Supermarket fuel price cut con

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
Although many news sites are trumpeting the decision by some supermarkets to cut 4p a lt off both pet / derv, it is becoming clear that this will only apply to a limited number of their sites and that many will only introduce cuts of about 2p a litre.

This is borne out by comments left on various newspaper websites by those who have brought the subject up with the forecourts they have visited today.

same old same old........:(

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Shouldn't this be in the general section -as of general interest?

I agree. ASDA cut prices at all their sites BUT tesco only cut to match nearby competition. Tesco near me is 2 or 3p per litre dearer than Tesco in Southampton (where there is more competition).

OP
T

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
Morrisons hasn't bothered at it's two St Helens stores yet have been on the news trumpeting its ' 4p lt" cut from Monday night. Complete lie and they should be shown up for this.

OP
T

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
Two stores involved changed their prices at midnight last night ( tues ). However, there is a catch. They are only letting you buy £40 of diesel at a time.
I turned up with an almost empty tank and was not pleased when the pump was cut off.
Its only about 7 gallons. Take it up with the store manager was all the cashier would say. Not going to bother, will simply fill elsewhere from now on.

Silver Arrow

Reaction score
The media also reported that BP stations were reducing price.
My local one hasn't

OP
T

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
Time the media got off its butt and actually made enquires in to the press releases they receive from these companies instead of just publishing them.

It is clear from the ' leave your comment " section of several national newspaper websites today, that the so called price reductions have been few and far between and that many have not matched those advised of in their press release, quoting ' local market conditions " as a reason for not dropping them by the amount mentioned.

and11

Reaction score
Bp, deny!

The media also reported that BP stations were reducing price.
My local one hasn't

I heard same on radio this morn, mentioned it to the cashier at BP 5 mins later and she said no, only supermarkets doing it? £131.9 for diesel, york road leeds.

OP
T

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
I'd rather push my vehicle than fill up at BP. They have always been the most expensive for any type of fuel in the last 10 years to my knowledge.

OP
T

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
Went past my local Shell this morning and derv was £1.30.9
Returned past it tonight and it was £1.26.9 !!!!!

So Morrisons can shove their £40 limit and I will put ' proper " fuel in my ML for the same price.

Silver Arrow

Reaction score
The local Shell is always cheaper than the BP.
Nearer too!
Unfortunatley it is the other side of the river from my house.
The other problem is that the queues spread out on the road so the only time one can get in is coming home late at night.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Well done Morrisons. They have certainly led prices down in the Southampton area.

britnordic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 SLK 200 & 2013 E Class 220
It's just a con!

Up in Durham yesterday and journeyed back to Cambridge. 300+ miles yesterday. Tesco up there was £1.31 (why do they bother with that .9 of a penny!) then Morrisons on the outskirts of Hull was £1.28. Got back home and Tesco was £1.34. Incidentally I believe Tesco at Bar Hill (A14) is one of the most expensive Tesco garages for fuel. When I enquired a year ago I was told it was because Cambridge is one of the most "remote" places in the country?????

SUPERMARKETS......DON'T YOU JUST LOVE THEM!
KILL OFF THE LOCAL COMPETION THEN HIKE THE PRICE!

TONY....on one of his rants!:mad:

OP
T

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
'Cambridge is one of the most "remote" places in the country?????

Haaaa ! There is a Shell station right outside the Stanlowe Oil refinery and for years it was one of the most expensive filling stations on the Wirral !

J

jon_harley

I was just reading on the BBC news site that the price of crude oil fell 10% in London last week compared to the week before, so a cut of 4p on 130p does not seem generous, shouldn't it be 13p?

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
I was just reading on the BBC news site that the price of crude oil fell 10% in London last week compared to the week before, so a cut of 4p on 130p does not seem generous, shouldn't it be 13p?

Nope - because the Corrupt, Lying UK Government takes the bulk of the price in TAX. The actual cost of fuel is only a small proportion of the amount you pay at the pump.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport

With a price of 130p about 70p is tax.

But in addition there is quite a time lag from world oil market to refinery, to pumps, to you and me. Good news though. Substantial falls. Hope they continue.

jules_e240

Reaction score
To be fair, my local Morrisons cut unleaded from 115.9 to 111.9 on Thursday :D

OP
T

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
To be unfair, they put out a press release on Monday 21st saying they would be reducing prices from midnight. This didn't happen at many Morrisons stores so it was little more than a blatant lie. How many thousands of gallons do you think they sold between Mon and Thurs ?

johnmc

Reaction score
Hi,I'm in San Diego right now, on holiday for a change. Fuel prices are falling daily here, following the oil price down. Back to under $4 a gallon. Must have dropped 8 cents in the last week alone. Bet it's not doing that in the UK, they'll be keeping the prices high to milk us as usual. Don't be fooled by any giveaway deals in the UK we're being had as normal.

John

Top Bottom