R107 starter removal

tomadaly

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
450SL - 1973 - auto
HELP :confused: I have a 1973 450sl auto - and the stater is dead - trying to remove ot to get it reconditioned. From under the car I have reomved a 19mm bolt on the starter - but I assume there is another bolt - I can't see one or even feel where it moght be. I was going to remove the exhaust manifold - but as the bolts on this look like they haven't been moved in 36 years - I'm not sure if they will come off. Is therr another bolt and if so where :rolleyes:

BB5000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1975 Mercedes 200 with 5.0 M117
There are two bolts holding the starter to the bellhousing if I remember rightly. One at the top, and one at the bottom. ;)

OP
T

tomadaly

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
450SL - 1973 - auto
Thanks - At least now I know that beating it with a lump hammer won't budge it -- any idea where the bolt is - I can't feel it , see it or have any idea what to remove to get at it ??

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
oh dear. it is there, diametrically opposite the first (at the top). not easy to get at, presumably you are working on the ground?

OP
T

tomadaly

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
450SL - 1973 - auto
I have the car up on stands - still means crawling under it. I've tried feeling around but can't feel any bolts - seems to be very little room at the top. The one I got at was on the bottom. Has anyone removed the started and what did you have to remove to get at the top bolt ??:confused:

osc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1971 450SL; 1989 911 3.2 Carrera Targa; 1999 BMW 728i
i have done it, with the engine in situ so it is doable.

it helps to feel around if you can get all the muck off it - suggest degreaser and a pressure washer

link not of much help - its just like AP said - but here you go anyway
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as....701&VIN=*&CT=M&cat=043&SID=15&SGR=045&SGN=03

i think you need a lond extension socket to get in and a lot of patience

when you get it loose mind your head because its bluddy heavy, esp when lying upside down

good luck

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
yes it can be done, a very long extension from the rear of the autobox is needed. but if you cannot even get your fingers to it that will be difficult, have you had a look from above to see if you can see it between the block and the bulkhead?

OP
T

tomadaly

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
450SL - 1973 - auto
got it - finally - thanks for all the help.

The bolt on the top was there - behind lots of engine gunk and out of sight from below the engine. The secret is to get at the bolt from the back of the car - along the exhaust pipes. I managed to raise the car another couple of inches which meant I could get at the bolt with a long socket extension and a knuckle joint. I have left the socket on the bolt head - as i hope this will make putting it back in easier.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
well done, not too bad with the long extension is it.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom