R230 SL500 Rattle

Articpaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Details sent :D:D Articpaz

I had a go at replacing the bolts but after a short time the roof said it was gonna close!! so i quickly did the bolt back up. It there any way to prevent the roof from closing itself after a few minutes? ie a sleep mode?

Also do you just lower the roof enough to get to the bolts and then just replace them? wont the two parts of the roof separate when the bolt comes out?

Any advice on how to do it would be appreciated

Thanks

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
Given the complexity of the roof and the number of people who have asked for/done this bolt mod can anyone report back if the mod has actually fixed the problem:cool:

On my car the mod is supposed to have been done as standard due to my VIN...I still get a rattle with the top down over English " country" roads:rolleyes:

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had a go at replacing the bolts but after a short time the roof said it was gonna close!! so i quickly did the bolt back up. It there any way to prevent the roof from closing itself after a few minutes? ie a sleep mode?

Also do you just lower the roof enough to get to the bolts and then just replace them? wont the two parts of the roof separate when the bolt comes out?

Any advice on how to do it would be appreciated

Thanks

Yes, yes, & yes..take a look at TVs original post on this subject ( search). You have to prop the roof to be on the safe side. You had a lucky escape:shock:

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
I've done it - it did help a bit, but not completely.

You need to half open the roof, then fit a length of timber between the front of the roof & the top of the windscreen to stop it moving forward & closing. I also used a broom handle to stick beteen the back of the roof (top) & somewhere in the boot to suit, so it wasn't going anywhere. The swap itself is a couple of minutes a side.

I did reduce the noise by lubricating all rubber seals with silicone spray, particularly where rubber is in direct contact with metal, including where the bootlid contacts the rear screen base & C pillars.

What sounds like rattles & clicks can often be painted metal sliding laterally against rubber when it has effectively stuck together.

It is HUGELY annoying but can be assisted by having the roof down all the time (or turning up the CD volume) !!

Articpaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Thanks guys thats the missing info I was after.

When the roof is supported by the wood can you remove the ignition key?

and will this stop the roof from trying to close by itself after several minutes?

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
you can remove the key or simply turn off the ignition.

Yes it will stop the roof trying to close intentionally, but no it won't stop it from moving either to the closed or the open postion (depending which side of the perfect balanced postion you reached) as the hydraulic pressure drops - that's why you have the wooden "stops" there, but it won't try to force itself open or shut - just the effects of gravity.

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its worth mentioning that the cost of this at your main dealer is going to be less than £100 ( if you haggle on time) £4.50 x2 plus half hours labour.

It could be safer if you arent too sure:rolleyes::lol:

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Its worth mentioning that the cost of this at your main dealer is going to be less than £100 ( if you haggle on time) £4.50 x2 plus half hours labour.

It could be safer if you arent too sure:rolleyes::lol:

Good point - I agree.

The only downside is that there are no guarantees that it will achieve the desired result (silence!!) which then leads one into the open ended MB "replace everything (big) bit at a time until the problem goes away" which would be very expensive.

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thats why they may be reluctant to do the job in the first place...make it clear what the deal is.They do what you ask with no guarantees about the noise ( just the roof still working OK:shock:)

You have no guarantees if you DIY

Articpaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
The other thing i was worried about is after you replaced the bolts and turn the ignition on will the roof know where it is (half open) and close its self ok?

I think i will pop over to the dealer and get a quote, better safe than sorry!!

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
yes it does, but I think your proposed course of action is probably the most appropriate

mcpie

Reaction score
Hi Television,

Can you send me the sheet too?

My R230 is a bit noisy. Scottish roads don't help. Took it to Switzerland last year and enjoyed two weeks of noise free driving!

Kind Regards,

Ron

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Hi Television,

Can you send me the sheet too?

My R230 is a bit noisy. Scottish roads don't help. Took it to Switzerland last year and enjoyed two weeks of noise free driving!

Kind Regards,

Ron

Hi Ron - Malcolm (Television) is away for about 2 weeks - I have some of the sheets so if you can say which ones you want (or where your McRattles seem to be coming from) I will look to see if I have the relevant bits & we can take it from there

mcpie

Reaction score
Hi David,

Many Thanks.

Its quite tricky to tell where they are coming from exactly as there are quite a few of the little beggers. I'll try to summarise:

Plasticky trim vibration from the glass pano roof. More from UK near side.

Crunchy loud noise going over harsh ground from behind nearside seat headrest. (Suspect the car is flexing quite a bit when I hear that one)

Rattle/noise from bottom corners above parcel shelf. Base of c pillars maybe?

Still happy with the car (an unmolested 30,000 mile SL350 in Tanzenite Blue with Alpaca grey interior) with FMBH... Just a shame it rattles so much. The only car I had which rattle more was my 130,000 mile Alfa 156 V6

Kind Regards,

Ron

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
OK - I'll send all that appear applicable (hours of endless fun in there!) - can you put up your email address so I can send? You can edit out in 10 minutes to prevent the spam

mcpie

Reaction score
Many Thanks!

Need two new bolts, some silicone oil and grease and a pice of wood!

Will let you know how I get on!

Ron

Last edited:

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
ok - got that - you can edit it out now.

There are a few which I will email separately

Good luck!

Panish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500
Hi Ron - Malcolm (Television) is away for about 2 weeks - I have some of the sheets so if you can say which ones you want (or where your McRattles seem to be coming from) I will look to see if I have the relevant bits & we can take it from there

Hi David,

Noticed that Television is away for a couple of weeks, is it possible you can send me the sheets. The rattle is from the rear passenger side although seems to be spreading

Thanks
Panish

Email is enabled

Panish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500
SL500 roof rattle

My roof rattle is getting worse on SL500, any chance someone can forward me the mod sheet, keep reading about 2 bolts to help with the matter

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom