Reserve fuel and warning light

bunnyrabbit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
merc 124 250d
I have a 124 J reg and I have twice ran out of fuel just as the low fuel warning light has come on. There is supposed to be 9 litres of reserve in the tank at this point and when I fill it up the quantity tally's with the size of the tank less the 9 litres. So the fuel is in there.
The books all tell me about the 9 litre reserve but not how to get at it.
Has anybody got any ideas?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Has the fuel filter ever been changed

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I have a 124 J reg and I have twice ran out of fuel just as the low fuel warning light has come on. There is supposed to be 9 litres of reserve in the tank at this point and when I fill it up the quantity tally's with the size of the tank less the 9 litres. So the fuel is in there.
The books all tell me about the 9 litre reserve but not how to get at it.
Has anybody got any ideas?

The reserve is notification that you are down to the last few litres of fuel (9 Litres in your case). There is no other action for you to take, except fill up. It is not like cars of yesteryear where you had to move a switch or do something else to access the fuel. I have always found my gauges to be pretty accurate and like you, I find what the tank will accommodate plus the "reserve" = the tank capacity.

That would give you 2 gallons and probably enough fuel for about 60 miles (100 Kms) cruising gently in motorway conditions?

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
I wonder whether your tank is starting to collapse because of vacuum ?

If saloon see behind boot liner cover and see shape of tank which is upright.

On estate it is easier because you can see it underneath car.

Do you have the fuel evaporation emissions system on you car with renewable charcoal filter in wing?

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom