Right to Repair Campaign (R2RC)

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Hi All

It has been mentioned elsewhere in this forum that there is a move afoot that could see the end of the independent network upon which many Mercedes owners have come to rely. I would view any such move as anti-competitive and not in the consumer's interest.

It has very recently come to my attention that there is a campaign being run against any such legislation being put in place. The following link provides access to the R2RC website which explains in greater detail the effect that such legislation would have if passed.

http://www.r2rc.co.uk/home/index.php

This website also provides access to an online petition to enable car owners to register their objections concerning such legislation. I spent over an hour yesterday listing all my concerns. There were a great many. I don't want to be compelled in law to have to use the dealer network for servicing & repair. I feel I get a much better deal from the independents.

If you feel as I do, here is your chance to have an input.

REGARDS

Phil

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
Right to repair campaign........forward to your MP .

Website letter MPs

[Your name]
[Your address line 1]
[Your address line 2]
[Your address line 3]
[Your postcode]
[Insert Date]

[Name of MP}
[Address line 1]
[Address line 2]
[Address line 3]
[Post Code]

Dear [Name of MP]

Motor Vehicle Block Exemption Regulation (MV-BER 1400/2002/EC)

In Europe’s independent multi-brand automotive aftermarket, 665,000 companies (predominantly small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs)), employing 3.5 million people, provide competitively priced components and services to the motorist. They are able to do this because the automotive sector has been subject to specific rules for several decades, for reasons which continue to hold true.

An EU evaluation report published earlier this year suggests that in 2010 the MV-BER should disappear, to be replaced by a patchwork of other ‘general’ legislation, some existing, some new and some yet to be written.

I believe that the proposals do not offer adequate protection and without MV-BER SMEs in this market will be unable to compete effectively, leading to business closures and job losses. This reduction in competition will inevitably lead to a reduction of choice and increased costs of service and repair for the motorist.

The Department for Business has responded to the evaluation report on behalf of UK Government in a way which, whilst echoing some of our concerns, failed to mention many others.

I support the aims of the Right to Repair Campaign (www.r2rc.co.uk) and trust that your support for a ‘level playing field’ for SMEs can be relied upon with the end result being that the repair and maintenance arena remains competitive and that motorists’ freedom to chose where their vehicle is repaired is not lost.

Thank you in anticipation of your consideration and active support.

Yours sincerely,

Lets make the buggers work for their money .

They've screwed up the buses , screwed up the schools ,screwed up the railways, screwed up immigration , don't let them get away with this as it will cost you dear and probably screw up your car as well . We dont need no more meddling .

Last edited:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Lets make the buggers work for their money .

They've screwed up the buses , screwed up the schools ,screwed up the railways, screwed up immigration , don't let them get away with this as it will cost you dear and probably screw up your car as well . We dont need no more meddling .

Excellent point QS. Mindless pandering to the EU machinery has blunted our natural tendency (and duty) to evaluate carefully what we are doing before we do it. So we end up tripping over the Law of Unintended Consequences every time (ask the PM and the Chancellor).

In my own field of Health & Safety, the fact that our own law makers have failed to challenge bad "research" leading up to EU Guidelines (and sometimes no research at all) has led to restrictive and expensive legislation when this has to be ratified by the UK in UK Law.

It is not only bad at the time, it creates a whole second bureaucracy to get us out of the hole we have dug.

Welll worth stopping MV BER before the damage is done.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom