Slow warm up on W209 cdi

Tacho D

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230K W208
I find that it takes ages for the 220 CDI engine to reach operating temperature. I suspected the thermostat, but I thought it is more common for these to fail shut, causing overheating. As the coolant is due for replacement, it may be worth replacing the thermostat anyway. In addition, the heater delivers heat as all or nothing, regardless of the temperature setting. Are the two issues related?

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
I find that it takes ages for the 220 CDI engine to reach operating temperature. I suspected the thermostat, but I thought it is more common for these to fail shut, causing overheating. As the coolant is due for replacement, it may be worth replacing the thermostat anyway. In addition, the heater delivers heat as all or nothing, regardless of the temperature setting. Are the two issues related?

The 2 I've had fail , were open , some just open too soon . Diesels have to be driven hard if you want a fast warm up time.

redjules51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 220cdi 2008
My 220 cdi always takes a few miles. Longer in winter months I hasten to add. Definitely check the thermostat though. When I replaced faulty one it had stuck open.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
If it’s cheap enough and you have the coolant to do , just replace it at the same time anyway , they don’t last forever .

AlanGunn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 C250 sport+ 2.1d
I can feel heat start coming from the vents on mine in around 3 minutes driving out of the estate.
It then takes 10 to 15 minutes to get up to temp normal driving.
Does that sound right (new to mrec).

OP
Tacho D

Tacho D

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230K W208
Yes apparently, they are not the quickest to warm up, but as it turned out, mine wasn't going past 60 degrees and that was effecting economy. So changed it, a little fiddly, and changed the coolant at the same time as that was overdue. Now running at normal temperature with good economy.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom