SL500 - ashtray cover

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Hi

Been meaning to ask for ages, but my ashtray cover only slides back so far and therefore it makes access to it quite difficult and makes removing the actual ashtray impossible. I'm sure there's probably something stuck behind it - so the question is, how can remove the cover without taking the centre consul off? Is there a way to get behind it easily and simply??

Here's a couple of pics of how far back it goes:

SWzAySx.jpg

urcEH6a.jpg

Thoughts/advice appreciated.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You could try removing the side panels (they just clip in) to see if you can gain access.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
You could try removing the side panels (they just clip in) to see if you can gain access.

Not a bad idea. Is there a good way to remove them?

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Ok cool. I've done a bit searching and it seems I might need to remove the centre console - seems like a lot of opportunity to mess things up!
Also, I've been out with a torch and had a look inside and it seems there is a small gold coloured circular thing stuck behind the lid. Definitely not a coin. I'm wondering if its a plumbing olive or something as the guy I bought the car from was a plumber? Or, is there something like that that operates the lid in some way?

It seems to be stuck in a little sort of alcove/gap behind the lid.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Centre console comes out fairly easily.

Attachments

• 230 console cover.pdf
    275.9 KB · Views: 22
OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Centre console comes out fairly easily.

Thanks. That looks feasible. I'll have to get a plastic wedge first as I only have screwdrivers to hand. Will have a look on Ebay for a set - unless anyone knows of any decent but reasonably priced ones to look for? I think having a set of wedges will be useful anyway.

Found these - looks like there's plenty of options with this set. Looking for a UK seller as I'd like to get it done next week as have some free time.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-PCS-P...154016&hash=item1c8a5955ac:g:BbsAAOSwPh5ZLHv2

or maybe this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12PCS-Ca...m=163067270716&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks. That looks feasible. I'll have to get a plastic wedge first as I only have screwdrivers to hand. Will have a look on Ebay for a set - unless anyone knows of any decent but reasonably priced ones to look for? I think having a set of wedges will be useful anyway.

Found these - looks like there's plenty of options with this set. Looking for a UK seller as I'd like to get it done next week as have some free time.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-PCS-P...154016&hash=item1c8a5955ac:g:BbsAAOSwPh5ZLHv2

or maybe this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12PCS-Car-Trim-Removal-Tool-Radio-Door-Clip-Panel-Dash-Audio-Pry-Kit-Lu01/163067270716?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20140122125356&meid=0fdc090312734bbb9d7dae45b0a9cbc9&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&mehot=ag&sd=122580194732&itm=163067270716&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
Second set looks ok, I’ve loads of trim tools and they’re very useful and don’t cause the damage that muppets with screwdrivers do

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Second set looks ok, I’ve loads of trim tools and they’re very useful and don’t cause the damage that muppets with screwdrivers do

Thanks. Ordered a set as I think they'll be useful going forwards. Will let you know how I get on with this.

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
The gold coloured thing that you can see behind the ashtray is the spring that should hold it closed it's meant to be there, getting the centre console off is straight forward. You don't say what year your car is but if it's an early on you don't need to remove cup holder, should come out like this.
There are two very small Philips screws on the underside of the ashtray lid if you need to remove it, just be careful not to drop them as I doubt you'll find them again.
DSC_0561.JPG DSC_0562.JPG

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
The gold coloured thing that you can see behind the ashtray is the spring that should hold it closed it's meant to be there, getting the centre console off is straight forward. You don't say what year your car is but if it's an early on you don't need to remove cup holder, should come out like this.
There are two very small Philips screws on the underside of the ashtray lid if you need to remove it, just be careful not to drop them as I doubt you'll find them again.
View attachment 49017 View attachment 49018

Mine is a 2005. The gold thing looks like a ring (as in its a circle) and is pretty thin - so obviously not a ring, but you get the idea. At the moment its wedged in a small dip behind the ashtray. I'm hoping that once I free the centre console I should be able to reach in and remove it without removing the console entirely. Based on the videos I've watched that should do the trick.

On the cupholders, what's the best way to remove the blank one? Just use a small pry tool and some force or is there a method/area to use?

Thanks

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
The front of the actual cup holder and the blank next to it only clip on so yes a plastic pry tool and it should pop off easily, I looked at replacing mine with a double cup holder but refuse to pay even the £99, which is the cheapest I've seen for a double.
You may have a foreign object behind there although the spring itself is circular at one end so that it moves smoothly agains the back of the ashtray but it will be interesting to see what's in there. :)

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
The front of the actual cup holder and the blank next to it only clip on so yes a plastic pry tool and it should pop off easily, I looked at replacing mine with a double cup holder but refuse to pay even the £99, which is the cheapest I've seen for a double.
You may have a foreign object behind there although the spring itself is circular at one end so that it moves smoothly agains the back of the ashtray but it will be interesting to see what's in there. :)

Ah now that makes sense. It does look like it would be difficult for it to have gotten in there otherwise. Will let you know once I get the tools and get it opened up...

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Hi

The trim removal tools arrived and I had to wait till the weekend to have a go at this. The panels came of easily, as did the 3 screws each side holding the centre console in place. The console itself was a bit difficult to get free but eventually came loose. In the end, I found a 5p coin in the side of the ashtray lid so managed to remove that. This was in the groove that the lid slides along and was quite difficult to see.
I also found this/it came loose and I'm not sure what it is: essentially a round plastic wheel with a small hub on each side with some thin flat metal wrapped around it. Not sure what it is or where it goes. I've put most of the car back together but thought I better check what this was!
So, any ideas??

kLIxjTR.jpg

rFpQXpq.jpg

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Hmm, it's always natural to have some parts left over :rolleyes:

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Worked out that the part above attaches to the ashtray lid and sits at the back of the whole assembly. So took it all apart again and managed to fit it on. Took a while, but eventually worked out that as the coiled metal slides side to side on the drum, I could put it in place, open the lid and then move it sideways to latch it on. Anyway, seems to be on there.

Then I found that the little lever that slides to release the ashtray wasn't holding the ashtray down anymore. Lots of messing about later and I found this lying inside the tunnel:

tI8fzfF.jpg

Cue more messing about trying to fit it without removing the entire console from the car. No luck. Just can't work out how it fits in. Though I'd dropped it somewhere I couldn't reach it at one point so I closed it all back up and put the piece into the ashtray so if I ever find someone that knows how it fits I can ask them!

At least the lid opens properly now which means I can get to the USB charger I've installed into the lighter socket more easily who was the main point of doing it. I've learnt a lot over the weekend doing this!

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have to remove my ciggy lighter socket at some point as the lighter socket doesn't work, the pieces inside aren't making contact and have lost their springiness. hopefully I wont have to remove the entire console!

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
I have to remove my ciggy lighter socket at some point as the lighter socket doesn't work, the pieces inside aren't making contact and have lost their springiness. hopefully I wont have to remove the entire console!

Well if you do, then I found this video really useful. It actually wasn't that hard. Its hard to get access to the area with the console still in place.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks rexemper. I did have the old 500 centre console out when I replaced over a year ago, but good to have a refresher ;)

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom