Seatbelt Issue for 4 seater C180.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
just seen in another thread your car is a coupe so its definately a 203, not a 202. middle seatbelt may not be available for a coupe, i dont know. your best bet may be to trade up to a 203 saloon, that way your sure your kids are as safe as they can be.

OP
J

jennifer1424

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport 1.8 Petrol
I really dont want to get rid of my car ha its my pride and joy :) I never thought of this when I got it 3 years ago, I dont know much about cars but suppose I should have checked this out really!! :(

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
There are companies who can fit aftermarket seatbelts. It might be worth speaking with them to see if your car could have an extra belt fitted

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
but i suppose when you bought it, you probably werent expecting another addition to the family either, so dont take it too hard! the saloon version is a nice car. if thats the route you decide to go down you will love it just as much as your coupe!

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
There are companies who can fit aftermarket seatbelts. It might be worth speaking with them to see if your car could have an extra belt fitted

Quite agree. I can't understand the problem here. If there are not holes already tapped into the floor pan to accept 17 BS Bolts, then surely a competent engineer could tap a couple of threads in to do the job?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
im not sure if they are on a coupe, Alex and to drill them, the car should then be sent for a seatbelt installation check probably

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I'm not sure if they are on a coupe, Alex and to drill them, the car should then be sent for a seatbelt installation check probably

Still sounds easier than changing cars TP - and it took us 46 posts to get here.

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jen, I can give you a name of a garage in Johnston who I have been dealing with for 25 years, I'm sure he will be able to advise you

busby20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK's 2, CLK320 Cabriolet.
Quite agree. I can't understand the problem here. If there are not holes already tapped into the floor pan to accept 17 BS Bolts, then surely a competent engineer could tap a couple of threads in to do the job?
Insurance company may not be to happy with major modifications to vehicle - especially if it wasn't part of the original type approval. :(:(

OP
J

jennifer1424

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport 1.8 Petrol
Hi thanks for all the advice, can you give me the name of the garage in Johnston please I will try them thank you.

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've sent you a pm Jen

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
im not sure if they are on a coupe, Alex and to drill them, the car should then be sent for a seatbelt installation check probably
I've just read the original post and my opinion as an ex bodyshop engineer at Nissan would be, if you attempt to change the vehicle class from from 4 seats to 5 seats, this will involve an inspection by the DVLA.

The seatbelt anchor points need to be capable of restraining passengers up to a weight of 120Kg and cope with the kinetic energy generated in a frontal impact at 35mph, this usually means extra monocoque floor members being installed and is certainly far more work than just "tapping" a hole in the floorpan and rear bulkheads.

My view on this one would be to change the car, as this will be less trouble and probably more cost effective.

Top Bottom