1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silly oil check question...

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by ShivaYash, Dec 4, 2012.

1. ShivaYash

ShivaYash Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W124 1994 E200 estate (M111 engine)
    I checked the oil of my W124 the other week, it looked low. I have been driving and let the engine cool for five minutes before checking. The dipstick level indicated the engine oil was LOW, to the red minimum indicator.

This was strange, as an oil and filter was only completed about 1800 miles previously. I noted an original oil filter wasn't used.

I was worried, so didn't use the car further. I purchased the correct oil - Valvoline DuraBlend SAE 10W-40 1 litre, after checking with MB which oil I should go for, they recommended a semi synthetic.

I checked the oil just before topping up this morning - it was exactly in between the minimum and maximum red markers, and oil was honey coloured. The car hasn't been used for about a week, and accordingly the engine was stone cold.

Am I missing something here?

Many thanks,
    ShivaYash

2. huey

huey Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W203 cdi 2004 Estate
    Personally I don't think 5 minutes is long enough after a run to be checking your oil, it is always best to check it first thing in the morning when it has been stood overnight and the oil has settled.

3. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    The car must be on level ground, and 10 mins wait would be far better as Huey said. It is not that critical as long as its around the mid point and not under by too much.