5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
Just swap the trim over.

RickZ

Reaction score
Website
www.dvdmemories.co.uk
Your Mercedes
GLC 250D 4Matic AMG Line Coupe Premium Plus
So your phone call is you saying it is not right? Them offering you a service as compensation and you accepting that?
You have accepted their offer, you won't be able to reject based on that.

I think you're living in cloud cuckoo land mate if I am honest?

Everything you have asked for has been agreed?

The issues you have had have been rectified?

Why grounds have you got to reject the car?

Do you own a GLC, if you do does it judder in full lock. Mercedes answer to this is to fit winter tyres when it gets colder what a crock of s--t, who the hell has heard of such a thing. Who is going to supply these wheels and winter tyres and why wasn't it highlighted during the sale????

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do you own a GLC, if you do does it judder in full lock. Mercedes answer to this is to fit winter tyres when it gets colder what a crock of s--t, who the hell has heard of such a thing. Who is going to supply these wheels and winter tyres and why wasn't it highlighted during the sale????

I agree that this is an issue, however, you asked them to swap the tyres over, they did, it sorted your issue?

You then complained that the car came with a different trim, they offered a free service as way of compensation? You took the service rather than telling them to fit the correct trim?

I get it has probably knocked the shine of it, but the question you asked is can you reject the car?

One what grounds can you reject it? There were issues, you asked them to sort it, they did, it is now fine?

A trim swap is easy by the way.

RickZ

Reaction score
Website
www.dvdmemories.co.uk
Your Mercedes
I've just visited my Mercedes dealership to have a new bonnet badge fitted, whilst there I asked the service manager about the steering wheel judder. He informed me that skipping as they call it was due to the high lock angle on the GLC and they'd received the statement from Mercedes UK involving DECRA, it reiterated that the juddering doesn't compromise safety. He also confirmed it's more predominant on the larger wheels/tyres. In his opinion the only way to stop it is to reduce the lock angle by fitting a new steering rack with the stops in a different position. I must admit the GLC turning circle is much tighter than my Audi S5, I can turn once in areas I had to reverse a couple of times to turn around before.

Tony Mac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
I must admit the GLC turning circle is much tighter than my Audi S5, I can turn once in areas I had to reverse a couple of times to turn around before.

Looking on the Parkers web site and the Audi S5 and GLC both appear to have the same 11m Turning Circle?

Tony

RickZ

Reaction score
Website
www.dvdmemories.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Looking on the Parkers web site and the Audi S5 and GLC both appear to have the same 11m Turning Circle?

Tony

That's strange and the GLC Coupe is slightly longer, but it still felt as though it required more maneuvering to turn the S5 around in a tight space......

RickZ

Reaction score
Website
www.dvdmemories.co.uk
Your Mercedes
I have had a dozen cars on run flats and swapped them all over, OK at first but soon start to become crashy, and boy do they seem to get punctures! I put that down to less flex in the compound so things that might not penetrate on normal rubber just go straight in?

I took a new C Class out when it first came out not knowing they were on run flats, I though the ride was awful and went and bought an X3 instead (proper tyres fitted). I wish I had known Merc had been using run flats at the time as I fancied a mapped 2 litre turbo petrol estate.

Be interested to know the model of your tyre? My old man is thinking of putting run flats on his X3 as like you he seems scared about a can of gunk.

By the way, I know someone who did 3 laps of the 'ring in his M3 with it filled with gunk, bigger balls than me, but the stuff does work.
If you get a rip too big for the gunk you would probably find the run flat is too shagged to drive on too.

After 12 years of cars with run flats I'm undecided, I have gone from a total 'No' to 'Maybe they are getting to where they need to be?'

Only Continental manufacture 235/55 19 and 255/50 19 MOE tyres mine are Cross Contact LX Sport SSR. I'm touring Ireland in the summer doing around 1600 miles hence my paranoia about getting a puncture in the middle of nowhere with no mobile signal. Evidence suggests that a run flat can be driven on with a puncture to big for the gunk to seal in an MO tyre, in the worst case I'd be able to drive to a stronger mobile signal to enable me to initiate a breakdown call. With an MO tyre and gunk all over the road and no mobile signal I'd be in the proverbial kak.

dejongj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG / 2016
Only Continental manufacture 235/55 19 and 255/50 19 MOE tyres mine are Cross Contact LX Sport SSR. I'm touring Ireland in the summer doing around 1600 miles hence my paranoia about getting a puncture in the middle of nowhere with no mobile signal. Evidence suggests that a run flat can be driven on with a puncture to big for the gunk to seal in an MO tyre, in the worst case I'd be able to drive to a stronger mobile signal to enable me to initiate a breakdown call. With an MO tyre and gunk all over the road and no mobile signal I'd be in the proverbial kak.

You can only drive 50Km, further more the chances that a local tyre place there will have that specific run flat tyre will be incredibly remote and I would guess you'll be stuck for several days.

I would definitely go for standard tyres, that way Mercedes Road Side Assistance will stand a chance to have one and get you on its way.

Anyway just my 2p of someone who drives what you do in a year in 1 month ;)

RickZ

Reaction score
Website
www.dvdmemories.co.uk
Your Mercedes
You can only drive 50Km, further more the chances that a local tyre place there will have that specific run flat tyre will be incredibly remote and I would guess you'll be stuck for several days.

I would definitely go for standard tyres, that way Mercedes Road Side Assistance will stand a chance to have one and get you on its way.

Anyway just my 2p of someone who drives what you do in a year in 1 month ;)

Yes I've read many run flat reviews with many being unfavourable, they often say people are more likely to complain about things on the net than report positive experiences. My fingers are crossed for my 1600 mile Ireland tour. I have the tirefit system left from when the MO tires were fitted if needed I could use it. Considering the many reports of horrendous ride quality on run flats I must admit to being surprised that ride quality seems slightly harsher with the run flats but nothing major contrary to what's been reported. Is it true that once the gunk has been used it's a major job cleaning the rim in preparation to fit a new tyre.

Last edited:

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
I've just visited my Mercedes dealership to have a new bonnet badge fitted, whilst there I asked the service manager about the steering wheel judder. He informed me that skipping as they call it was due to the high lock angle on the GLC and they'd received the statement from Mercedes UK involving DECRA, it reiterated that the juddering doesn't compromise safety. He also confirmed it's more predominant on the larger wheels/tyres. In his opinion the only way to stop it is to reduce the lock angle by fitting a new steering rack with the stops in a different position. I must admit the GLC turning circle is much tighter than my Audi S5, I can turn once in areas I had to reverse a couple of times to turn around before.

I dont know what all the fuss is about as many many cars judder on full lock. All the A classes and B classes ive had have done it when on full lock. Its a characteristic of the steering geometry. This is a phenomenem that affects many manufacturers.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Yes I've read many run flat reviews with many being unfavourable, they often say people are more likely to complain about things on the net than report positive experiences. My fingers are crossed for my 1600 mile Ireland tour. I have the tirefit system left from when the MO tires were fitted if needed I could use it. Considering the many reports of horrendous ride quality on run flats I must admit to being surprised that ride quality seems slightly harsher with the run flats but nothing major contrary to what's been reported. Is it true that once the gunk has been used it's a major job cleaning the rim in preparation to fit a new tyre.

Rather than use gunk I carry one of these with me (admittedly no run flats but its a Smart Roadster so no spare at all):
71AVF1QvMSL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/XtremeAuto...=1-1-catcorr&keywords=car+puncture+repair+kit

It won't help if you stuff it into a pothole and rip a hole in the tyre but it does work for foreign objects like nails and screws.

Easy to use and in many cases you can do it without removing the wheel. All you need is a compressor to pump it up again.

We have regularly been to the south of France in the Smart with one of these and on one trip picked up a screw in the tread on the way back. Repaired it with this (on the car) and even though it is only supposed to be a temporary repair 8k miles on its still not leaking (the tyre will be replaced soon anyway).

dejongj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG / 2016
I dont know what all the fuss is about as many many cars judder on full lock. All the A classes and B classes ive had have done it when on full lock. Its a characteristic of the steering geometry. This is a phenomenem that affects many manufacturers.

You seriously have no idea do you? You are seriously telling me that you find this absolutely normal, and that you don't understand what the fuss is about?

https://youtu.be/rO5rqpYPNjo

Or this

https://youtu.be/3cp5DJxM6Uw

Sorry but my quality standards seem to be on a different planet to yours if you think that is normal.:confused:

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
You seriously have no idea do you? You are seriously telling me that you find this absolutely normal, and that you don't understand what the fuss is about?

Or this

Sorry but my quality standards seem to be on a different planet to yours if you think that is normal.:confused:

The characteristic is exhibited on many many cars and is not just confined to Mercedes. It is a function of the steering geometry.

We have a new GLC here and compared to my experiences with other cars, which I drive many types throughout the course of my day, and my ownership of previous Mercedes cars, its no worse than ive seen before. Your experiences may well be different and I wouldnt dare to deny those so please have the courtesy not to deny my experiences.

Last edited:

dejongj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG / 2016
The characteristic is exhibited on many many cars and is not just confined to Mercedes. It is a function of the steering geometry.

We have a new GLC here and compared to my experiences with other cars, which I drive many types throughout the course of my day, and my ownership of previous Mercedes cars, its no worse than ive seen before. Your experiences may well be different and I wouldnt dare to deny those so please have the courtesy not to deny my experiences.

I see you didn't actually have the curtesy to answer the question. So you think this is totally normal and acceptable?

I'm not denying your experiences at all - I really wished these cars don't do it. And it is brilliant if your car doesn't do it and I wish there are many more that don't as that should be a clear indicator that something is amiss. However you accuse me of causing a lot of fuss about nothing.

I'd just like to understand, you thing that based on what I'm experiencing many times a day and clearly demonstrated in those videos it is fuss about nothing?

A simple yes (it is fuss about nothing and it is normal) or no (that is actually rather bad and outside normal tolerances) would do just fine. :grin: Or as it is a free country you can also ignore and continue to claim we create a lot of fuss about nothing.

BCHDIMECHE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC250d
If you think this is normal you are continually buying the wrong brand. Try Audi Q7 S4 TT or A6 Allroad, none of those do it. Or BMW X5 and X3, neither of these did it either. You will be pleasantly surprised as they are crab free. https://youtu.be/69fr6--1ox0

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you think this is normal you are continually buying the wrong brand. Try Audi Q7 S4 TT or A6 Allroad, none of those do it. Or BMW X5 and X3, neither of these did it either. You will be pleasantly surprised as they are crab free. https://youtu.be/69fr6--1ox0

I'm sorry, that is where you are wrong.

My 3.0 Quattro A4 cab used to do this on full lock, my 3.2fsi Quattro avant did it on full lock and my B6 S4 also did it on full lock.

Just search on google, loads of Audi drivers asking "is it normal?"

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/86835-wierd-juddering-when-on-full-lock

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/77080-Vibration-on-full-lock

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/77015-Knocking-Noise-on-full-lock

You get this alot on Quattro cars when the front tyres are a different wear rate to the rears.

I remember a post on Pistonheads with someones allroad and it was doing it badly, turned out he had different tyres front and rear, swapped the rears to match and it all stopped.

BMX E83 X3 would do it with certain tread patterns too, put the BMW star marked tyre back on and it goes away.

Lots of owners get this on X3s, X5s, X6s when on 20" wheels.

Same with XC90....

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=168576

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I should just, some of the videos you are posting seem to show it is an extreme example, but I still believe most of it can be cured to the point of it not being an issue with different tyres.

Tony Mac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
Lots of owners get this on X3s, X5s, X6s when on 20" wheels.

Not sure why you keep trying to find evidence to belittle what we are saying - it is NOT normal for a luxury family car to drive so badly. For Christ's sake the Salesman at my MB dealer is agreeing with GLC owners that this awful characteristic is not acceptable in a MB.

Your not an MB salesman by any chance? :)

It's a very different experience - until recently we had an X3 on 20" wheels and our neighbour is running an X6, yes you get slight tyre skipping on the odd occasion when pulling away under power. This skipping is nothing like continuous juddering and bouncing when trying to reverse or turn into a tight space.

We are not selectively posting the worst videos, this happens all the time.

The actual experience is NOT conveyed in these videos, the movement and noise is significantly harsher and annoying.

Forgot to - the Left hand drive GLC's in Europe and US don't Crab - so why should we have to put up with it :(

Tony

Last edited:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom