rejoining Merc ownership, questions

Not_Anumber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E350cdi prefaclift
Hi, Im hopefully rejoining th ranks of Mercedes owners soon having been offered a S212 E350cdi estate. Its pre facelift, I think a 2012 or 2013. . Ive had several Mercs previously, W124 estate, W124 coupe, W126, R107 and lastly a W210 estate before somehow ending up with an Audi A7. Time to make amends I think.

It has Buleefficency badges on the side, AMG line type wheels and front seats but couldnt work out what spec it is. Stupidly I didnt make a note of the vin number when i drove it, is there anyway of finding out the trim level from the registration does anyone know ?

The only things that are making me hesitate are:

I couldnt find an audio aux input or a slot for playing mp3s from USB sticks or SD cards. There is a proprietary socket in the box under the armrest but nothing plugged into it. Does anyone know if there are adapter leads available so I can plug USB sticks into this please ?

Is it easy to get used to the column mounted auto gearchange ? At first sight it seems a bit awkward to use after a standard automatic stick shift with it's separate button on the centre console to change between S and E modes.

The tailgate opens nicely from the key and the switch on the drivers door but these wont close it, that can only be done from the button on the underside of the tailgate itself. Does anyone know if this can be DIY reprogrammed to close from the key ?

Does anyone know how many bhp the 350 blueefficiency is please ? Does the blueefficiency mean this is an detuned 350 compared to a standard E350 cdi ?

Im not sure if it has DAB radio. If not is it practical to DIY upgrade ?

Are updated Sat nav maps available at reasonable, non dealership, cost

Has anyone upsized the standard COMMAND/Satnav screen. Were larger ones available in other spec cars that could be swapped across. Ive got too used to a larger screen.

Chris

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Welcome, Chris. :)

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
Welcome :)

Column shift comes naturally after a little time. Don't thimk Bluefficiency models have any less BHP than others. Sport/AMG-line models will have paddle-shift and ali-look pedals, as well as some side skirts and front spoiler.

I'm sure some bright spark on here can tell you how to get the build sheet from the VRN, but that person isn't me :(

Reactions: DSK
OP
N

Not_Anumber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E350cdi prefaclift
Thanks for the advice. The column shift worried me a bit. It looks like there are adapters available to play mp3s from USB sticks which was one of my sticking points. I will get hold of the VIN later today so should be able to find out a bit more about the car. Very many plus points and my current car has done so many miles I really should move on before it becomes worthless.
Im 90% decided now. Just the lack of DAB and the small size of the COMMAND/ Satnav screen are the only downers for me.
It is very hard to resist going back to a Mercedes again, especially when it looks this good.

IMG-20220123-WA0005.jpg

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Hello and welcome

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hi and welcome.
If the connector looks like this then you can get usb adaptors cheaply and easily or even Bluetooth audio ones.
PXL_20220101_151251460~2.jpg

Are you sure you can't close the boot from the inside button? Pull to open, push to close.
That's the way the tailgate on my 61 plate R class works

OP
N

Not_Anumber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E350cdi prefaclift
Thanks LostKiwi, thats greta another doubt sorted, it does have that connector in the armrest. I only viewed the car briefly so didnt realise the inside release button pushed down as well as up, excellent

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Chris welcome to the forum :)

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Thanks for the advice. The column shift worried me a bit. It looks like there are adapters available to play mp3s from USB sticks which was one of my sticking points. I will get hold of the VIN later today so should be able to find out a bit more about the car. Very many plus points and my current car has done so many miles I really should move on before it becomes worthless.
Im 90% decided now. Just the lack of DAB and the small size of the COMMAND/ Satnav screen are the only downers for me.
It is very hard to resist going back to a Mercedes again, especially when it looks this good.

View attachment 74083

I like the S212 in darker colours as it hides it's bulk , I looked quickly and thought it was a S204.

Only issues with that one is tinted 3/4 as opposed to factory option privacy glass and diamond cut wheels.

Top Bottom