Recommended independent MB garage near Wimbledon/SW London to replace CPS/MAF?

c240amg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001, W203 saloon
Hi all,

First a little story...
I have a W203, 2001, c-class sedan, auto. FMBSH, Last service Jan '09.
I was driving for about 2 hours, then came to a slow stop at the traffic lights. I lost braking power (as in the brake was very light and spongy - but they still worked), and the dashboard lit up like a xmas tree. Every single light was on! :confused:

I turned the engine off, tried to turn it over. Wouldn't budge. Tried to turn the steering wheel and that wouldn't budge either. Pulled the Tomtom from the 12v socket.
Put the gear stick to park, started it up again, and then it worked. Was kinda panicking, as I was the first car at the lights, and a whole load of cars were beeping at me.
After about 10-15 seconds of faffing about and the car finally starting, I managed to drive the car to a road and parked and checked it again... no malfunctions, no nothing.

I've read in other posts that it could be CPS (crankshaft position sensor) or other MAF (mass airflow) sensors that need replacing, but I can't afford that as I have jsut been made redundant.

So can anyone recommend a good independent to sort this out around my area? as I can't afford the main dealer prices now :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It will be the CPS that has gone and not the MAF you could use any Bosch service center

Use the dealer locator, their labour rates are quite good.

So to here that you have lost your job.

If this only happened the once could the car have just stalled, with 90% of CPS fault the car will always start again when cooled a little.

http://www.boschautoparts.co.uk/#

This part does not show up on diagnostics

izy_wizy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI 2004
I am not recomending but these are two indies in the Wimbledon area.

SMC Garret Lane 0208 944 9966

James Leigh next to the hand car wash place near Merton Abbey Mills 0208 542 3366

Last edited:
OP
C

c240amg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001, W203 saloon
It will be the CPS that has gone and not the MAF you could use any Bosch service center

Use the dealer locator, their labour rates are quite good.

If this only happened the once could the car have just stalled, with 90% of CPS fault the car will always start again when cooled a little.

http://www.boschautoparts.co.uk/#

This part does not show up on diagnostics

Thanks for that, I've contacted a local Bosch service centre, and this is the reply I got from them:
Thanks for your reply, we run 3 separate diagnostic systems, Bosch KTS, Wurth WOW with Mercedes package and the Snap on Modis, have you had a diagnostics carried out already and can I please have the full chassis number from WDB_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Is it a bit iffy that they're asking for the chassis number? I already mentioned it's a 2001 saloon, W203.

ShinyF1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Contemplating my next
I am not recomending but these are two indies in the Wimbledon area.

SMC Garret Lane 0208 944 9966

James Leigh next to the hand car wash place near Merton Abbey Mills 0208 542 3366

SMC were OK for my old 5 series, less encouraging with my W210. I take a trip down to Horndean [Prestige Car Service] for my needs nowadays.

SMC don't seem to be aware of many of the issues that are commonplace with 210s.

You might also want to give Mercervices a go in Tooting/Colliers Wood [the old Geyfords workshop]. They seem good if a bit pricey

jp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E280 sport estate. Aprilia RSV1000 Tuono, CCM 404, Mk1 le mans
Go and talk to Martin of Martins Autos on Kingston Road. I've used him for years now and everyone I've recomended him to has stayed with him. He is very honest and trustworthy and must be good as last but one time I was there he had a one year old sl500 in a million pieces and a week later it was fixed and gone! 020 8540 0036

anton1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Porsche Boxster S, MY08 S Class
TM Motors, West Molesey(Just down A3) - 0208 941 4044. Recommended to a couple of owners on here and both have been very impressed.

Sorry to here of job loss.

Hertfordshire Merx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160
Contact David Stannard at MercServices in Tooting High Street. Let him know that Phillip from Hertfordshire Merx recommended him. And to give me a call please!

124coupe

Reaction score
Thanks for that, I've contacted a local Bosch service centre, and this is the reply I got from them:

Is it a bit iffy that they're asking for the chassis number? I already mentioned it's a 2001 saloon, W203.

They would need the VIN to make sure they have the right part(s) and also to setup the Snap-On diag box....

Veridian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230...about to purchase will update shortly
TM Motors, West Molesey(Just down A3) - 0208 941 4044. Recommended to a couple of owners on here and both have been very impressed.

I'd recommend these guys too.. they are about 2 miles away from me which is very handy. They replaced the front bushes, drop links and rear brakes plus did a STAR full once over/reset for me in February for about £300. Plus gave me a report of a few upcoming things that will need doing idc - (engine mounts etc).
I went in thinking my front brakes were getting low - but turned out they still had meat on them, but the backs which I hadnt looked at, were the ones that needed changing.

Good luck.

OP
C

c240amg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001, W203 saloon
Hmm...

it seems to be happening again... driving at night, lights on, indicated to go right. Pressed the accelerator, bam.... dashboard lit up and lost all power - engine off, power steering out, braking peddle hard to press.... Scares me to take this car out if it's stalling and stopping at a major junction, it could cause accidents....

Also just after starting up the car, and reversing, the car almost stalls, and revving up the engine kinda stops this....

am thinking it couldn't be the CPS (Crankhaft Pos. sensor) again? I only had it replaced just over 2 years ago.....

Not sure what I should do now? Suggestions?

Last edited:
A

andy@pcd-ltd

First thing would be to get the fault codes read again and see what is going on

Also was the cps replaced with a genuine merc sensor.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom