Starting up after a long time - Starting the Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonymous

Reaction score
HI
We have a series 126 S-Class (420SE)  that has not been driven for about a year. We are about to start it, is there anything we should do before we do so, because of the time it has sat idle?

Many thanks Tan

OP
A

Anonymous

Reaction score
Starting up after a long time

Tan.
Here are some general checks applicable to most cars that have been stored or left under cover for a considerable time without special  precautions having been taken.The damper the storage conditions, the more likely the defects may have occurred.
!. Petrol will have degraded & condensation occurred in the tank unless it was left full.Poor quality petrol inhibits starting, if this occurs,drain off old stuff & replenish with new.
2.Ideally engine oil should be changed, if not possible immediately, turn engine over with ignition disconnected,
to circulate oil before start up.
3.Battery should be fully charged & terminals clean.
4.Brake discs will be corroded & pads could be adhered to discs.(Check before driving onto public road) If pads are "Free" discs can be cleaned by repeated brake applications(At moderate speed,again on non public roads)
5. If handbrake has been left applied On it might require freeing off & the cable may have stretched.
6.Brake system should be exercised both before & after start up & fluid renewed ASAP
7. If A manual car the clutch may well have bonded to the flywheel,if it has been left engaged i,e, pedal not left propped in depressed position.There are DIY methods to free it off but I hesitate to recommend them!
8.With the car left standing on its wheels the tyres may well have flat  spotted. If the tyres are relatively new,true roundness can sometimes be restored by inflating(& leaving for a few hours) to 10psi above normal recommended pressure-with the flat spotted area NOT taking the weight of the car.
9.Antifreeze mixture would also benefit from renewal .
Much of the above is "worst case scenario" & may not apply. If you are not a competant DIY on cars, I would get the car to a local reputable garage & have a minor service together with the above fluid changes.
Not being familiar with the S class I may have overlooked some points & if Andy(Mercedes servicing.com) posts on this, take his advice rather than mine!
May fortune smile upon you

(Edited by ernest sidesman at 6:49 pm on July 26, 2001)

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com

Hi Tan & Ernest

Tan Ernest has given you some good advice. I think I may of spoken to you by phone. But for those reading these postings, all Ernest has said is correct. You may not be able to carry out some of what Ernest advises your self. So once the vehicle is started, and you are sure the brakes are ok. Then get to a reputable garage. Have the vehicle inspected.

As a side issue, for those of you reading this. Older cars need more love & attention than new ones. Yet most of my customers seem to think that the older the vehicle the less maintenance. Think of your vehicle like a human body. Bits of us wear out at different times. Therefore as we get older we need more attention than when we were 19/20 and we thought we were invincible. Take a little more care and we will all see 100.

I will get of my soap box now.

Regards
Andy@www.mercedesservicing.com
PS
Thanks Ernest for reading my postings.
Any more questions!?!?

OP
A

Anonymous

Reaction score

Hi Guys

Thanks to both Ernest and Andy for your advice. It is much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom