Satnav updates...again

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
they are very similar…. if have a wifi tomtom its a joke….
FYI if you forget to update your tomtom for life mapping within a year, they cut you off -
I've had it 18 months they appear to do one big update a year, I expected quarterly but its a myth, it updated when I first got it (to the previous release) and it did another update in july 2018 (to that years release) then nothing till a year later. On my iPhone it seemed to do two a year but that now seems to have dropped back to 9 month intervals.

Not my experience, far from it.
I've got a 5200, WiFi, got it when it was the latest model and have had 4 map updates every year since, like clockwork. All updates have been around 7GB files, taking up to 45 minutes to download and like I said before, newly completed roads have been on the latest maps after only 3 to 6 months.
I cannot explain why yours does not do the same?

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
I have a Go6000 I bought 5 years ago for our trip to northern Spain and France, every time I plug it into my computer and fire up Mydrive it has small updates from users and about twice a year a full update of Europe. It's slower than the proverbial, downloading to my PC fairly quickly as I'm on fast fibre, but then taking a good few hours to update the satnav itself - and the first thing the update does is wipe your existing maps, so if there's a hiccup you have a bricked satnav until it sorts itself out!

However, compared to my Comand NTG4 early version, that I can (and have) update to 2014-15 without spending hundreds of pounds to upgrade the HDD, it's a load better, plus it shows me speed limit, my actual speed and (out of date as I've not renewed the subscription) speed camers in force until 12 months after I bought it. MB Comand satnav is a rip-off - but that can also be said of Porsche, probably Audi and BMW too!

Nigel Hewitt

Reaction score
Website
www.nigelhewitt.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300/W212/2014/2L Diesel Hybrid (Also a Honda CBR1000RA Fireblade)
When I got the E300 I asked about updating the maps and was offered a silly price so I moved the TomTom I used previously in. Updates 'for life', live traffic replanning and speed limits. When I get home and park up it senses my house Wifi and if it starts bleating that it wants an update I just take it into the house rather than leave it powered up in the car. I have a Garmin on the motorbike which is pretty similar and talks to my helmet again with Wifi updates 'for life'. Frankly the my MB Command version is pretty primitive these days so I trust they have updated it a bit.

OP
D

DrJon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 AMG Cab 2017
Just to record the end of the story, the dealership has now carried out the update. To those that wait shall be given...I suppose. I just would rather not have waited quite so long..

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Just to record the end of the story, the dealership has now carried out the update. To those that wait shall be given...I suppose. I just would rather not have waited quite so long..
Great to follow this story as I fear that I may have to go through a similar process when my first service is due in October.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Just to give you all an update on my experience. I took my car into Mercedes Southampton this morning for a quick, while-u-wait A Service. I hadn’t bothered to ask about the free map update because I only wanted a quick in/out and I thought the update could wait until next year when they will have the car longer anyway for the B Service.

It actually took them just over an hour and a half rather than the hour promised and when the service guy brought the paperwork over he apologised for the delay and said they had updated the maps, as well. Oh yeah, I thought, having heard all the stories about the dealers reluctance to do this. Anyway, I checked when back at the car and, yes, it now has the latest version. There was also a print out in the car with the PIN activation code for the map.

Having heard all the horror stories before about dealers refusing or saying they had updated map when the hadn’t, I am quite amazed!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
and said they had updated the maps, as well.

Having heard all the horror stories before about dealers refusing or saying they had updated map when the hadn’t, I am quite amazed!

you should name an praise this dealership

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
you should name an praise this dealership
I took my car into Mercedes Southampton this morning....
....but they have been pretty useless in the past and made a right mess of my new car order so this may have just been a flash in the pan but happy to give credit where credit's due for today anyway.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom