms up.
The box is an electronic one with actuators used to control the hydraulic solenoids and electronics controlling the actuators. There are speed sensors on the electronic plate that lives in the gearbox and yes they can fail but its a DIY job to change the plate.
Regular oil changes are a must on these gearboxes - originally MB said they were sealed for life but what they really meant was sealed till it dies and you have to buy a new one.
Check to see if it had any work on the gearbox - including oil and filter changes.

Being a 211 it will have SBC brakes - it would be good to know if the SBC pump has been changed (pretty sure it will have) and when. They have a lifetime of 100k miles if they don't have the updated software and 150+ if they do. SBC pumps should be treated as a consumable and aren't expensive to have rebuilt.

To read codes you really need something that can talk to all the modules. A generic reader is not a lot of use as it will only talk to the engine and not the gearbox.
An iCarsoft i980 would be perfect for just reading but an iCarsoft MB v2.0 is probably a better bet long term.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
SBC brakes as advised on your other thread

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
The 647 is much less prone to Black Death than the 612 was for some reason. The car being an estate will be an S211 rather than W211 but not an issue, just helps if your searching for estate parts and getting the right thing.

OP
M

Martian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks to you all for your prompt responses they are grstefully received and have not put me off - just yet!

I will have to assess the gearbox issue on the fly and make a decision based on what I can ascertain from the gearboxes behaviour.

The vendor appears to be genuine and was happy to highlight the negative issues, (two issues to date), and the wing mirror issue will be little more involved as the mirror movement is not working either!

Therefore, the simple cause may be a fractured cable where the harness leaves the A pillar and enters the door - a common 'flexing' point where the inner cables can fray otherwise it could be the module but I am hoping for the simple solution, (if neither the indicator repeater bulb works or the mirror motors the common denominator is the earth).

And yes I do worry about the infamous SBC Brake module and will see if I can see any receipts for work in this area.

As previously stated if the general condition is good I may take a gamble - if only to keep you all amused with my future exploits!

It has virtually every option for the model, sunroof, sat nav, upgraded stereo, electric rear parcel cover, massage, memory and heated seats - although I will be amazed if they all work.

The alloys are scuffed but the bodywork is true and the owner has even videod in the engine bay and underneath showing no discernable oil leaks - the engine bay has not been jet washed to wash off any indications of oil where it shouldn't be!

OK re the ODB and if I do commit I will invest in your suggestion - the last time I found myself in a similar position was when I bought an old P38 Range Rover and I bought various interfaces to control anx program all of the modules, (Engine, Gearbox, Body Comp, Air Suspension and the LPG Management System), but despite my buying a wreck, (to play with), ALL of the systems worked!!!!

Right time to think further about the pros and cons . . . .

OP
M

Martian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And is it possible to obtain a replacement DVD for the Sat Nav?

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Automatic rear parcel shelf raise is a standard feature, comand and the seats are a nice option and the seats are certainly a rare option on a non AMG car of that era. That’s said comand updates for that model stopped in about 2013 I think so your actually better getting an aftermarket head unit that then features Nav, Bluetooth and other features as standard.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Is this car year smack in the middle of the valeo radiator failure leaking into the gearbox atf?

OP
M

Martian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Automatic rear parcel shelf raise is a standard feature, comand and the seats are a nice option and the seats are certainly a rare option on a non AMG car of that era. That’s said comand updates for that model stopped in about 2013 I think so your actually better getting an aftermarket head unit that then features Nav, Bluetooth and other features as standard.

Many thanks for the additional info.

I was also surprised to see the massage seats fitted to this model as I have not seen any other S Class vehicles, (within my price range), equipped with anything similar.

It was the combination of memory and heated seats, (front and rear), that caught my eye - along with the sunroof, (another rare option I believe)?

I have a reasonably new combined head unit, (TV, DVD, Sat Nav, Bluetooth), in my garage that I originally fitted into my SLK but that will not be suitable unfortunately due to it being the smaller DIN size.

If I do proceed my first job will be to remove the door card and check wiring loom to mirror/indicator unit in order to try and sort remote mirror and indicator repeator issue!

Will be interesting to see how it drives.

We shall see . . . !

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009

I was also surprised to see the massage seats fitted to this model as I have not seen any other S Class vehicles, (within my price range), equipped with anything similar.

It was the combination of memory and heated seats, (front and rear), that caught my eye - along with the sunroof, (another rare option I believe)?

I have a reasonably new combined head unit, (TV, DVD, Sat Nav, Bluetooth), in my garage that I originally fitted into my SLK but that will not be suitable unfortunately due to it being the smaller DIN size.

If I do proceed my first job will be to remove the door card and check wiring loom to mirror/indicator unit in order to try and sort remote mirror and indicator repeator issue!

We shall see . . . !
Sounds like a good lock down project :D

OP
M

Martian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sounds like a good lock down project :D

Just as long as it doesn't take over my life - and, more importantly, my bank account!!

OP
M

Martian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is this car year smack in the middle of the valeo radiator failure leaking into the gearbox atf?

I do remember reading one account of this happening where the transmission oil was contaminated by coolant due to a leak between the two cores of two radiators!

Obviously not good for the gearbox!

simmon01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 270 CDI, E 220 CDI & C180 Estate E280 CDI
I do remember reading one account of this happening where the transmission oil was contaminated by coolant due to a leak between the two cores of two radiators!

Obviously not good for the gearbox!

I had this issue with my 2005 E270cdi estate about 10 years ago. It was diagnosed as needing a new tongue converter ( 1300 odd quid! ) I decided, on a whim, to change the radiator, probably after reading something on here, it took me the best part of a day to do properly and wow! What a difference, like having a new transmission.

simmon01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 270 CDI, E 220 CDI & C180 Estate E280 CDI

We shall see . . . !
The door door mirror comes apart relatively easily and is the first thing I’d do in order to check that no little connectors needed plugging back in. They can get loose / unplugged when folding in or getting whacked by other idiots. I never use auto folding on an older vehicle for the issue of older brittle cables fraying and breaking

Top Bottom