SLK 230 Kompressor 1998

Darren Field

New Registration
Reaction score
I'm hoping you may be able to offer some advice or at least point me in the right direction. I own a 1998 230SLK Kompressor, which I love. I have only done 50,000 miles from new and spend many a hour looking after her. This week the Kompressor unit has started to squeal, on inspection I would say the bearing is dry. Would anybody there know if this is a common problem, maybe even a design fault, or if this is repairable? Obviously to buy a complete new Kompressor unit will be expensive so I would like to repair it if possible.

Please Help!!!

jimsinessex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 W209 CLK 320CDI Coupe
Hi Darren,
I have a 1999 CLK 230 Kompressor and at 62000 miles had a squealing noise from the kompressor. It turned out to be the clutch bearing and, according to MB, could not be replaced separately.

The new kompressor was priced at £708 + VAT

I claimed under Mobilo and asked for "goodwill", the upshot was MB agreed to pay 50% parts and labour which gave me a bill of less than £600

The key move seemed to be calling out the MB Dealer's mechanic under Mobilo as a technical breakdown, asking him to tell me if the car was fit to drive (he hummed and harred and wouldn't commit himself), telling them to tow the car in and repair it. If you drive the car to the dealer it is not a "technical breakdown". this happened on a Bank Holiday Saturday and MB eventually agreed to pay for the recovery from outside my house, 5 days hire of a C230K Saloon and 50% of the parts and labour.

If they had turned down the Mobilo claim though I would have been liable for the recovery and the hire car.

To sum up, one way or another it sounds like you need a new kompressor.

Good luck, Jim

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
If it were me, I wouldn't be rushing to pay Merc hundreds of pounds to replace a component that shouldn't have failed in the first place. I would launch a 2 pronged approach.

Firstly, I would go in very heavy with MBUK (legal, papers, top gear etc) as there is no way that a properly maintaned supercharger should fail after only 60k or normal use. Given their poor reputation these days, you may not get far with this. In the old days my dad had a full engine rebuild at 80k after a similar discussion (actually MB volunteered!) but times seem to have changed. The 50% off parts sounds good, but they probably put 100% markup on in the first place, so they just gave up their profit and at £90+ per hour, the dealer is laughing (at you!).

Secondly, there are loads of engineering firms that replace bearings. Turbo repairs are commonplace and I suspect a call to a few of these would locate someone who can put a new bearing set in your supercharger for a hell of a lot less that £600-1000.

There is always the put a warranty on it (£250) wait a few weeks and claim method - but that would be unethical!

joe bloggs

Reaction score
Mobilo will not pay for the repairs, only transport, hire cars, uplift, hotel/taxi bills etc, if the car is out of warranty (3yrs uk) then all repairs are chargeable. DCUK however operate a goodwill policy and can authorise up to £500 as long as the dealer and customer contribute a similar amount, i.e. £1500 repair would cost you £500. They can (very occasionally) agree to waive the dealer/customer contribution, and just pay for the lot depending on circumstances.

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Life of a supercharger?

Hi all

I have a Kompressor model, a C230 Sport saloon, which is approaching 90k miles and have had no trouble from the supercharger.

What is the realistic life of a supercharger and what routine maintenance do you/dealer give it?

REGARDS Phil

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Supercharger maintenance

An afterthought ...

Does the supercharger have its own lubrication system and therefore its own routine maintenance programme? I imagine it is independent of the engine?

Is the supercharger a sealed unit and therefore maintenance free and has to be replaced rather than repaired?

REGARDS Phil

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom