SL R230 Sat Nav problem

Mike Mil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl 2003 350
Hi
Just bought a 2003 Mercedes SL 350 and have a problem with the SAT NAV, can't find my location it appears to think I am somewhere in the North sea!
Can anyone offer some advise please
Many thanks
Mike

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I dont think you should spend any time on this, the satnav in a 2003 car is very outdated, I should know as in my 2004 SL it is now worthless. I use Waze on my smartphone which is actually better than even the latest satnav versions.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
As above but if you do want it working, i suspect the antenna is faulty.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Welcome Mike. A Comand Unit from 2003 is a dinosoar. The R230 is a fantastic car but the Head Unit is just useless. Comand UK are sponsors on this forum & they are experts in this field. Get in touch with them for advice. I did & they've fitted this Alpine unit for me. Replacement Head Unit.jpeg

OP
M

Mike Mil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl 2003 350
Thanks for your helpful replies, that is s nice installation indeed, yes the original system looks hopeless but my idea is to try and keep original as its a second car. I have read about a reset that might help and antenna issue is a good idea. If anyone has anything else they can suggest I would be really grateful
Many thanks
Mike

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Find the setting that shows how many sats it found.

Last edited:

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I find the main problem with the older system is it doesn't do post codes, you have to have the street address, town, county which I found a bit time consuming and sometimes it wouldn't enter any further an address because it has a different format to an address, once you get around that (usually by entering another close by town it finds your address you want) :confused: By this time you have already arrived at your destination from instructions given to you by your wife reading from the AA road map book :rolleyes: Aprt from that the sat nav still gets you there.
The system in the 500 is a little improved that iit give you half the postcode option, but you still have to know the full address :(
Mercedes aren't the only out dated system, my Renault is 06 and that doesn't do post codes either.............Oh hang, Mercedes took their engines so assume they nicked the sat nav too :shock:

OP
M

Mike Mil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl 2003 350
Thanks, yes setting says no satellites, so not sure why
Thanks
Mike

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
As someone who has the same system as you I wouldn't bother trying to sort it out.
The screen quality is poor, the unit is very prone to causing battery drains, it's very clunky to use and there are no map updates after 2014 so some of the guidance is 'interesting'.

You can pick up direct fit Android units from eBay for less than it will likely cost to fix what you have. The only time it can be worth fixing is if you have Bose as the aftermarket ones need a lot more work to fit.

OP
M

Mike Mil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl 2003 350
Thanks for your helpful comments
Any info on where the antenna is and how to get at it?
Thanks
Mike

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom