Prosecuted for having a mobile phone in my car!!!!

suitcaseau

New Registration
Reaction score
Take the buggers on. Here in Australia there were hundreds of drivers who were disputing the accuracy of new speed cameras on Victorias best road. But on the blogs they said they couldn't afford the thousands of dollars to defend the case in court. it was pointed out (by me) that it didn't cost anything to defend the case unless you hire a lawyer. If you defend it yourself the fine is exactly the same as the infringement notice plus about $40 in statutory costs. So hundreds elected to contest and the system almost ground to a halt. Of course the cops (and I was one for 20 years) tried all sorts of intimidatory tactics to bully people into pleading guilty. But eventually the magistrate accepted that the drivers were genuine and found them guilty (the way thelaw works here is that it is almost impossible to beat a fixed camera) but imposed no fines. The net result was that what normally is a cash cow for the govenment ended up costing them a fortune. The law may be different there in the Uk but take them on. If you are innocent you are innocent. In principle it's not and should not be any different because you are a motorist

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Ben Longden;573563 true and natural Justice is only given to those with the deepest pockets. Ben[/QUOTE said:
Being more of a cynic I would say that this is a demonstration of being able to afford the representation that can play the game to best achieve the persons desirable result. Not much to to with justice.

But I'm sure O.J would disagree.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
since when did courts have anything to do with justice?
All too often, cases come up where the law was clearly not intended to be applied. The courts still convict. All they are interested in is the application of the law and its technicalities. Justice and right and wrong have no place in a court of law.
But you can use that to your benefit. People get off parking offences because a yellow line wasn't painted properly. Nobody argues that they didn't know it was an offence, just that the law wasn't applied properly.

Top Bottom