Programme Key?

M6AJJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
v222 2014 350
I have a Sept 2000 W220 with the normal three button remote key. I also have an identical looking three button key which I bought from a local none MB garage which is second hand, and I don't know which car it came from. Can it be re programmed to fit my car?

SLIGOGOLFER

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 estate
Try taking and leaving the batteries out for several hours to erase the memory, then replace batteries and follow instruction in your manual on key programming

OP
M6AJJ

M6AJJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
v222 2014 350
Thanks for quick reply (even though I realise I put the question in the wrong forum). I have gone through the handbook from front to back and there is nothing about programming keys.

SLIGOGOLFER

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 estate
My manual says; point the key at the reciever of the door and press briefly,
then put key in ignition lock to position 2 within 30 seconds. It should then be ok.
p.s. my key is an earlier type

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
The programming of the key is not as above really.

It's the programing of the central locking to the radio frequency of the flick key fob.

For 'type 2' keys (flip out) Briefly press 'open' button on fob twice. Turn key in ignition to position '2' within thirty seconds. This programs key to central locking.
If its the eletronic type key (type 3 non metal key). The electronics in the key for starting the car are independant of the central locking and IR soft closing, and don't even rely on the batteries of key.

EDIT (30 months later): Here is another method I used for my ML:

• Put key in ignition and turn to position 2
  • Remove key from ignition and press and hold 'lock' button whilst simultaneously pressing 'open' button several times
  • Let go both buttons and then press 'lock button on its own
Note: the time between removing key and starting the key pressing sequence sould be less that ten seconds

Pascal

PS. Its in the right forum now.

Last edited:
OP
M6AJJ

M6AJJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
v222 2014 350
Pascal,

Thanks for putting me in the right forum. By the sound of it, the electronic key, ie no flip out metal key, cannot be reprogrammed to fit my car, is that right?

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
M6AJJ said:
Pascal,

Thanks for putting me in the right forum. By the sound of it, the electronic key, ie no flip out metal key, cannot be reprogrammed to fit my car, is that right?

From my rubbish knowledge of these things i think an MB dealer can reprograme it for you using your existsing key. i would suggest a phone call to one and see what they say. unless someone knows and posts on here.

114 072 22

Reaction score
That 2nd hand key you have is useless. Once programmed by dcuk they cannot be reprogrammed by the dealers (not allowed to have the kit to do this)
That type of key can only be ordered to chassis number and is so not possible to re-program it

190D

Banned
Reaction score
As far as I am led to believe if you get a new key it has no code in it and can be coded to your vehicle, but one that is programmed cannot be changed to another code it can only be reprogrammed

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
I have read several places that buying ELcode (eletronic/non flip) on ebay is bad, as the dealers wont programme them.

The ELCODE keys can be ordered from MB, and they programme the remote part (buttons for locks) up to the alarm/central locking.

I have read that these ELcode (also known as Das 3) keys, can also be programmed to the ignition (different system and independent of the buttons for central locking/alarm), with the aid of original key, but I have yet to find how this can be done. Some imput here would be nice.

It is possible that some people are getting confused, and that when the see their dealer programming the remote buttons to the central locking, they think he is programming it's ignition sensor. Not sure.

For the record, we are talking about non metal keys here ELCODE DAS3, (not the flip semi electronic ones known as 'flick knife'). ELCODE DAS3 were introduced to some (not all) models in 97/98. W202s, W211s got them. R170, R129, and MLs up to last year did not.

Pascal

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
Elcode Keys ... The Truth Unfolded

After doing some further research, I have indeed come to the conclusion that each of these keys are specific to individual vehicle, and cannot be programmed.

The Ebay keys, was a scam, as most buyers gave them to their kids as a toy.

The keys are programmed in the factory from VIN, but dealer has to do aditional syncronising as I mentioned above. Earlier ones had to be synconised with a star computer, but for the past few years, it can be done with the aid of another key.

The maximum amount of new keys you can order is 8, after which you will need to replace the entire electronic barrel. This is why cars fitted with this system are virtually steal proof.

The above does not apply to Flick knife fobs. Hope this clears the matter once and for all.

Pascal

996jimbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 estate
Keys

Makes sense that you can't just go and get someone else's key and make it work in your car, otherwise there's no point in the key. Anyone with a MB key could cheerfully drive off in anyone else's MB!

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
jimbo said:
Makes sense that you can't just go and get someone else's key and make it work in your car, otherwise there's no point in the key. Anyone with a MB key could cheerfully drive off in anyone else's MB!
Yea but they were only suggesting it could be done in conjuntion with another real key.

The remote part of the flick knife type can be programmed, but only if the car is open in the first place, and only if you have the correct metal key to turn on the ignition, and no alarm has been activated.

Pascal

996jimbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 estate
...and you promise that you're not stealing it?

114 072 22

Reaction score
Would you believe that merc commerial vehicles up to around 1986 used the same standard stock ignition key !!
times have changed.

In fact it was such a simple key anything you put in the ignition that would fit would start the vehicle.

Obviously the doors had a proper key/barrel so as long as you locked up hopefully no one would make off with your wagon

nicky

Banned
Reaction score
M6AJJ said:
Thanks for quick reply (even though I realise I put the question in the wrong forum). I have gone through the handbook from front to back and there is nothing about programming keys.

Easy answer to your question, No it cant be reprogrammed....

OP
M6AJJ

M6AJJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
v222 2014 350
Thanks everyone, have thrown the old (new to me) key away.

angus falconer

Reaction score
Which reminds me of one of the old Viz Top Tips;

"Annoy your neighbour by buying the exact same TV as then and stand in their front garden changing channels through their living room window"

piestore

Reaction score
das three keys

NO it cannot be coded to any other car than the one it was ordered for see my warning/post in general discussion

ABCOMM

New Registration
Reaction score
Can anyone let me know where to get my 3 button key reprogrammed please. Someone must be doing it as all the keys available on ebay are being sold.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom