s210 Rear Wings

Toby Banks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e320 cdi estate avantgarde
Good evening.
Earlier this year I bought a S210 E320 CDI Estate. Sorted a few issues ( Gearbox plate , Thermostat etc etc ) and tried to deal with some of the rust issues , with some degree of success. However , there is severe corrosion in the inner rear wings ( where the spare wheel sits and pretty much the same on the opposite side. ) . Clearly it will need the rusty stuff cutting out and replacing with fresh steel. Are there panels available at reasonable cost ( either genuine or aftermarket ) or do I resort to cutting out a good one from a breaker ( they seem to be rarer than rocking horse poo !! ) or do I fabricate one from sheet.

Thanks in anticipation

Toby

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Good evening.
Earlier this year I bought a S210 E320 CDI Estate. Sorted a few issues ( Gearbox plate , Thermostat etc etc ) and tried to deal with some of the rust issues , with some degree of success. However , there is severe corrosion in the inner rear wings ( where the spare wheel sits and pretty much the same on the opposite side. ) . Clearly it will need the rusty stuff cutting out and replacing with fresh steel. Are there panels available at reasonable cost ( either genuine or aftermarket ) or do I resort to cutting out a good one from a breaker ( they seem to be rarer than rocking horse poo !! ) or do I fabricate one from sheet.

Thanks in anticipation

Toby

I have one of these still.

It has had all the parts you mention replaced (By MB but that's another long story)

I would start by pricing up the new parts from MB after a really good inspection.

They, unfortunately, are prone to rot badly in these areas and just about everywhere else, and finding good second-hand ones will be a problem but you never know.

If you strike lucky and find a good one take a cordless angle grinder with a thin cutting disc and overcut it.
Use a flanging tool where you can but it's a tricky shape, good luck.

I have not heard of aftermarket repair panels but who knows there may well be.

Fabricating your own will test your skills :):)

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom