Remote parking, does anyone actually use this ?

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Think a lot on here are still confusing active park assist and remote parking, as said I don’t think remote is available in the uk?
It is definitely available as I have it in my car, just too scared to use it given my experience with parking assist when sat in the car with my foot over the brake pedal. One of my friends has it and has used it.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
It is definitely available as I have it in my car, just too scared to use it given my experience with parking assist when sat in the car with my foot over the brake pedal. One of my friends has it and has used it.

Nope.

Remote parking is not done from inside the car.

This is the difference as intimated by John. It's done remotely, usually by a phone.

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
ok to clarify things, here's exactly what i'm talking about, in this video you can see me start the car from outside and reverse it back into another parking spot using an app on my phone.

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Nope.

Remote parking is not done from inside the car.

This is the difference as intimated by John. It's done remotely, usually by a phone.

That's the point I'm making. Parking assist where I'm sat in the car with my foot over the brake pedal did not fill me with confidence, so I'm not going to try remote parking. I have the app on my phone, and it is paired with my car so I CAN park it from outside the vehicle, but I don't trust it. I have seen a friend do it with the app, stood outside his car, but it is a company car, so he was less concerned if it got dented.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
In that case please accept my apologies. I assumed you meant the parking assist when you mentioned sitting in the car.

I genuinely didn't think that the remote parking was available in the UK having never seen it.

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
In that case please accept my apologies. I assumed you meant the parking assist when you mentioned sitting in the car.

I genuinely didn't think that the remote parking was available in the UK having never seen it.

No offence taken :). It is part of the Premium Plus package (on the E Class at least) so not overtly advertised. I suspect the reason very few have seen it is because 1) despite being very clever, it's pretty pointless, 2) Like me, most people are probably too scared to actually use it :eek:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
No offence taken :). It is part of the Premium Plus package (on the E Class at least) so not overtly advertised. I suspect the reason very few have seen it is because 1) despite being very clever, it's pretty pointless, 2) Like me, most people are probably too scared to actually use it :eek:
I also have an apology to make, every day is a school day !

ShaunB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 Designo Hyacinth E63
Guys

I suspect no one will know the answer, and I'll just have to pluck up the courage to try it.

My driveway is pretty tight when the E63 is being parked, and it can be a bit of a squeeze getting in/out.
For instance, I must reverse park as there is a small dividing wall between my house and next door, so when I reverse park, the drivers door is at the gable wall of my house.
Could I park the car at the top of the driveway where there is ample room to get out due to the garden being on the drivers side, and use the remote parking app to get the car to reverse down the drive/drive back out in the morning?

Trying to see if I can avoid a wet ass getting in/out of the car when its wet just.
I had a quick play with the remote parking app last night in a big carpark, bit fiddly I found to get the car moving continually, maybe I was doing something wrong, but it was also very cold, and I was not terribly patient

drive.jpg

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
does not qualify as useful tech ,in my view its just another gimmick that most will likely only try once, which in itself is telling a story... and IF yr car belts something who is liable you or maker ? and therein my view of system ..BSBB

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Guys

I suspect no one will know the answer, and I'll just have to pluck up the courage to try it.

My driveway is pretty tight when the E63 is being parked, and it can be a bit of a squeeze getting in/out.
For instance, I must reverse park as there is a small dividing wall between my house and next door, so when I reverse park, the drivers door is at the gable wall of my house.
Could I park the car at the top of the driveway where there is ample room to get out due to the garden being on the drivers side, and use the remote parking app to get the car to reverse down the drive/drive back out in the morning?

Trying to see if I can avoid a wet ass getting in/out of the car when its wet just.
I had a quick play with the remote parking app last night in a big carpark, bit fiddly I found to get the car moving continually, maybe I was doing something wrong, but it was also very cold, and I was not terribly patient

View attachment 53790
That is parking with damage challenges on both sides, that low wall is a wheel and door bottom nightmare. I'd move if that was mine.

ShaunB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The picture is a bit deceiving, there is a height different between the two driveways.
So on next doors side, the low wall is maybe only 3 or 4 inches tall.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Oh Shaun, that is a bit tight, I think I would have got a Motorbike
The picture is a bit deceiving, there is a height different between the two driveways.
So on next doors side, the low wall is maybe only 3 or 4 inches tall.

Its five courses of bricks so that would equate to 15" tall :)

ShaunB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1960's driveways vs modern day big cars.
First world problems and all that :)
I just thought the gimmick remote parking might actually come in useful.
I guess there's only one way I'll only know if it will work or not

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
1960's driveways vs modern day big cars.
First world problems and all that :)
I just thought the gimmick remote parking might actually come in useful.
I guess there's only one way I'll only know if it will work or not

go to dealer tell em yr thinking of buying, have them demo the ideal 4 you.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
As I said on t'other side, I wonder whether that small wall would confuse it. I think the system works best when there are objects either side which it can use to calculate the position of the car. I don’t think it works too well with ordinary kerbs. As someone said, best try it very carefully and be prepared to stop if it gets close to either wall.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Guys

View attachment 53790

To me, your drive looks like what the designers had in mind when they came up with remote parking. I'd make sure of the low wall - do your parking sensors pick it up when reversing in?

ShaunB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To me, your drive looks like what the designers had in mind when they came up with remote parking. I'd make sure of the low wall - do your parking sensors pick it up when reversing in?
Yeah, pretty sure they do. I will check in 10 mins as I need to move the car out
ok to clarify things, here's exactly what i'm talking about, in this video you can see me start the car from outside and reverse it back into another parking spot using an app on my phone.
Any chance you could upload that video again please, link seems to have expired.

ShaunB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I just checked there as I never pay a huge amount of attention to the sensors when going in/out of the driveway as I use the 360 camera, but the sensors do pick it up a bit.
I just tried the app there now with the car in the drive, it does seem like it'll work, but its actually quite unnerving standing behind the car moving it using the phone.
My brain seems to think what if it just goes and doesn't stop.

The other thing is you don't realise how how loud the car is until you start it up while you're standing behind it.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom