Speed limiters mandatory from 2022 on new cars

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Just read this online post from the Mirror, anyone come across it elsewhere?

Speed limiters mandatory in new cars from 2022

In 2022, speed limiters - which alert drivers when they're going too fast - will be mandatory in all new cars.

If the driver doesn’t slow down, the limiters will force the car will intervene.

The limiter can be overridden in some circumstances, for example if you’re overtaking.

If this is tied in with Satellite Navigation / camera reading of road signs I guess that I'll be sticking with old cars from now on.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
It is similar to the limiters on existing MB only smarter and can be overidden the same way.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
we are losing our freedom really quickly now , every other day a new this or that is coming out to kerb our behaviour , shame it only seems to apply to motorists . . . .

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
we are losing our freedom really quickly now , every other day a new this or that is coming out to kerb our behaviour , shame it only seems to apply to motorists . . . .
How are we losing our freedom?

It is a driver aide!

I’m pretty sure it will be easy to disable and, as I previously stated can be overridden, by pressing the gas pedal.

IMO, it is a good thing as there are way too many zombie drivers on the road.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
so lots of braking for no good reason ? that's a great thing isn't it ? they aren't zombie drivers pal they are crap drivers ! like having children , some people just shouldnt be allowed behind the wheel of a vehicle

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Don't see what the problem is. I had an audible speed limit warning on an Audi A4 20 years ago and it was very useful, saved me getting carried away on a Motorway and ending up with a speeding ticket. I welcome such a device becoming mandatory. :)

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have read this right ? " the car will intervene if the driver doesn't slow down " , that's a bit more than an alert in my book , yes ive had got cars that flash up the speed limit OR a preset speed warning , usefull thing for sure

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
There is an EU directive somewhere that covers this.

The EU Galileo satellite is the spy in the sky for this.

Brexit threw some spanners in.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Don't see what the problem is. I had an audible speed limit warning on an Audi A4 20 years ago and it was very useful, saved me getting carried away on a Motorway and ending up with a speeding ticket. I welcome such a device becoming mandatory. :)
Is that not how the EU works? That's where the origins of this idea come from, bring in a simple law that no one could possibly take offence to, then by stealth, amend it every year or two till it does not resemble anything like the original idea and you don't see the problem?

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
so lots of braking for no good reason ? that's a great thing isn't it ? they aren't zombie drivers pal they are crap drivers ! like having children , some people just shouldnt be allowed behind the wheel of a vehicle
How do you know "so lots of braking for no good reason” will happen? ....Be informed before you argue.

What is the difference between a Zombie driver and a crap driver? Is a Zombie driver a good driver?......Pal.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Just read this online post from the Mirror, anyone come across it elsewhere?
Must be a slow news day for the Mirror. :D
This information was first made available over 2 years ago and has already been discussed at length on probably every car forum.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Must be a slow news day for the Mirror. :D
This information was first made available over 2 years ago and has already been discussed at length on probably every car forum.
I am sure we ran through it on here.

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
The new highway code is due out later this year where the motorist apparently gets caned even more in favour of cyclists and pedestrians....

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
The new highway code is due out later this year where the motorist apparently gets caned even more in favour of cyclists and pedestrians....
Now that’s really undurprising.
If a new political party was formed, say for moderate working & middle class people promoting moderate values, they’d probably win a landslide.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
If a new political party was formed, say for moderate working & middle class people promoting moderate values, they’d probably win a landslide.
Was that not what once upon a time Labour used to stand for?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Was that not what once upon a time Labour used to stand for?
One aspect of Labour, perhaps.

I thought that Farage was trying to get something like this set up…

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Brexit was a bit pointless really Oooops..politics ! :eek:

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
I think if you get caught speeding with device on your car but you’ve disabled it which I’ve read you can then there will be a new law doubling your fine and points

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom