Stop-start B******t technology.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
My van has the ****** thing But you can turn it off for good, without it coming back on. Dont make the mistake I did when coming to traffic lights. Stopped, out of gear, foot off the clutch then within a millisecond lights changed so put foot back on and boooom van stalled and shot forward. Now I know to give it at least a few seconds before starting it again. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
a motor & a generator/alternator are very similar ..... (put very simply) if you supply power to a motor & it spins, where as if you spin a generator/alternator you get power
You're almost there ED, an Alternator used for generating AC is wired differently to an AC motor and are two physically different machines whereas a DC Machine, known as such because it can do both, will generate electricity if driven and will spin when a DC voltage is applied to the output terminals, for an 'Alternator' to be used as a starter motor some complicated AC/DC/AC Rectification/Inversion circuits would need to be utilised as the core Machine would have to be a DC Machine NOT an Alternator!

Donald McPherson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180 komp elegance se a 2005
So does this alternator thingy start the engine via the belt? Don't like that idea.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score

Nice to get up to date on the technology all sounds very good on paper. I don’t think I would use the phrases ‘operates virtually unnoticed by the driver’ or ‘restarting the engine takes place almost imperceptibly’ when describing a modern diesel perhaps if we were describing the old petrol M103 IL6 which was inaudible at tick-over and super smooth in operation it would be more accurate, I cringe on the odd occasion that I forget to turn stop/start off on my OM642 and the restart kicks in

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Nice to get up to date on the technology all sounds very good on paper. I don’t think I would use the phrases ‘operates virtually unnoticed by the driver’ or ‘restarting the engine takes place almost imperceptibly’ when describing a modern diesel perhaps if we were describing the old petrol M103 IL6 which was inaudible at tick-over and super smooth in operation it would be more accurate, I cringe on the odd occasion that I forget to turn stop/start off on my OM642 and the restart kicks in

Aaah all the marketing speak.....

My garage is just big enough for the sl (say 18" to spare) so I used to look at the parking sensor bar graph warning lights and nudge in using the brake & idle......on brake, engine would switch off, off brake engine on & a slight lurch........repeat, repeat. Luckily for me the SmartTop, which I'd have purchased anyway, solves the problem.

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Blue EFFICIENCY 250 CDI Sport 2013
Speaking of "stop / start" I believe it's fitted to the merc that I'm picking up tomorrow....( 2014 W212 E Class 220 Automatic ) Can it be "Deselected " safely? If so how is it done? I've heard of pulling the 7.5 fuse near the Auxiliary battery, does the trick,,,,anyone got any suggestions? :)
I note you haven't had a reply to your query. I bought an E 250 Blue Efficiency sport last week and it doesn't 'stop start', I don't know if it has been disabled , but I don't intend to enable it anyway!

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
I note you haven't had a reply to your query. I bought an E 250 Blue Efficiency sport last week and it doesn't 'stop start', I don't know if it has been disabled , but I don't intend to enable it anyway!

Really, I feel just a bit stupid ( more so than normal anyway... :confused: ) But all the time, the answer was right there in front of me...on the switch console, to be exact.. right beside the emergency flasher switch......it can be manually turned on or off, but its automatically on by default. But flip the switch, and off it goes. When it's active, there is an "ECO" icon which changes color depending on whether it's on or off. What year is your E250?

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

So the starter motor has been modified to take 8 time's more starting sequences.....but what about the timing chains and tensioners? ( I presume that the ring gear on the flywheel has also been modified... ???)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
So the starter motor has been modified to take 8 time's more starting sequences.....but what about the timing chains and tensioners? ( I presume that the ring gear on the flywheel has also been modified... ???)
That's my biggest concern.
We know the 651 can be vulnerable to chain wear at the best of times and starting from stationary is the point at which maximum load on the chain and sprockets occurs.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

Clunk, click, turn off stop/start every trip Jim. :rolleyes::)

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes Andy, it's fast becoming SOP on start-up.....but even so, occasionally, it slips through the net, and I discover it ...again !!! I wonder if the switch was taken out, and the wiring altered to the permanently off position??? Or in the MB IOT would that cause another problem?o_O

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Yes Andy, it's fast becoming SOP on start-up.....but even so, occasionally, it slips through the net, and I discover it ...again !!! I wonder if the switch was taken out, and the wiring altered to the permanently off position??? Or in the MB IOT would that cause another problem?o_O

I do occasionally forget, the button is somewhat hidden from the driver :rolleyes:

DSCF0344.JPG

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Really, I feel just a bit stupid ( more so than normal anyway... :confused: ) But all the time, the answer was right there in front of me...on the switch console, to be exact.. right beside the emergency flasher switch......it can be manually turned on or off, but its automatically on by default. But flip the switch, and off it goes. When it's active, there is an "ECO" icon which changes color depending on whether it's on or off. What year is your E250?
It's a very clean 2013 with 54k on the clock. Very pleased with it especially the bit where it shows 50mpg, it didn't come with an owners manual, which the Approved Mercedes dealer is chasing up at the moment, I did ask if the gearbox oil had been changed or flushed, to be honest I don't think he was on the same wavelength! He did say that with the service it has got prior to my purchasing ' It must be included', not sure that I am happy with that response, once I get the owners manual I will ask him to check. I thought he should know at the push of a button, somebody should anyway, it was the main dealer for goodness sake.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

Doesn't it default to active as soon as you turn the engine off? It does in both MBs I currently own and the previous one.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Doesn't it default to active as soon as you turn the engine off? It does in both MBs I currently own and the previous one.

Yes it does Rory..every time. That's why I was wondering if i took the switch out, and linked the wires in the "off" position, would it have any negative affect on the system? Wth modern electronics you just don't know what might happen..might be better just leave it, and manually switch it off each time, just like in the Superb.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's a very clean 2013 with 54k on the clock. Very pleased with it especially the bit where it shows 50mpg, it didn't come with an owners manual, which the Approved Mercedes dealer is chasing up at the moment, I did ask if the gearbox oil had been changed or flushed, to be honest I don't think he was on the same wavelength! He did say that with the service it has got prior to my purchasing ' It must be included', not sure that I am happy with that response, once I get the owners manual I will ask him to check. I thought he should know at the push of a button, somebody should anyway, it was the main dealer for goodness sake.

Being a MB main dealer its a bit odd alright, because once they have the ignition key, they can download the vehicle history. I went to the local MB dealership, handed over the key and a few mins later, they gave me a print out of the service history, and I had not even bought the car from them. They also changed the Mercedes me dongle which had been in the car when I bought it,from the previous owner to me. Take the key into them and ask for the downloaded history.

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Being a MB main dealer its a bit odd alright, because once they have the ignition key, they can download the vehicle history. I went to the local MB dealership, handed over the key and a few mins later, they gave me a print out of the service history, and I had not even bought the car from them. They also changed the Mercedes me dongle which had been in the car when I bought it,from the previous owner to me. Take the key into them and ask for the downloaded history.
I certainly will.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom