Rust! A bad attitude from Mercedes-Benz.

robertjrt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500L 2001, gone but, never forgotten
We are much less tolerant than we were 45 years ago when my father owned his Mercedes, the internet allows us to communicate with fellow owners all over the world who have similar problems and can share experiences. Maybe it is time we all got together and tackled Mercedes-Benz as a 'one' and not as an individual, that might make them wake up and smell the coffee

Now that's a good idea, but, how? An internet web site, say; Bitter Experience Mercedes-Benz, for all those stories?

I own the domain name, Bitter Experience, and the limited company name, so, put pen to paper and wait for the site to become live, any day now:)

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
There are plenty of websites giving details of car dealers that don't deliver the goods.

Arnold Clark comes in for a lot of criticism up here for good reason, I heard about this site a couple of days ago

Arnold Clark Sucks :shock::shock:

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
View attachment 17780 View attachment 17780

Its got to be the quality of MB paintwork ? I have 2 638 Vitos both old 1999 and 2002 repectively, they are both Taxis with a wheelchair conversion they have had many minor accidents and just about every panel has been repaired or replaced in their lifetime at least once, they have shedloads of miles on the clock.

2 Years ago I had both fully resprayed as they where beginning to look many shades, they are well serviced, always kept clean and POLISHED which does help, there is no underbody corrosion at all. The local backstreet bodyshop do a good job in both prep and paint and are a fraction of the cost of the dealer or mainstream body shop and I reckon their paint quality is far better than MB original.

They have both gone through 2 really severe winters and looking like a third, they are never garaged so always in the open and I live in a marine environment to boot, non of the scabs have reappeared and still look pristine 2 years down the line.

I have owned both these from new and the 638 are notorious for rust as all MB commercials seem to be.

My SL is 22 years old and all original paintwork with no corrosion to speak of so some proof about 1990's MB build quality.

Attachments

• NEW FUJI HS20 RSX CAMERA._224.jpg
    NEW FUJI HS20 RSX CAMERA._224.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 10
  • NEW FUJI HS20 RSX CAMERA._273.jpg
    NEW FUJI HS20 RSX CAMERA._273.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
It would not cost a great deal at the manufacturing stage for Mercedes to ensure these cars were protected, but greed and the need to keep investors happy by giving them a large lump sum of money every year means that the bean counters will and do cut every corner they can at the expense of the buyer.

I don't get the money saving argument as some of the lowest priced car manufacturers in the world have better bodywork;
Relatives Hyundai 8 years old no rust.
" " Alfa Romeo 14 years old no rust.
Neighbours staffs car Fiat about 12 years old no rust.
Suzuki 9 years old no rust.
All cheap cars but no rust with presumably a fraction of Mercedes build costs.

SAABfan

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 CLK320 Elegance
My 1999 CLK is starting to look a bit crusty around the wheelarches, door bottoms boot lid and front edge of the bonnet. Not too bad yet though compaired to a 208 CLK I saw in Morrisons car park a few weeks ago. It was an X reg and every panel was rusted to a shocking level.

There were holes through the front wings and through the bottoms of the doors. Bonnet was holed at the bottom, boot lid was holed along the bottom edge etc, etc. It looked an utter disgrace and is a shocking advert for Mercedes Benz as long as it's still on the road.

The mechanicals are probably fine, but this car looked shocking to be honest. The worst I have ever seen. :shock:

olymsskt

Reaction score
Website
www.teamfrontier.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLK Avantgarde 2000 3.2
get it right!

i know its not the same league. but even the japs are doing this.
Kia are known for rusting (sedona's caused by trims rubbing and rusting) and they flatly refused to cover any rust under their perforation as it has to rust right through the panels.
Had the same issues with Hyundai too with the same response.
Cost cutting, no profits and a recession probably isn't going to help, but agree that when you buy a Mercedes, the last thing you expect is rust!!!! It's not like your buying a cheap car is it!

Come on, discredit where discredit's due - Kia and Hyundai are Korean, not Japanese!

wi-fi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c
There are plenty of websites giving details of car dealers that don't deliver the goods.

Arnold Clark comes in for a lot of criticism up here for good reason, I heard about this site a couple of days ago

Arnold Clark Sucks :shock::shock:

Some of the dealing i had with MB dealers make Arnold Clark a very honest man!!:shock:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom