The Era of ‘the Car You Own Forever’ Is Coming to an End

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

It won’t make sense to form a bond with a car that’s not really yours and runs on software someone else controls.​

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Great for the environment… having to change your car every 3 years due to a lack of software functionality.:rolleyes:

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Yep that'll save the planet .

Reactions: DSK

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
All cxxp! Simply designed to make us all que to replace our cars I call It the"apple syndrome, I WON'T BEVGETTING CAUGHT UP IN THAT....

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Oh but it will be electric..........:rolleyes:
But the same applies.

"Yes sir we can restore enhanced audio facilities of your car, for $$$."
"The auto headlight features have expired."
"Central locking isn't considered fundamental sir".

That's before the mobile phone principle of designed reduced battery performance is employed. That being a displayed 100% really means 75%.

I'm only joking of course. Manufacturers wouldn't really design in hidden software.

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
But the same applies.

That's before the mobile phone principle of designed reduced battery performance is employed. That being a displayed 100% really means 75%.

I'm only joking of course. Manufacturers wouldn't really design in hidden software.
My reply was intended to be sarcastic (hence rolled eyes) aimed at virtue signallers......As long as we save the planet..... it doesn’t matter what we have to endure, including people blocking motorways etc.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
including people blocking motorways etc.
I couldn't understand why they would sit on the road to block it.
If they just stayed on the band wagon that got them there that would block it.

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
Most of those morons probably don't drive and live with there parents so have zero responsibilities. I wonder how they would react when they have a house to run and children to bring up. I bet there attitude to the ideals they were promoting would be thrown out of the window and they would expect the government of the day to subsidise there new lifestyles.

Nigel Hewitt

Reaction score
Website
www.nigelhewitt.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300/W212/2014/2L Diesel Hybrid (Also a Honda CBR1000RA Fireblade)
You didn't tick the 'no' box on the dash when you left it last night and in the morning
it's been upgraded to car17 with the new 'ugly' shape. A lot of your customised
features from car16 no longer work but there are new equivalents in CarStore but the
functionality has changed.
Plus the reviews on car17 suck so you were going to wait for 17.1.
Oh and the colour changed because your old colour is depreciated so you walked about
wondering where you parked for ten minutes.

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
it will be like microsoft, car365, need an annual subsciption.
I do believe that mobile phone companies have showed the business world the way to go. The revenue model has been replicated in many areas, from subscription food, to phones, to tv, to music, to software, supermarket food delivery, to cars and more. Every business wants your monthly payment and buy in, vs a one-off payment.

The move to SaaS came with promises of lower cost of ownership /less investment, and they persuaded most of the world to move to a cloud based operation. It didn't save money. There are unseen unpredictable costs that cannot be planned for or controlled. It is an utter ****ing mess, and no one else I speak to really sees it, however most of them look at it from a perspective of their role and not how it impacts across the wider delivery structure. I was part of the first enterprise cloud software business, helped shape the contracts and agreements and spotted from the outset how the sales pitch was complete BS and the customer was exploited despite promises to counter any doubts.

Slowly the business world has all looked at this and thought, "hang on, we can either have a one off payment with no guarantee of repeat business, or we can stitch everyone up and have a life long revenue stream from every customer. One where they are tied in more than they reallise" Any such move is not good for the customer and where cars are concerned it is a dreadful outcome for the driver.

My last two phone renewals I tried to leave Apple behind but it was too difficult and I am still using Apple and I have to remind myself to tolerate it. Imagine when that scenario applies to one's car!

With recent years and a marked increase in stupidity and a lack of care in the workforce we see more problems arise, there is not a year go by where i do not fall down the cracks of some poorly thought out B2B arrangement set up to "supposedly benefit the customer". Most recently, as a banking customer with no branches I can pay in at the Post Office. I paid in a large cheque at the post office believing that my bank and post office would have robust mechanisms in place to protect customers. When the chq got lost after I paid it in, you can guess who's problem it because with both organisations declaring zero responsibility.

Yours,
Kipper Creature
Stitched up like a good un.

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 2004 - straight 6 diesel
But the same applies.

I was suspicious a few weeks ago when my indicator switch started to make a loud clicking noise at exactly 200k

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
I was suspicious a few weeks ago when my indicator switch started to make a loud clicking noise at exactly 200k
Listen carefully, it's Morse code for "Trade Me In"

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
You didn't tick the 'no' box on the dash when you left it last night and in the morning
it's been upgraded to car17 with the new 'ugly' shape. A lot of your customised
features from car16 no longer work but there are new equivalents in CarStore but the
functionality has changed.
Plus the reviews on car17 suck so you were going to wait for 17.1.
Oh and the colour changed because your old colour is depreciated so you walked about
wondering where you parked for ten minutes.
Many a true word is spoken in jest.

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Several years ago, in Japan, after a customer had completed the activation of their new Sony TV there was a countdown that lasted just one day longer than the warranty, and after the countdown expired the TV was inoperable. It wrecked Sony's reputation in Japan and they still do not seem to have recovered from it.
Most people thought it was intentional.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
With recent years and a marked increase in stupidity and a lack of care in the workforce we see more problems arise, there is not a year go by where i do not fall down the cracks of some poorly thought out B2B arrangement set up to "supposedly benefit the customer". Most recently, as a banking customer with no branches I can pay in at the Post Office. I paid in a large cheque at the post office believing that my bank and post office would have robust mechanisms in place to protect customers. When the chq got lost after I paid it in, you can guess who's problem it because with both organisations declaring zero responsibility.

I use an app with my Bank and you can pay checks in with it, goes straight in

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
I use an app with my Bank and you can pay checks in with it, goes straight in
Thanks for the pointer I was aware of that and it is a great service for those that use it. I prefer not to have banking apps or other apps on my phone for security reasons. I.e 1) if I lose my phone 2) Dodgy code from unscrupulous developers. 3) Mandatory upgrades.

I am certain point 2 does not apply to banking apps, but point 1 and 3 do and that is enough for me :) I'm out.

However, I feel it is not unreasonable to expect to be able to rely on a major bank to not lose a cheque. A sign of the times.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Thanks for the pointer I was aware of that and it is a great service for those that use it. I prefer not to have banking apps or other apps on my phone for security reasons. I.e 1) if I lose my phone 2) Dodgy code from unscrupulous developers. 3) Mandatory upgrades.

I am certain point 2 does not apply to banking apps, but point 1 and 3 do and that is enough for me :) I'm out.

However, I feel it is not unreasonable to expect to be able to rely on a major bank to not lose a cheque. A sign of the times.
You know most of those updates are actually security updates for patching vulnerabilities right?
Are you going into FUD mode again :p

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom