Repairing Minor Scratches And Spider Webs

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
OK pro tip if you really want that bling shine then 3M ROSA before wax :)

I still have some tins of 3m cutting paste from the finest one made and up,,,might be a bit hard by now ;)

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
I use menzerna with a g220 da polisher, the menz is good on those cars with the harder finish on them, and most German cars are like this.

Never felt the need to do it with my w211 but made the paint on my 2008 passat in blue 'pop', it had been a hire car for 6 months and obviously washed with a brush. Hopefully it's these rather than true paint defects.

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
DA Polisher

3M Green Yellow Blue pads /cutting, polishing

simple

you start with the green pad with the green bottle fine cutting (this polishes up well alone) then onto the fine yellow pad and polish and finish with the blue pad and ultrafina SE

Add Collinite 476 or the 3M rosa(its easier to apply in colder weather)

I did my old SLK and when i finished it looked so so good

I polished out the fine scratches around the door handle on my C class on Sunday with the 3M green

Troon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A big one
Take it easy and dont have a go at Malc he was only trying to help out here

No "go" intended, and full apologies if that's how it was interpreted. Malcolm was suggesting a significant paint defect requiring stripping to bare metal, whereas I suspected run-of-the-mill swirls and was keen that the OP didn't break out the Nitromors and rattle cans! ::shock:

I treat my car so carefully (takes me ages to park anywhere ;) ) and am really cautious about applying any products to the car that could damage the paint.

I also have just had it cleaned as part of the first service

I think I've found your problem. ;)

Swirls are a fact of life, sadly. My Cubanite silver car doesn't show them up so much, but my previous grey Mondeo did. However, an annual clay, couple of coats of SRP applied as per the thread I linked above and a bi-annual wax with 476s reduced these almost to nothing, despite its nearly-150k miles and nine years.

Attachments

• image_url-24112-1284460814.jpg
    image_url-24112-1284460814.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

b1g1an

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG
I'm not a believer in removing paint unnecessarily and it's much easier to hide the flaws anyway.

I use 3M Imperial Hand Glaze which will fill all but the deepest scratches and with those it hides the edges so you really have to look closely for them anyway, wipe it on, count to ten and wipe off the residue, don't let it harden for too long as it's then a bitch to get off. Paint feels like glass afterwards and has a very deep shine.

This is the stuff bodyshops use to hide their dodgy work and car dealers for creating that showroom shine that mysteriously disappears when you first wash it. It's like a heavyweight version of the Autoglym SRP and needs a sealant to lock it in so it doesn't wash off just the same. I use Turtle Wax Gloss Guard which goes on so easily, literally wipe on, wipe off, and lasts for ages.

No cutting, no machines and as good a finish as most people really want, JMHO obviously.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm not a believer in removing paint unnecessarily and it's much easier to hide the flaws anyway.

I use 3M Imperial Hand Glaze which will fill all but the deepest scratches and with those it hides the edges so you really have to look closely for them anyway, wipe it on, count to ten and wipe off the residue, don't let it harden for too long as it's then a bitch to get off. Paint feels like glass afterwards and has a very deep shine.

This is the stuff bodyshops use to hide their dodgy work and car dealers for creating that showroom shine that mysteriously disappears when you first wash it. It's like a heavyweight version of the Autoglym SRP and needs a sealant to lock it in so it doesn't wash off just the same. I use Turtle Wax Gloss Guard which goes on so easily, literally wipe on, wipe off, and lasts for ages.

No cutting, no machines and as good a finish as most people really want, JMHO obviously.

I too have never had the need to do anything, I have all the tools and materials but they were only ever used on paint work that I had redone, yet my 230 and my CL look like new :D

OP
G

GazzaS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2012 2.2l
Hi all,

Wow, I've opened a can of worms here.

Television - You mentioned diluted T-Cut. What do you use to dilute it?

So it sounds to me that the best thing to do for the swirls is the Wax polish. Lots of been recommended, but whats the best in terms of ease of application and final finish? ;)

Then for the minor scratches it sounds like I should first try the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and see if that covers it. If not then go with the Meg's Ultimate Compound. I presume this is fine for small areas.

Thanks again, all of you make this forum great!

Gary

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I use water with T cut, it dilutes it well, do not use anything in the sun or it bakes it on, if you are only taking away swirl marks it will not much effort.

Something else that I do is to apply diluted T cut and then use a polish on top, them polish it off and that is much easier. when all clean and good apply a good top wax.

I would never pay £500 for anyone to clean it,,it all gets dirty again on the first shower

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom