philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Hi All

A simple question (hopefully).

Are there one or two serpentine belts belts on this engine and does anything have to disassembled to change it/them? It looks like a straightforward job which I will let my indie do. I realise correct belt tensioning is paramount for long life.

I believe my existing belt(s) is/are original fitments and the accessory belt is now showing cracks. The car has covered 120,000 reliable miles in 9 years.

What would be the consequence of accessory belt failure? No alternator, no air conditioning, no engine cooling? Braking? Steering? What else is at risk?

I assume the supercharger is operated by its own belt but does this belt operate other subsystems?

No direct engine damage would result because the valve gear is operated by a separate duplex chain. But what about overheating?

REGARDS

Phil

Ultymate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K Estate 1998
I run a 1998 230 K and it has 2 belts providing you have a diagram of the way the belts run they are extremely easy to change. Being a retired auto technician I changed mine myself, took about 15 mins one spanner required and they are auto-tensioning so no probs there (easier if you take off the cooling fan shroud) barely got my hands dirty ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I run a 1998 230 K and it has 2 belts providing you have a diagram of the way the belts run they are extremely easy to change. Being a retired auto technician I changed mine myself, took about 15 mins one spanner required and they are auto-tensioning so no probs there (easier if you take off the cooling fan shroud) barely got my hands dirty ;)

And that is the ultimate answer,,;):D It is easy to do

OP
philharve

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Two belts for a C230K

Hi Ultymate

Thanks for that report. I have seen 3 'belt diagrams' for the W202 C class and Malcolm provided a 4th via the Russian website. It was this 'variety' of options that prompted my question because I've never been brave enough to take a close look myself. My days of getting down and dirty are over.

I have never seen my supercharger but I suspect it's tucked away, hidden low down on the lefthand side, as viewed looking at the engine from above with the bonnet up.

For technical reasons I assumed the supercharger would have its own belt because it takes quite a few shaft horsepower to rotate the vanes of a Roots-type supercharger at several thousand rpm. That's a lot of power for one belt to transmit. The longer accessory belt is probably on lighter duties despite running several subsystems.

I've seen the second belt and it looks easy enough to replace. I don't think anything has to be removed to gain access in order to replace it?

I'm assuming that if you replace one belt you may as well replace both? They are not that expensive and they do last a long time.

It is my impression that in order to change the supercharger belt you have first to remove, if only partially, the longer accessory belt?

The '15 minutes' is very useful information because I'm pretty sure my indie will replace both belts, if required, free of charge. He's like that! Of course I'll still have to pay for the belts but they won't break the bank. I parted with 334 smackers just a week ago for corrosion repairs to a couple doors. My wallet is used to taking a little abuse once in a while but I find funding the replacement or worn parts easier to digest than the costs of corrosion repairs which should not have been necessary in the first place.

REGARDS

Phil

Last edited:
OP
philharve

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Hi Malcolm

I'm confused. How does the diagram of a Mercedes foot-operated parking brake relate to engine belts and their replacement?

REGARDS

Phil

Malc means "put the handbrake on" before starting any work on it!:D:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
philharve

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
It's not that clear cut!

Hi All

I had a long chat with my indie this afternoon about Poly/Serpentine belts and he informed me that merely knowing a vehicle's model number is no guaranty that it will have a particular poly belt configuration. In his long experience the only way to tell is to look under the bonnet, something I've yet to do. The C230K came with either 1 or 2 belts.

The fact that 'Ultymate' has 2 belts on his 1998 C230K should not lead to the conclusion that all C230Ks have 2 belts. Some may have just one, it all depends upon the 'number of pullies' and hence the engine and subsystem configuration. I must look under the bonnet to determine mine.

My indie added that modern belts don't break but once they develop cracks and begin to shed bits of rubber from their grooved faces, they must be monitored for further signs of deterioration. When they become a bit tatty looking, that is the time they should be replaced. He commented that my belt(s) could last many more seasons and continue to give trouble-free service. He will take a look every time I bring my car in for any maintenance work. An MB dealership would replace the belt(s) far sooner, even though it was not strictly necessary.

REGARDS

Phil

Last edited:

vijilants

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C320 CDI Sport
My car is a 1999 c230k and has two belts.

You can check the number of belts you have using EPC with your chassis no or simply ask the dealer.

The job is dead easy ....easiest belts ive ever changed. You simply pull the tensioner back which is spring loaded with a long spanner and slip the belt off.

OP
philharve

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Do nylon belts stretch?

My car is a 1999 c230k and has two belts.

You can check the number of belts you have using EPC with your chassis no or simply ask the dealer.

The job is dead easy ....easiest belts ive ever changed. You simply pull the tensioner back which is spring loaded with a long spanner and slip the belt off.

Hi selsdon500

I think I'll take a look in the engine compartment instead, it's quicker.

I believe I have two belts and their replacement is as easy as you've outlined. What I'm not sure about is whether a nylon-cored belt actually stretches with use necessitating a readjustment of the belt tensioner. It may, as you've indicated, require no adjustment at all.

I remember the V belts in my previous cars used to stretch and the tensioner had to be adjusted accordingly to give a specific amount of deflection in the longest section of run in the belt. Maybe these days are long passed?

As you can probably tell, I do the bare minimum of work on my car these days. I seldom raise the bonnet and that's only so that I can refill the windscreen washer, top up the coolant, etc.

REGARDS

Phil

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You cannot stretch these belts with nylon cords

vijilants

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C320 CDI Sport
Hi selsdon500

I think I'll take a look in the engine compartment instead, it's quicker.

I believe I have two belts and their replacement is as easy as you've outlined. What I'm not sure about is whether a nylon-cored belt actually stretches with use necessitating a readjustment of the belt tensioner. It may, as you've indicated, require no adjustment at all.

I remember the V belts in my previous cars used to stretch and the tensioner had to be adjusted accordingly to give a specific amount of deflection in the longest section of run in the belt. Maybe these days are long passed?

As you can probably tell, I do the bare minimum of work on my car these days. I seldom raise the bonnet and that's only so that I can refill the windscreen washer, top up the coolant, etc.

REGARDS

Phil

When you fit the new belt you simply pull the tensioner back again, feed it around the tensioner pully and there is nothing else to do. The tensioner is heavily spring loaded against the belt to keep it tight and never needs any adjustment.

Top Bottom