SL350 2011 WIPER ISSUE

OP
MBGB

MBGB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 2011 & ML 350 2014 AMG SPORT
I'll let you know how I get on. Had one of the trainers at MK contact me who wants to run a XENTRY test on the car. Whats that when its at home, heard of the STAR kit!!

OP
MBGB

MBGB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thump the dash not thumb ha ha!!

OP
MBGB

MBGB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Uncle Benz,
Interesting. Its in on Tuesday at Mercedes head office for them to check it all over. Apparently they are ordering up the ignition switch which costs over £500 as a part, and if its not the fault, they can send it back.
Lets hope it resolves the issue!! Will let you know, and thanks for that.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Got an issue with the windscreen wiper not working and the orange warning roll bar symbol comes up when the stalk is pushed or turned.
Checked the voltage in the boot battery well over 12 volts, but strangely when I move the roll bar switch on the central console up or down the windscreen wipers work again.
Anybody had a similar issue like that?
Checking the battery in the boot which is a proper MB battery dated 2016, is there a chance they fitted the wrong variant causing this issue?

It might show 12v (no load) but it will probably drop a lot under any load.

OP
MBGB

MBGB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Roger that

OP
MBGB

MBGB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well..pr-empting the outcome.
Dropped the car off today, as the MB dealer decided to order up a new key barrel, with the code arriving tomorrow as they believe it to be the fault.
This on ironically the same day a friend who has the same fault on the same model year/SL as mine had his apparently cured by a MB dealer. His fault was the control unit in the roof between the mirrors. They had had a similar fault a few years ago, and luckily a mechanic remembered it and they called up the service record to check, and thats how they cured his issue.

That threw all commonsense to the four winds and totally contrary to what STAR was telling them all to do. His car had been with the dealer for 2 months..............think about that. Asked whether he wanted to come and collect it, he replied, you keep checking it and make sure its fixed before its returned!!!

MB Customer services have been all over me today trying to resolve the issue I raised with them at Head Office. There is NO fault shown at Maastricht as a fault on this car, and here we are two people with the same fault on the same model car. Appreciate it wouldn't be a recall, but surely someone MUST have it recorded it at Stutgart or any training courses at MK????

This is a safety issue, if your wipers don't work when you need them, isn't it?
Next installment of this debarcle tomorrow when I hear back from my dealership!

OP
MBGB

MBGB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I know you will all be waiting with baited breath as to the outcome..............well, once the new Ignition switch had been fitted and coded all the issues went, so my car is resolved at quite a high price, as the switch was £525 alone.

However, my mate who had the same issues, they found his problem in the control unit in the roof. Still scratching my head how thats possible, but heyho, his issues have gone to. Its a crazy world and car by all accounts lol

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Yes, I have heard tales of lots of other things being the cause, but haven't seen them myself. I've replaced half a dozen at least of ignition switches for this fault, and never had a come back. There is a long thread on here from a very long time ago where I saw the first one of these faults. Television and I conversed at length about it, both on the thread and via PM. We tried SAM replacements and loads of things before finding the ignition switch to be the problem. It was certainly a difficult diagnosis for us then!

OP
MBGB

MBGB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes it was an interesting one for them to. They have now logged it, because I stated that this was not an isolated occasion, Maastricht have now logged it and passed it on to Stuttgart via the Customer Services at Milton Keyen MB UK.
Very sad to be in this situation, where you are telling the mechanics what is wrong, and they then order up the part, fit it, test it and find out the customer was right, and still charge you a fortune. The good news is that Customer Services MB have given me £200 back on the bill.
Still not sure what the hell is going on with my mates SL 350 same year as well. They only made 2000 SL350's in 2011 and to have a different, his fault defies ALL logic..........."Control unit" in the roof causing the same issues as mine.
How sophisticated are these SL's, when even the mechanics can only search for spurious voltage drops to isolate the problems???

foremost4

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL R230 2010
Got an issue with the windscreen wiper not working and the orange warning roll bar symbol comes up when the stalk is pushed or turned.
Checked the voltage in the boot battery well over 12 volts, but strangely when I move the roll bar switch on the central console up or down the windscreen wipers work again.
Anybody had a similar issue like that?
Checking the battery in the boot which is a proper MB battery dated 2016, is there a chance they fitted the wrong variant causing this issue?
Hello, I realise the problem you had with your SL was quite some time ago, but did you get to the root of the problem? I’ve resourced numerous searches the ignition switch is often mentioned. Mine is stored in the garage auxiliary battery is on trickle charge. It all seems to clear after just a few miles. Any help would be immensely appreciated. Thanks

OP
MBGB

MBGB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi, It was the ignition switch and paid for by Mercedes finally. Apologies for not making that clear in my earlier post.
Stay Safe

Top Bottom