Should I buy a C320 Avantgarde with 112k?

MrMercB

Reaction score
Hi all.

I was looking into buying a 2000 reg C320 Avantgarde 4dr Auto. The car has 112k on the clock and I was concerned about the things that might go wrong at this mileage? I also was wondering about the cost of ownership.

Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

Peter De La Mare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
15 reg E63, 14 reg Smart Passion and 64reg Caterham Levante.
I bought mine with 140K+ on it.

Had to replace 1 cat and the alternator.

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score
Hi all.

I was looking into buying a 2000 reg C320 Avantgarde 4dr Auto. The car has 112k on the clock and I was concerned about the things that might go wrong at this mileage? I also was wondering about the cost of ownership.

Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

OH GOD ..............YES most definatly!!!! depending on the price of course!!!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
As long as the bodywork is good (no rust) and it has been serviced it should be a great car

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As above,, good body is worth more than a rusty example, what is the asking price

OP
M

MrMercB

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!

I bought mine with 140K+ on it.

Had to replace 1 cat and the alternator.

Was this work expensive? How thirsty is it on fuel?

The dealer is advertising it at 5500 pounds. Will pop down and see it on Saturday. Never had a merc before.

Peter De La Mare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
15 reg E63, 14 reg Smart Passion and 64reg Caterham Levante.
BTW, mine is the E-Class, I misread your post, sorry.

Alternator was £390 using MB part and MB indie (inc ride in recovery truck)

Cat was expensive, part alone was £800, did a deal on fitting etc for cash.

Mine appears to be ultra economical on runs. Best ever was 37mpg (yes, petrol engine) and the brim to brim results got just over 500 miles and 35.5mpg.

Around town is as poor as you'd expect though late teens and early 20s.

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!

Was this work expensive? How thirsty is it on fuel?

The dealer is advertising it at 5500 pounds. Will pop down and see it on Saturday. Never had a merc before.

Sorry but yer joking right!!!!! £5500 for a 2000 E Class!!!!!!

Heres mine 2000 on a V plate with 50 K on it more than the one you looking at & the price I paid (with full MB history & 12 months MOT)

.....................£1150.....................

E-Class8.JPG

Whoever this "Dealer" is he's havin you over BIG STYLE either that or yer bodywork is 22 carrat Gold plated!!!!!

HALF of that money & he's in the ballpark ( Mine was & is a BARGAIN!!)

Sorry to "rain on yer parade" but I hate seeing decent hard working people gettin RIPPED OFF by "Dealers" who are (usually) just out to line their pockets

SORRY (as Peter said above) I too mis read your first post & thought it was an E Class but the point remains £5500!!!!!!!! NO WAY!!!!!!

Last edited:

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Sorry but yer joking right!!!!! £5500 for a 2000 E Class!!!!!!

Heres mine 2000 on a V plate with 50 K on it more than the one you looking at & the price I paid (with full MB history & 12 months MOT)

.....................£1150.....................

E-Class8.JPG

Whoever this "Dealer" is he's havin you over BIG STYLE either that or yer bodywork is 22 carrat Gold plated!!!!!

HALF of that money & he's in the ballpark ( Mine was & is a BARGAIN!!)

Sorry to "rain on yer parade" but I hate seeing decent hard working people gettin RIPPED OFF by "Dealers" who are (usually) just out to line their pockets

SORRY (as Peter said above) I too mis read your first post & thought it was an E Class but the point remains £5500!!!!!!!! NO WAY!!!!!!

I think the car in question is a C class hence C320. lol...

your example is excellent though, where did you find one with so little mileage for that price

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I think the car in question is a C class hence C320. lol...

your example is excellent though, where did you find one with so little mileage for that price

i think HC's car has 50k miles MORE than the car the op is looking at.

HC, is yours petrol or diesel?

and to answer the question asked by the thread, Yes you should buy it, but NOT at that price! 02plate diesel versions were selling here for £6k, last year before the prices fell through the floor! and with well under 100k miles! personally, id be looking to pay about £3-3500 for that car, maximum

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
i think HC's car has 50k miles MORE than the car the op is looking at.

and to answer the question asked by the thread, Yes you should buy it, but NOT at that price! 02plate diesel versions were selling here for £6k, last year before the prices fell through the floor! and with well under 100k miles! personally, id be looking to pay about £3-3500 for that car, maximum

WE both misread the post then:roll::roll::roll:

OP
M

MrMercB

Reaction score
Ahhhh ok a bit pricey then. What about a C230K Evo Panorama with 50k miles that is advertised for 6k on a 51 plate? would that be a good buy. There doesn't seem to be a lot around at the moment. How can you tell from a picture if it is an auto or an auto tiptronic?

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
This ones seems to be a better option, But do check that it has no rust etc.

Auto tiptronic will have +/- signs on left hand side of park position, thats to change gears manually

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score

its petrol E240 Pete, V6, (Just like yours If I remember correctly)

Stratch that .................just checked your is an OIL burner aint it!!!!

Hows Hammonds Pond ...........Bet it'll be bust this weekend!!!:evil::evil::evil::evil:

OP
M

MrMercB

Reaction score
Hey all,
Was too late with the C230K Evo Panorama. I test drove an automatic C180 Avantgarde Saloon today, it drove nice but it was the first time I ever driven an automatic so wasn't sure what to look for. It felt a bit slow during the initial acceleration, is that normal? Also should you gently accelerate with an auto i floored the accelerator from standing it obviously felt different from a manual and had a slight delay.

Also the garage advert said it was a C180K but it didn't say KOMPRESSOR on the back so i guess its not?

The car has 49k on the clock and they want 6,200.

Last edited:

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
the garage advert said it was a C180K but it didn't say KOMPRESSOR on the back so i guess its not?

The car has 49k on the clock and they want 6,200.

The K is for kompressor so yes it will be supercharged.
The evo panorama afaik is the 2 door coupe so really a different car.
You don't say the age of the car so its difficult to tell. At the moment, prices on such cars do seem to be a bit steep, due to lack of supply. Those of us who have 3-6 year old mercs aren't trading them in, but keeping them instead.

OP
M

MrMercB

Reaction score
its on a 52 plate. Yeah all used prices seem quite steep at the moment. Even saw a robin reliant for 4.5k.

When i went to see the c180 it did not say Kompressor on the back of the car so i assumed it wasn't.

J400uk

Reaction score
Market is a bit crazy at the moment a lot of cars are selling for more than they should be. I'm hoping they start to go back down in price again soon, I prefered it when used cars in UK were cheap!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom