Replacing battery, battery Amps, C200 205 series Sport estate

Nikki2512

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDI sport 2008, C200 Sport Estate 205 series 2015
Hi, I need to replace the battery on our c200 205 series (with stop start) and wanted to know if the lack of power during the short changeover will result in any issues such as radio, clock settings being lost, or indeed anything more series.
I know for our CLC 203 series, changing the battery only results in the clock having to be reset and the radio and everything else is fine.
Just do not want to remove the 205 series battery to find flashing Christmas tree error lights since the newer models appear so much more temperamental !

I was also thinking of buying the higher rated Bosch 80 amp S5A11 Battery rather than the BoshS08 70 amp since the price is similar. Is this worthwhile ? Iam looking at Bosch since they offer a 5 year guarantee compared with other brands.

Thanks
Nikki

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Most smart chargers have a power supply setting, if you choose this and connect to the jump start points under the bonnet, a 12v dc supply will be maintained to the car's electrical distribution system during the changeover, you would just need to be careful with the battery leads when disconnected as the positive lead will still be live from the connected charger! I find an old rubber glove handy to slip over the live lead to insulate it while you work on changing the battery over, in selecting a larger capacity battery you just need to confirm it is the same physical size as the original so it's a straight swap and will fit into the cradle and retaining brackets and fixings but always replace with the same chemical technology as the original.

OP
N

Nikki2512

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Tony, thanks for the quick reply !
I have a Ctec smart charger. If I connect to the jump terminals, will the car electrical feed remain live even when the battery is removed ? I had heard people using jump leads but had hesitant to date since feared shorting.

More powerful Battery is longer but same width and height and will fit battery tray.

Thanks Nikki

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
You could also use a spare slave battery if you have one, again being careful not to short any connections when removing the battery currently fitted. That's exactly what l did when changing the battery recently on my 209 coupe and saves having to reset anything.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Tony, thanks for the quick reply !
I have a Ctec smart charger. If I connect to the jump terminals, will the car electrical feed remain live even when the battery is removed ? I had heard people using jump leads but had hesitant to date since feared shorting.

More powerful Battery is longer but same width and height and will fit battery tray.

Thanks Nikki
Yes, just slacken off the battery clamps and ensure all other leads are left connected. Using jump leads from another battery is also an option but the bigger leads and clamps can be more cumbersome and more obtrusive likely to be knocked off during your changeover. If the optional battery will fit and can be clamped down securely there's no reason why you shouldn't go with the larger capacity battery.

OP
N

Nikki2512

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Graham and Tony, thanks for your suggestions.

I think I will go for the larger battery size and use leads to keep a constant power supply.

PaulR7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C220d W205
Nikki

I've worked on my car (W205) a few times over the last month connecting up all sorts of different electrical components and every single time I just disconnected the negative terminal and had no problems whatsoever with the car afterwards, didn't even need to set the clock or reset the windows so I figure you should be pretty safe just doing a normal swap.

OP
N

Nikki2512

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Paul, that is even better news since it avoids having to keep cables live and the risk of shorting during changeover. Thanks

bc100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S205 C250 BluTec Estate 2014
Does the aux battery not take care of the loss of the main one?

PaulR7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C220d W205
Does the aux battery not take care of the loss of the main one?
There is no auxiliary battery in a 205, only a voltage converter for start/stop function.

bc100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think it can perform the function of supplying power whilst the main one is temporarily removed. I know it's not actually a battery, I think it is a bank of capacitors. I'm new to my car so I should investigate further as so many people have trouble with it.

PaulR7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C220d W205
I think it can perform the function of supplying power whilst the main one is temporarily removed. I know it's not actually a battery, I think it is a bank of capacitors. I'm new to my car so I should investigate further as so many people have trouble with it.
Yes it is a bank of capacitors and it can supply the power for auxiliary things for maybe a minute, two at most if it's well charged just before but it only does so during the stop part of the start/stop system, definitely not when you disconnect the main battery.

bc100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On my previous 203 I had the battery changed and the garage put power on the OBD port I think.

When you disconnected the -ve terminal what steps did you take?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
On my previous 203 I had the battery changed and the garage put power on the OBD port I think.

You should never back feed via the OBD port, way too easy to damage sensitive electrickery.

Much better to apply power via the +ve terminal under the bonnet

PaulR7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C220d W205

Unlock the car, pop the bonnet, take key way away from it if you have keyless entry, wait 30 minutes and then disconnect the negative terminal.
The car will be as dead as a doornail and you can carry out whatever work you need to carry out without worrying of messing up your electronic components.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom