Something went bang...

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Alex sorry to hear of your woes, keep your pecker up old chap.

Another suggestion for what it's worth, rather than chasing round the world for a 55k engine, why not buy a complete car from a breaker ?

Last edited:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I may do this after the refund is processed, I would normally chase them but this is number 6 on a list of stupid stuff happening to me this month (including trying to buy a house, moving, blown up car, other car blown up, stupid neighbours threatening family etc), so its been pushed down the list.

alex sorrio,hope all sorts out well,if i was nearer would come and offer some help , considered fairly useful with eng/trannies. crap with electronics tho. thought my day was bad got up ,pc on, find document ,select print ,nowt! 2 hr later faulty usb cable changed ,then the b******d ran out of ink , town and back .result +half day to print 3 pages...well P off

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
alex sorrio,hope all sorts out well,if i was nearer would come and offer some help , considered fairly useful with eng/trannies. crap with electronics tho. thought my day was bad got up ,pc on, find document ,select print ,nowt! 2 hr later faulty usb cable changed ,then the b******d ran out of ink , town and back .result +half day to print 3 pages...well P off

Much appreciated! Im having one of those days too, dealing with lettings agencies. How they can get out of bed in the morning I have no idea. I have 3 people all asking for the same thing, all working for the same company.

Im about to go down there and beat them with a phone.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Much appreciated! Im having one of those days too, dealing with lettings agencies. How they can get out of bed in the morning I have no idea. I have 3 people all asking for the same thing, all working for the same company.

Im about to go down there and beat them with a phone.

let it be a really old,ie large and heavy one .

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I've always thought the baseball bat of further education works quite well...

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've always thought the baseball bat of further education works quite well...

pick axe handle fairly useful as well. plod does not like it tho ,even when you have a reciept dated that day

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update (at last)

Unfortunately, I am none the wiser.

It also appears somebody has been into this engine before, the head gaskets have evidence of silicone sealant visible from the outside, as does the rear main seal retainer. So much for full service history.

Firstly, in progress shot, took me ages to get to this point because I'm crap. :

Plenums off:

Rocker covers off:

First indication of where the fault is...

The dark side is very sludgy crusty. Its like a layer of deposits over everything.

Head off and I was expecting to find carnage:

Not great but not horrific

And the head itself:

Soooo, no massive hole in piston, no massive gouged liners, but still this:

[YOUTUBE]J3XUzYSOWn4[/YOUTUBE]

Best bet is still an oil control ring I think.

New engine is going in soon, its from an SL 55 so sumps/oil pumps etc need to be swapped. Suspect I may run into an issue there, but best leave that to later.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Smoke all the time normally indicates rings, smoke only when you rev after idle is valves.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
The traces of silicone around edges of the head gasket is from the factory. As you have it out, pull off the large plate that the rear main oil seal is fitted into. Behind it you will find a "U bend" that allows the oil to drain from the back of the right hand cylinder head, back to the sump. My money is on a blockage there that is probably responsible for your problems.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The traces of silicone around edges of the head gasket is from the factory. As you have it out, pull off the large plate that the rear main oil seal is fitted into. Behind it you will find a "U bend" that allows the oil to drain from the back of the right hand cylinder head, back to the sump. My money is on a blockage there that is probably responsible for your problems.

All clear at the back there, have had the plate off. Also checked that both the breathers drained oil back down to the head before I started, both did :(

Trust me this silicone job is not a factory one. Its obvious once the head was pulled off.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
All clear at the back there, have had the plate off. Also checked that both the breathers drained oil back down to the head before I started, both did :(

Trust me this silicone job is not a factory one. Its obvious once the head was pulled off.

Fair enough then :D

I'll be interested to see if it is a broken ring. I'd have expected more scoring of the bore if that was the case.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Fair enough then :D

I'll be interested to see if it is a broken ring. I'd have expected more scoring of the bore if that was the case.

Once we got that rear plate off, it was obvious somebody had pulled it apart, and put it back together again. :(

I said that too, but the HUUGE amounts of oil sitting on top of the valves is a mystery.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I'm going with oil scraper ring.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Update (at last)

Unfortunately, I am none the wiser.

I think you were far to hasty to get heads off... to me all along was NOTHING mechanical, but I know nothing about merc engines and even less on supercharged ones.

I's say right bank was running hotter, hence fractionally dirty valve gear. And probably like any digital speedo car someone somewhere removed miles electronically. You can take 100 k of a well locked after car these days and 9.5 out of 10 wouldn't be able to tell. I'd put new gaskets on put it together and look for supercharger or controls faults

a second hand engine in my mind is much less than 50 50 gamble...

by the way never leave liners to own divices overnight or it will likely need whole engine apart to change the seal at the bottom.

good luck !!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom