Silver or black?

nialler

Reaction score
I had a red pontiac (never got dirty)

I've had 2 black cars (washed them every week).

I've had a gunmetal grey car (didn't have to wash it that often)

I now have amberline black (posh word for metallic burgundy) lovely, doesn't how up the dirt that much but it's the alloys that get me every time, so I wash it once a week (there's a 15 minute brush and spray jobbie in my local shell, you need 15 minutes on the monster).

Slaphead

Reaction score
nialler said:
I wash it once a week (there's a 15 minute brush and spray jobbie in my local shell, you need 15 minutes on the monster).
G'way outta that! 8 minutes at my local Texaco does it! :)

Scissorwoman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK200
jon_harley said:
Today I saw a fiesta painted metallic bubblegum pink! And it had fluffy pink seats too.

There's a pink Ford Ka(k) near me, pink seat covers, pink steering wheel, pink bobble on the end of the ariel, complete with pink furry dice.....hideous!!!!

My Merc is a lovely red colour with just a hit of raspberry(!!).....very nice....doesn't tend to show the dirt up either :smile:.

Used to have a white Lancia....OMG...everytime it rained I had to get the autoglym out cos the doors used to get black streaks running down off the rubber seals around the door handles!!

NEVER have a silver car.......they are so common....choose something out of the ordinary but if you do have to follow the herd.....take the black option!!!!

Scissorwoman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK200
nialler said:
I wash it once a week (there's a 15 minute brush and spray jobbie in my local shell, you need 15 minutes on the monster).

Mine gets a hand job every week thanks to the Shiny car wash at Sutton...£5.00...and for that you get a very fit young bloke or two pre-treating your car, hand washing it, putting shiny stuff around your tyre walls, chammied (dunno how you spell that), door and boot openings and sills cleaned and alloys cleaned.

Not a word of English between them except "five pounds please" but what better way to spend 10 mins on a Sunday morning????? :cool:

angus falconer

Reaction score
Scissorwoman said:
but what better way to spend 10 mins on a Sunday morning????? :

Yep, I kill three birds with one stone - I get to buy the Sunday papers, I get take my 2 yr old son for a little trip to the hand car wash AND get to read the interesting bits in the News of the World before surrendering it to my wife.

There - I made it all the way through the post without referring to hand jobs *doh!*

gina2201

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'99 C230k AMG estate, VW Golf Tdi + BMW 318i Touring
I agree, there are loads of silver cars out there, I personally prefer metallic black, especially looks good on a merc, with nice wheels. I always get complements about mine! And it's an "older" C-Class, but the wheels and private plate really make it look much younger and give it more presence.

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
Black with 2 flags.

errr, Make that one flag now i come to remember it

In fact scrap the flags altogether.

Attachments

• SLK.jpg
    SLK.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 14
  • VMax12-48.jpg
    VMax12-48.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 4

benzo

Reaction score
jberks said:
Black looks great if it's clean and polished. But it shows every defect.Blue is less muck prone but every scratch and mark shows up.
Silver, whilst a bit boring is the most practical I've had. Never looks dirty, and doesn't show scratches.

Black does show every little scratch, Dark blue does too, but does anyone have the new "tealite blue"? It's a very light blue. Does it hide scratches as well as silver?

mlc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 S320, 2003 SLK230, 1972 350SL
MrsC tells me that the only colour for a car is silver, but 15 years ago she thought the only colour for a car was blue, and 25 years ago she had a lime green Chevette :(

At long last the Mondeo is going and is replaced by an MB :) MrsC's only real input was that it had to be silver, and it is, an S320 in smoked silver. Its hard to believe that a colour that is champange coloured at best and gold at worst could get past her eagle eyes.

The really good news is that she liked driving it so I may be on for a go in the SLK, however having seen the rain in Manchester today maybe I should stick with the S.

Mark.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
mlc said:
however having seen the rain in Manchester today maybe I should stick with the S.

Mark.

I always thought that on this type of car it would be the roof that would leak. On the early SL's 230, its the boot that leak, its worth looking on benz world as they have so many, just a thought.

Malcolm

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
Once you have black there's no going back!! he he

It's got to be black on cars for me!

Silver and Gold tend to follow fashion trends more. Silver has made a huge comeback since the turn of the millenium.

The mid silver cars just don't do it for me - I see gunmetal/steel grey cars and it just reminds me of that 'charcoal grey' phase of the 80's.

Must admit every car I've ever had has been black except for my first Fiesta!

I nearly broke the trend last year when I bought my C-class and considered a silver one, but I'm so glad I didn't - When a black car is clean and shiny it looks stunning. Unfortunately they show up the dirt and marks very quickly so you have got to love your cars and enjoy washing them!!!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom