PSE PUMP HEADACHE !

David Arnott

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2009
jaybtee,

The WIS document no. is ar88.50-p-5020r

When you operate the handle in the boot lid this makes the PSE pump blow pressure to the lock mechanism, the pneumatic solenoid then directs this pressure to the black diaphragm part which unlocks the boot.
The white diaphragm part is supplied from the PSE with vacuum when you close the boot lid on to the first click of the lock, the boot lid then is pulled down and locked with a further click.

The pressure and vacuum are applied on the same yellow plastic line and is then directed to the appropriate diaphragm by the solenoid. The PSE can make both pressure and vacuum.

The electrical wiring diagram / schematic is pe80.20-p-2101-97ka in WIS

I hope this helps, don’t hesitate to ask more questions
Regards
David

jaybtee

Reaction score
Sorry for not replying, but it has been solid rain here. I have printed off a lot of the pages and have a better understanding of what is going on. I think the answer lies in the position of the actuating rod. I will get into it tomorrow weather permitting. Thanks for the help so far.

04S600AMG

Hi wesleypearce,

Your post indicates that you may have a possible issue with the boot closure and that it appears to be inoperative. When you view the PSE pump from the front, the two left hand connections (FoL and FoR) on the lower section of the grey manifold are not used at all on the SL - (R230) and CL - (W215) models, they are only used on the 4 door saloon versions, such as the “S” class - (W220) models for the rear door locks.

However, yours will appear to be exactly the same as my own CL (W215) and the following will help you to identify the destinations from the pump manifold – onwards. I’ve attached a photo below of my own PSE pump for easy identification purposes.

Please Note: the vacuum connections and their respective destinations from the grey pump manifold – onwards, also note that “HECK” translated from German to English represents the word - Stern - Rear.

KAF - Rear Head Restraints - White Line with Grey Connector.
HECK - Boot Lid - Yellow Line with Grey Connector. This is the one that you want to check.
TD - Fuel Flap - Yellow Line with Grey Connector.
MKL - N/S and O/S Seats - Grey Line with Grey Connector.
FT - O/S Front Door - Yellow line with grey connector.
BFT - N/S Front Door - Yellow line with grey connector.
FoL - N/S Rear Door - None connected on my CL - 4 door versions only.
FoR - O/S Rear Door - None connected on my CL - 4 door versions only.
SK - N/S and O/S Boot Security Locks - optionally fitted security equipment - fitted on my CL

These locations and identifications will always come in very handy if you ever need to carry out any “vacuum/pressure” leak-off tests later. Sometimes, a very simple vacuum/pressure leak can in fact cause the pump to run on much longer than necessary, and in the process, draw excess current which in turn will give rise to the fuse blowing, rendering all the PSE system inoperative – the car will not “globally” lock although the alarm system is armed. The “normal” current consumption (measured in series in place of fuse 62 with a good quality ammeter) from these pumps should not exceed 15 amps and fall within in the range of between 10amps - 14amps, and the system should be protected with a 20-amp fuse - (yellow) - fuse number 62 is in the rear fuse box under the right hand side seat.

Hope the info is of some help.

Best Regards,

Dash1

Could somebody tell me what the N/S and O/S mean in the designations above?

Thanks,

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Nearside (nearest pavement), offside (furthest from pavement)

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005(long gone but not forgotten)
The designations for the various pneumatic connections are not always as stated above!!

On my R230 SL the door connections are VR and VL rather than FT and BFT. Theres also a connection called IVZ which is for the interior storage compartment locks- glove box, centre console etc.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
WIS information always refers to passenger side and drivers side when dealing with the 230, it is better than off side/ near side. Though it is the same wiring harness used in both LHD/RHD, they are not all turned upside down. Parts of the engine wiring are used upside down, all of the interior wiring harness is used upside down, but the boot wiring harness are all the same for both.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom