SLK 200 heavy steering and handbrake failure

Clare

Reaction score
My wife's SLK200 is 5 years old, she bought it secondhand in Sussex.
I have had 5 different Mercedes cars and never found them to have heavy steering like this car. I have read one of your forum members, who has had a similar problem. We had Chichester MB try it out, they said all is normal.
Then yesterday the handbrake failed, it just flops back down, no ratchet or anything.
So we called the garage where we had purchased the SLK, it is still on a 6 months guarantee, they have taken the car away and are examining it.
Their immediate comment was "the steering seems OK and the handbrake ratchet is stuck".
So I wonder what we should be expecting, are there any points we should ask or look out for.
Thanks

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
My wife's SLK200 is 5 years old, she bought it secondhand in Sussex.
I have had 5 different Mercedes cars and never found them to have heavy steering like this car. I have read one of your forum members, who has had a similar problem. We had Chichester MB try it out, they said all is normal.
Then yesterday the handbrake failed, it just flops back down, no ratchet or anything.
So we called the garage where we had purchased the SLK, it is still on a 6 months guarantee, they have taken the car away and are examining it.
Their immediate comment was "the steering seems OK and the handbrake ratchet is stuck".
So I wonder what we should be expecting, are there any points we should ask or look out for.
Thanks

which cars are you comparing the SLK to though? I had a 1999 e class and a 2001 c class was also in the family. in comparison to the e class, the c class steering was VERY heavy. that said, I personally (because I'm odd like that) preferred it. its entirely possible that the steering is as it should be, however there may also be a fault.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Does the car have speed sensitive steering.

OP
C

Clare

Reaction score
Heavy steering on SLK200

The SLK200 doesn't have speed sensitive steering.
I have a C350 AMG Sport and it does have, but the difference is extreme, so I just wondered if it was OK or would it be wearing out the tyres.

What about the handbrake failing, is that a normal thing at a small mileage?.

Thanks for your comments.:-D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
possibly needs a new hand brake lever assembly

1ae656fb0911d2c68177ac5ddb0347bc-480x362.gif

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E320cdi S211, SL320 2000(written off), Lotus Excel
Start with basics - are tyre pressures correct? Has it had front suspension/ steering geometry checked? Have the tyres got an uneven wear pattern or feathering? When you say heavy steering is this with car stationary or moving?

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom