Shouldn't a pulse repair battery charger improve CCA?

Me22

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210
I have 2 old batteries 60Ah and 100Ah. The battery analyser shows they are 70% and 50% efficient respectively. I charged them then used a pulse repair battery charger on each battery.
8 hours on first day, then 12 hours on each of the following 2 days.
The CCA of either battery did not improve and the analyser still shows 70% and 50% respectively.
No improvement at all!!
Any idea why?

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
The longer a battery has spent in a discharged state the worse the condition the plates will be with sulphation forming on the plates directly and the stratification of the electrolyte leaving layers of concentrated acid burning and permanently damaging the lead plates, flooded batteries are most responsive to the repair/renovate programmes, VRLA next with Gel the least which shouldn't really be fitted to a car anyway!
If it's a flooded battery, remove it from the car and give it some short 3 sec blasts separated by 10 secs of up to 24v until it starts gassing, make sure there's good ventilation from the cells and stand well back when you push the buttons!
If it's VRLA, remove the top label to access the friction sealed cell caps, using brute force and a portion of ignorance, unscrew the caps and top up the cells with de-ionised water to just above the plates, do not Repair/Renovate with any voltages greater than 14.8v to a VRLA (AGM) battery, put it through a couple of charge cycles and see if there's any improvement.
If it's Gel, it's already lost!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I presume they are AGM ? - if so top them up and watch the magic

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
If a wet battery - fill the cells with water to the max mark -
need to remove stickers and find themax mark. they dont make it easy.

A few hours here and there will get you nowhere. They will need a day atleast esp if they were low on water - to remove whats on the plates and get the ions moving.

If the cells became dry, the plates will have warped and its for the bin.

I have a wet battery on my mower - a classic old skool battery. I do the above each season. Its the same battery from 15 years!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
they are all wet to some degree...

Gell batteries (mostly on bikes) dry out with hard chunks of "electrolyte" leaving exposed plates = bin material

AGM become too dry and lose efficiency - the tissue paper (AKA absorbed glass matting) is supposed to be damp - but leave the building these days half dry and 3 years and a few days have boiled it all off. Save the planet and top them up

OP
M

Me22

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210
After charging and pulse repair the battery, the voltage on the battery after 2 days of not using it, is 12.67 V which is good, but that does not give the full picture, because the analyser shows that the CCA is 400 and the battery is rated for 640.
Will I be right to assume this means not good cold start?

Last edited:

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom