temperature related juddering on GLC

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
You have got no chance, Mercedes are now making customers sign a disclaimer when they pick up the car!

If that doesn't say "We're going to do bugger all about it" I don't know what does. :rolleyes:

that is a preposterous disclaimer... what idiot lawyer wrote that garbage, its completely admitting there is known FAULT with the car !!!

BCHDIMECHE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC250d
I was just sent an email by a mate titled "Mercedes being stupid?" all I got was this link.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=10&t=1645518&i=0

but would be best to watch this video first and disregard the detritus posted by the halfwits on that forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO5rqpYPNjo&feature=youtu.be

anyway the gist is with the steering on a lock, there's an odd knocking noise from the tyres / suspension on brand new RHD Mercedes GLC's and Mercedes Benz are not acknowledging this as a fault.

I initially responded to his email in a rather disparaging manner :) having only read these two responses on pistonheads

and

My first sarcastic response

I then found the link to a video on youtube (that I added a link to above) and decided I needed to put a more sensible tone in another response.

Maybe it's not as absurd as your comments about me, my sister (the 911 owner) and my chartered engineer husband.....Oh, and I'm very much still alive.

SortedE320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 W211 E320CDI SPORT 7-G WAGON & 1998 R170
Man/woman goes into car dealer and declares a fault with his/her car.

Dealer sucks his teeth and says.... They all do that sir/madam. It's a characteristic of the brand.... It's always been thus.

Anyone who signs that disclaimer posted earlier is clearly an idiot and your average car salesmans wet dream.

SE320.

P.S.

Why anyone wants or needs 21" wheels is beyond me unless your father owns a tyre garage? :confused:

BCHDIMECHE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC250d
Mine has 19" non-runflat summer tyre standard fit at the factory.
As I've said before, it occurred at 12-13 deg C two weeks after delivery as well as 4 days after delivery when I filmed the video posted earlier.
It was also 12 deg C when I filmed the car going around in a circle on full lock with the steering wheel making no attempt to re-centre itself.

The dealer told me it was a feature of their drive by wire technology.

I see from HJ other customers are getting an email saying "that is our final position on the matter" from MB UK.

March is nearly upon us, lets see how many people taking delivery of a 17 plate have the same "comfort issue"....or are we to run winter tyres until June just to be on the "safe" side?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
if LHD with the exact same wheel size and tyre combo doesn't have an issue, then the only change that seems likely would be different suspension components to allow the 4 wheel drive hardware to clear the RHD steering column / steering rack (which I guess might be needed).

on many vehicles its this exact reason why the 4x4 models never made it to the UK mkt (few RHD markets are cold and wet) Oz and RSA for example are far hotter and dryer (plus much smaller)

a quick one might be to look at an alignment tool to see if UK and Europe models differ in their geometry figures

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Maybe it's not as absurd as your comments about me, my sister (the 911 owner) and my chartered engineer husband.....Oh, and I'm very much still alive.

engineers-make-things-industrial-engineers-makes-things-better.jpg

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
indeed and I've given more sensible inputs as to the under lying design fault than any other posts on any forum...

dejongj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG / 2016
Just registering my interest in this discussion as well. Mine is a GLC43 AMG and I reported the issue on day 2 of ownership. It has been a battle ever since.

Tony Mac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
indeed and I've given more sensible inputs as to the under lying design fault than any other posts on any forum...

I would be grateful if you opted out of this discussion and kept your offensive, derogatory and sexist comments to yourself.

Your pointed, unpleasant posts about contributing members have been offensive, insulting and totally unacceptable – Please find another forum to upset.

Tony Mac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
New video taken yesterday morning in our GLC 250d, very slowly and cautiously reversing and driving onto the main road, dry road surface and temp was around 4 or 5 degrees. Sad and depressing :(

https://youtu.be/g2wfEMQY0nc

Tony

cataloyking

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
glc amg 4matic
glc crabbing

I spoke with Mercedes about the glc problems we are having she registered my car reg no and said the technical guys were working on the problem and it was a characteristic of the car and was not a safety issue and to fit winter tyres I explained that I had the car in the summer and the crabbing was just the same I think the more people that phones them the better with their problems and see what the outcome is I said I would phone back in a month to get any update .

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
I still fail to believe that this car was put on general sale after all the testing etc and not one person had had this happen , these cars get handed over to journalists and car magazines before release yet not one hack found this problem ? or was it hushed up by MB . . . . . . . ?:confused:

Tony Mac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
I still fail to believe that this car was put on general sale after all the testing etc and not one person had had this happen , these cars get handed over to journalists and car magazines before release yet not one hack found this problem ? or was it hushed up by MB . . . . . . . ?:confused:

The majority of new car reviews and test drives were done by journalists in left-hand drive cars - that don't have the fault - shipped in from Germany. More recently, reviews in left-hand drive GLC's by Car Magazine and AutoEXPRESS mag have both experienced and written about the fault.

The problem we have is that the uk automative press rely on marketing £'s from the manufacturers, so unlikely to attack the hand-that-feeds-them :(

Tony

Last edited:

RickZ

Reaction score
Website
www.dvdmemories.co.uk
Your Mercedes
GLC 250D 4Matic AMG Line Coupe Premium Plus
I own a GLC Coupe and am currently trying to reject the vehicle due to this exact problem. It's been nearly 4 weeks since I first told finance company I was rejecting it and yesterday I got a response from the dealer and finance company explaining that there is now a letter been issued from Mercedes explaining why the wheels do this and this is the explanation.

Following your visit we can confirm that there is no safety concern with the issue you have experienced.

This characteristic comes from flexibility within the tyre sidewall, the grip between the front tyres and the type of road surface being driven over. It is something which can be felt only at very low speeds, and when a certain percentage of wheel lock is engaged for turning. This is demonstratively more evident in colder temperatures due to the changes in the tyre rubber elasticity.

As per the Mercedes-Benz Digital Handbook for your car, we would always recommend the use of winter tyres for temperatures which fall below approximately +7 degrees. The recommendation given to improve this characteristic would be to change the tyres on your car to suitable tyres for the winter period.

Please be assured that this is a comfort issue and does not affect the safety or overall performance of your car.

I have had a discussion with a senior engineer at Dekra who has explained that it isn't a fault with the car however did say possible design flaw but did confirm this will cause extra wear and tear to the tyres and did not think winter tyres would help. My dealer did offer winter tyres as well I wanted to reject the vehicle as felt this vital piece of information should have been told to me prior to purchasing the vehicle. Mercedes won't back down have replied saying it was in the digital manual which having checked I can't see any mention of this so called characteristic so I've told them I'm going to the financial ombudsman as the fact a letter has been now issued by Mercedes means they have been inundated with complaints and funnily enough when I took mine in to get the tyres checked the technician told me that mine was the 4th GLC in with the same problem and it was only Wednesday so loads of complaints and they are trying to cover it up

I picked up my new GLC 250d AMG Line Coupe a couple of weeks ago, it came with the 20in wheel upgrade. Shortly after handover I noticed the same noise being described when reversing around a corner and again when pulling away with wheel almost full lock. I have never experienced such a thing on any of the 20 odd cars I've owned throughout my life. I purchased this car with run flats tyres, it then became evident that Listers Mercedes who claimed run flats were marked MO hadn't got a clue as they should be marked MOE. I eventually got Listers to accept they'd made a mistake and they agreed to fit MOE run flats, it then became evident the MOE tyres aren't available for the ridiculous 285 size rear tyres. I persuaded them to replace my wheels with the unmarked 19in wheels from a demonstrator they had in and refund me the £595 upgrade cost. The run flats were fitted the other day and I haven't noticed the wheel/tyre noise since. On a run flat tyre the side wall is thicker making them less prone to flexing which suggests the exceptional lock on the GLC is distorting standard MO tyre walls resulting in the noise I experienced when the standard 20in MO tyres were fitted. It's almost a case of Mercedes having to reduce the steering lock angle to eliminate the issue. One thing I don't understand is why Mercedes are fitting larger tyres on the rear when the catalogue for the AMG Line says all 4 tyres should be the same size and the larger rear is only an option on the AMG 43.

Last edited:

BCHDIMECHE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC250d
Hi,
Sorry to hear you are in the same situation.
Did your order form have the codes R01 and R66 on it?
R01 is summer tyres which is standard, you cannot delete it or choose an alternate but Listers are using this against me as the order form has my signature on it. R66 is runflats which I believe were removed as an option back in December as they are worse for crabbing.
I was told mine were runflats when collecting it, but they aren't. Mine has 19" as part of the night package and I think it is in the brochure that they are staggered sizes, same as my X5 had.
I'd push for 30 day right to reject Consumer Act as they won't do anything to help.
The much anticipated statement from MB UK that should have been announced on Friday 17th Feb never materialised.
Make sure you document all phone calls and keep all emails.

RickZ

Reaction score
Website
www.dvdmemories.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Hi,
Sorry to hear you are in the same situation.
Did your order form have the codes R01 and R66 on it?
R01 is summer tyres which is standard, you cannot delete it or choose an alternate but Listers are using this against me as the order form has my signature on it. R66 is runflats which I believe were removed as an option back in December as they are worse for crabbing.
I was told mine were runflats when collecting it, but they aren't. Mine has 19" as part of the night package and I think it is in the brochure that they are staggered sizes, same as my X5 had.
I'd push for 30 day right to reject Consumer Act as they won't do anything to help.
The much anticipated statement from MB UK that should have been announced on Friday 17th Feb never materialised.
Make sure you document all phone calls and keep all emails.

MOE Continental 19" run flats seem to have resolved the issue for me as the noise has gone on reversing out of my drive when I used to hear it with standard Michelin 20" MO fitted. I have the GLC AMG Line Coupe brochure in front of me, for the 19" wheel it says 4 x 235/55 tyres should be fitted, in the case of 20" it should be 4 x 255/45. The two size front and back option is only available for the 43 and clearly lists as - for the AMG Line and therefore not an option. I've spoken to Listers Mercedes Lincoln and Mercedes Customer Services in the Netherlands neither know why Mercedes are fitting different size wheels back/front contrary to what the brochure says.

BCHDIMECHE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC250d
Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 10.30.52.jpg

This is from the current brochure from 21/3/17 so 6 months on since I ordered mine and it still shows different sizes front:rear tyres for the 19" wheels.

I think they are staggered to allow for the torque split 31/69 4MATIC on the 250d upwards models.....so I'm am totally confused as to why Listers are now saying they should all be the same size front and rear and have changed them for you.

RickZ

Reaction score
Website
www.dvdmemories.co.uk
Your Mercedes
View attachment 33478

This is from the current brochure from 21/3/17 so 6 months on since I ordered mine and it still shows different sizes front:rear tyres for the 19" wheels.

I think they are staggered to allow for the torque split 31/69 4MATIC on the 250d upwards models.....so I'm am totally confused as to why Listers are now saying they should all be the same size front and rear and have changed them for you.

It's to small I can't quite read it when I zoom in. Page 31/32 in my brochure downloaded from Mercedes last week shows the spec.

Attachments

• AMG Line + 43 20" Wheels.jpg
    AMG Line + 43 20" Wheels.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 10
  • AMG Line Standard 19" Wheels.jpg
    AMG Line Standard 19" Wheels.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 8

RickZ

Reaction score
Website
www.dvdmemories.co.uk
Your Mercedes
View attachment 33478

No Listers have fitted Continental MOE run flats but couldn't get any for the rear 285/40 20" tyres so replaced my 20" wheels which weren't spec'd by me for 19" which are still larger on the back so I now have MOE run flat 235/55 front and 255/50 rear. My brochure shows this set up as standard on the AMG 43 and not an option on the AMG Line. Mine has the Night Pack and the brochure shows the night pack tyres as being (4) - 5 twin spoke bicolour 235/55 tyres, to me this means all 4 should be 235/55.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom