Search may be over

OP
B

bc100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S205 C250 BluTec Estate 2014
Looks lovely and right on your doorstep, must be fate

Yes, that was the icing on the cake. The purchase was approved by Head of Car Purchasing at home and I'm picking up the car on Monday as they doing a service, putting a new tyre on etc.

Thanks for all the comments about command. I will subscribe to the traffic update for a year and see how it goes. The TomTom solution comes up repeatedly over the years so I have a fallback situation, however I don't really want two screens in the car.

It seems to have RunFlats on it, Bridgestone Potenza, I think. Has anyone had experience of these? I'm completely new to this kind of tyre.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Yes, that was the icing on the cake. The purchase was approved by Head of Car Purchasing at home and I'm picking up the car on Monday as they doing a service, putting a new tyre on etc.

Thanks for all the comments about command. I will subscribe to the traffic update for a year and see how it goes. The TomTom solution comes up repeatedly over the years so I have a fallback situation, however I don't really want two screens in the car.

It seems to have RunFlats on it, Bridgestone Potenza, I think. Has anyone had experience of these? I'm completely new to this kind of tyre.

Nice one with a great colour combination, well worth the wait. I am a little biased however :)

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I’ve never driven a car with run-flats that wouldnt have been better without them, but I’m sure others have different views on the subject.
Give them a go as they’re already on the car. It may be no problem to you :D

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
These people are part of MB South West Group and only deal with the Group's trade-ins that they won't retail for whatever reason.
Although part of a main dealer franchise any car purchased from them will not be Approved Used, although their prices are said to reflect that - and maybe it doesn't matter anyway!
I have noticed that a number of the bigger franchised groups seem to have this sort of 'Clearance Corner' available to off-load cars that they can't or don't want to retail but aren't as bad as they would punt them to the market.
I only say that because if potentially buying from them, I would want to know why the car wasn't retailable at the franchise.

Ernie

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
A 2014 C will have a version of Comand that needs the DVD's and a PIN from the MB mainframe specific to the VIN of the car in order to update the maps. Some indies have the ability to obtain the PIN, others do not, main dealers do, but you're looking at normally £50 for the PIN and another £100 for the update, so keep an eye on your nearset main dealer's offers as occasionally they will do an update for £99. Crafty move by MB, came in with the 2011 facelift of the 204 C class and NTG4.5, stops people doing what I do (with NTG4) and using "second user" DVD's bought through Ebay or off a forum (genuine DVD's only, I hasten to add!!) for rather less than £100 - and normally sold on again after use!

OP
B

bc100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A 2014 C will have a version of Comand that needs the DVD's and a PIN from the MB mainframe specific to the VIN of the car in order to update the maps. Some indies have the ability to obtain the PIN, others do not, main dealers do, but you're looking at normally £50 for the PIN and another £100 for the update, so keep an eye on your nearset main dealer's offers as occasionally they will do an update for £99. Crafty move by MB, came in with the 2011 facelift of the 204 C class and NTG4.5, stops people doing what I do (with NTG4) and using "second user" DVD's bought through Ebay or off a forum (genuine DVD's only, I hasten to add!!) for rather less than £100 - and normally sold on again after use!

It seems I have to go in to get the car added to MercedesMe so I'll see what they can do. Command Online quoted me £249 so I may just use my old TomTom until it dies, or put up with old maps.

Last edited:
OP
B

bc100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
These people are part of MB South West Group and only deal with the Group's trade-ins that they won't retail for whatever reason.
Although part of a main dealer franchise any car purchased from them will not be Approved Used, although their prices are said to reflect that - and maybe it doesn't matter anyway!
I have noticed that a number of the bigger franchised groups seem to have this sort of 'Clearance Corner' available to off-load cars that they can't or don't want to retail but aren't as bad as they would punt them to the market.
I only say that because if potentially buying from them, I would want to know why the car wasn't retailable at the franchise.

Ernie

I wondered about this too. They told me that Mercedes would have to spend too much on a car of this age to provide their usual Approved Used moniker and then possibly move it round the franchise etc. I haven't seen many cars of this age on their forecourts.
I felt that with a FMBSH and the eligibility for an extended Mercedes warranty plus a good MOT history, I would give it a go. All car buying is a bit of a lottery especially a used car.

Talking of warranties, is the RAC one worth the money?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Many premium new car dealers won't retail a car just purely because of it's age. There often won't be anything wrong with the car, it just doesn't fit their vehicle age policy. Nothing more, nothing less. :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I've never had run flats glad to say, the word is they are stiffer and less compliant than standard tyres.
Which would lead me to a sight concern just on tyres. I do run Bridgestone Potenzas on my i8 (no choice), and did on a previous Audi A6 Avant, and they are very hard tyres.
You may want (wear and budget allowing) to change them over to a rubber which will suit the car style better (Uniroyal Rainsport, Goodyear etc).
On warranties, been loads of threads over the years on this!
Loads of differing opinions..
Summarised
Exotic metal- almost definitely have one, reliable stuff- best stick some money in the bank each month for a potentially rainy day/after 2 years have a nice break or treat yourself if you haven't had to use it...
RAC warranties I haven't any experience of (not sure who underwrites), warranty wise and Motor Easy seem to be decent performers

OP
B

bc100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Likewise! There are times when I prefer the Comand's use of main roads to the Garmin sending us down alleyways to cut off a corner.

I often get "Sat Nav'd" into obscure narrow roads but that can be fun and is unavoidable in this part of Devon anyway.

OP
B

bc100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've never had run flats glad to say, the word is they are stiffer and less compliant than standard tyres.
Which would lead me to a sight concern just on tyres. I do run Bridgestone Potenzas on my i8 (no choice), and did on a previous Audi A6 Avant, and they are very hard tyres.
You may want (wear and budget allowing) to change them over to a rubber which will suit the car style better (Uniroyal Rainsport, Goodyear etc).
On warranties, been loads of threads over the years on this!
Loads of differing opinions..
Summarised
Exotic metal- almost definitely have one, reliable stuff- best stick some money in the bank each month for a potentially rainy day/after 2 years have a nice break or treat yourself if you haven't had to use it...
RAC warranties I haven't any experience of (not sure who underwrites), warranty wise and Motor Easy seem to be decent performers

I like the sound of the Rainsports after talking to JBell about tyres. The dealer has just put a new tyre on so I'll stay with the Potenzas for now. If I go to regular tyres, I will need a spare presumably or an inflation kit?

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
I often get "Sat Nav'd" into obscure narrow roads but that can be fun and is unavoidable in this part of Devon anyway.
Not much fun when you've got a caravan on the back...

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom