Recommend a good tyre place

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Found a nail in my tyre, which is odd as its been parked in my drive for the last few days where there was nothing untoward when I reached home... Anyhow, I would like to ask for suggestions on a reliable company that can carry out home repairs... I am assuming this is not covered by Mobilo?
you can have screws and nails in tyres for months, the vast majority hold air no issues at all - it wouldn't surprise me if a survey was done 40% of cars would have at least one punctured tyre on the car. In fact where I live I'd wager it will be way of 60% - When you ride a bicycle you can see and thus pick up a handful of nails tacks screws and stuff every ride.

And if you look at cars in the UK we'd see

18" wheels I bet 10% have a cracked rim
19" wheels I bet 20% have at least one cracked rim and an oval inner
20" wheels I bet 35% have at least two cracked rims and an oval inner
21" wheels I bet 40% have at least two cracked rims and all four have an oval inner

A mate just started doing some ad hoc stuff for a bloke that runs a wheel refurb business - they spend their life welding wheels and claim BMW and Merc are by far the worst wheels out there. With the finish clearly half as durable as the industry standard and the worst for getting cracks - yet he's been told Germany don't believe they build faulty wheels as there is no issue at home - but acknowledge there is a severe issue in the UK with wheels failing

they got off !

In 2015, the Mercedes-Benz S550 cracked rims lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey – Luppino et al. v. Mercedes-Benz USA LLC. The plaintiffs accused the car company of manufacturing and selling cars with defective rims that bent, warped and cracked in typical driving conditions.

The class-action lawsuit included nearly 1.6 million owners of Mercedes vehicles equipped with 17-inch, 18-inch or 19-inch AMG or non-AMG rims. The affected vehicles included any 2006-current models equipped with those rims.

alloywheel1.jpg

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
when I had a set of OEM Merc 18" wheels refurbed they rang me up wanting £85 to weld a crack up on one of them.... I didn't believe them, so took another spare wheel with me to see this alleged crack... the acid washed and media blasted wheel (I still have) has a crack exactly as per the picture above... Still not confident it was really one of the set I had given them !!!!! and one of the refurbed wheels has a bubbled up spot after just 2 years and 6k miles (they are made of utter rubbish)

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003 R230, E400d 4MATIC Coupe 2021
Looks like the class action got dismissed along with its appeals…

Reading around, advice seems to be to run tyres on higher pressures. So the question for me is, if the recommended tyre pressure for the run flats is 38psi (OEM so assume the pressure relates to run flats), how much over can I go for non-run flats without fear of tyre burst or any other elements implications to safety or drive?

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
go by the label for your car (fuel cap or a pillar) and a couple of psi over if you want over pressure.

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003 R230, E400d 4MATIC Coupe 2021
go by the label for your car (fuel cap or a pillar) and a couple of psi over if you want over pressure.
Thank you... so it doesn't matter if run flat or non-run flat... The chap put in 2psi over the cap, and the ride has been better... I read that low pressures may also cause cracked wheels... so will keep my eye on the pressures in this car... Never had a tyre problem before, but you live and learn....

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
And if you look at cars in the UK we'd see

18" wheels I bet 10% have a cracked rim
19" wheels I bet 20% have at least one cracked rim and an oval inner
20" wheels I bet 35% have at least two cracked rims and an oval inner
21" wheels I bet 40% have at least two cracked rims and all four have an oval inner

A mate just started doing some ad hoc stuff for a bloke that runs a wheel refurb business - they spend their life welding wheels and claim BMW and Merc are by far the worst wheels out there. With the finish clearly half as durable as the industry standard and the worst for getting cracks - yet he's been told Germany don't believe they build faulty wheels as there is no issue at home - but acknowledge there is a severe issue in the UK with wheels failing

I bet the wheels are not made in Germany, they are farmed out to the likes of Ronal, Rondell in Eastern Europe or China or whoever will make them cheapest.

BMW and MB are shocking and the replacement prices are criminal (Costs around £40 to make a standard 20" wheel).

Our roads are a major factor, they are simply too rough

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I bet the wheels are not made in Germany, they are farmed out to the likes of Ronal, Rondell in Eastern Europe or China or whoever will make them cheapest.

BMW and MB are shocking and the replacement prices are criminal (Costs around £40 to make a standard 20" wheel).

Our roads are a major factor, they are simply too rough
one of the better ones has Belgium cast in it - the real trash is germany

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom