Rear seat stuck W203 estate

KingsC320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320CDI
Hi all, im new around here.
I have gone to fold the larger section of the split rear seats and it is stuck solid, with the luggage cover firmly in place!
The release handle has a bit of resistance, so I don't think the cable has unattached itself but possibly stretched.

I have been searching the forum for others who have had the same problem on the W203 but have come up blank. (found lots of e class with the same problem)
Would getting to the release mechanism be very similar on the e class as my W203, so I can make a start at tring to fix it.

Any help/advice would be appreciated

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hi all, I'm new around here.
I have gone to fold the larger section of the split rear seats and it is stuck solid, with the luggage cover firmly in place!
The release handle has a bit of resistance, so I don't think the cable has unattached itself but possibly stretched.

I have been searching the forum for others who have had the same problem on the W203 but have come up blank. (found lots of e class with the same problem)
Would getting to the release mechanism be very similar on the e class as my W203, so I can make a start at tring to fix it.

Any help/advice would be appreciated

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Your problem has been discussed quite recently on the Forum, so I don't know what key words you used on searching, but it would be worth trying more - search seems to be quite specific in my experience!

Hopefully some of those involved in the last discussion will join in to help.

OP
K

KingsC320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320CDI
On further inspection last night, the secondary locking mechanism on the hinge by the armrest seems to be releasing ok, but the main catch is still stuck.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I will try and get some info on this if the fault is listed

OP
K

KingsC320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320CDI
I will try and get some info on this if the fault is listed

I appreciate any help you can give, the last thing I want to do is take it to the stealers and get bent over!

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Have you folded the small section of the rear seat first?

If not, if the luggage cover is in place, you will need to fold the small seat section first, allowing the larger section (to which the load cover is attached) to fold.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05

If not, if the luggage cover is in place, you will need to fold the small seat section first, allowing the larger section (to which the load cover is attached) to fold.

Good call, this caught me out when I first had the car :Oops: :)

OP
K

KingsC320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320CDI

Have tried with small section folded, still will not move.
In looking at the small seat catch mechanism (as i've managed to remove the handle pull surround) to see what parts should be moving, that has now stuck fast in the upright position!
Thanks for the links, have already had a look at them to get some ideas.

I have put some WD40 down into the mechanism to see if that will free anything up (wishful thinking, I know!) before I start to remove the seat leather and carpet.

As the luggage cover is firmly in place, has anyone got an idea how you can fold the fabric on the back side of the rear seat (ideally without cutting it) to be able to gain access to the mechanism?

I've only had the car a few weeks and its reduced carrying capacity is starting to annoy me :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will look this evening to see if there is anything that will help

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have quite a lot of info on this but I cannot print it off for a few days

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I can't find anything that doesn't start with the seats folded....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can't find anything that doesn't start with the seats folded....

Info on removing the covers and replacing the cable, it is a matter of using the info so that you do the least damage, once you know where all the fittings are it can make a difference, there is nothing else to be had

OP
K

KingsC320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320CDI
I've managed to get the seats to fold!

The only problem is I now need 2 new catch mechanisms! The only way I could see what was wrong was to break the handle to gain access to release the vertical rod to the catch.

Jeffj

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-class/2004/1.8k
Hi everyone.

Did anyone have any luck doing this without breaking the handle? I also have the same problem. The larger section center catch is releasing, however the catch next to the door will not.

Any input at all is greatly appreciated.

jjayp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230 2.5 Estate 2006
Sorry for Bumping this but I'm struggling here. C230 2.5 estate, jammed passenger side rear seat release. Pretty identical to all the others, drivers side releases fine, it's only a toggle lever on the top of the seat, passenger side the seat is is locked in place but the indicator is still up. There is tension in the toggle lever so it's not likely the cable is broken. Any suggestions except for sledgehammer or kicking the living daylights out of it.

jjayp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230 2.5 Estate 2006
Sorry for Bumping this but I'm struggling here. C230 2.5 estate, jammed passenger side rear seat release. Pretty identical to all the others, drivers side releases fine, it's only a toggle lever on the top of the seat, passenger side the seat is is locked in place but the indicator is still up. There is tension in the toggle lever so it's not likely the cable is broken. Any suggestions except for sledgehammer or kicking the living daylights out of i

Attachments

• 86AF64C5-29AF-4112-A961-C36E85FF11D5.jpeg
    86AF64C5-29AF-4112-A961-C36E85FF11D5.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 5
  • 29AD4897-AD3F-459A-AD31-E556A6A84549.jpeg
    29AD4897-AD3F-459A-AD31-E556A6A84549.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 5

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Sorry for Bumping this but I'm struggling here. C230 2.5 estate, jammed passenger side rear seat release. Pretty identical to all the others, drivers side releases fine, it's only a toggle lever on the top of the seat, passenger side the seat is is locked in place but the indicator is still up. There is tension in the toggle lever so it's not likely the cable is broken. Any suggestions except for sledgehammer or kicking the living daylights out of i
Has the seatbelt got caught in the mechanism?
I’d be tempted to give it a really good shove backwards to get it to lock. Wouldn’t be the first time somethings got caught in it stopping it closing :(

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom