The fun begins :(

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Having sorted the insurance I went to take the SL to the repairers for a quote.

Started with it not unlocking, then service brake failure, hid bulb failure drivers side, no heating, SRS error....

Fired up the diagnostic kit....
No CAN communication with just about anything.
Managed to clear most of the errors but still have a dozen that come straight back. Five on ICM, 3 on driver front SAM and 1 on passenger front SAM, 2 on Distronic and 2 on the engine.
These all relate to CAN communication with the A/C, PSE and each other.
Managed to get it to the repairers so he can start work on the estimate but looks like I have some fun and games chasing this down. Annoyingly it was fine when parked up after the accident.

The headlight issue is very weird. Passenger headlight comes on with the ignition irrespective of the position of the lighting switch. Drivers side comes on with the headlight switch put to headlights but won't work on auto.

Gave up tonight. Too dark and too cold but I'm starting to suspect the right front SAM has died :(

Oh, and nothing is drowned.

OP
LostKiwi

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Essential trips?
Both the original trip (to work in what the government classify as an essential industry) and to the repairer were totally legal and within the guidelines.
Police attended the accident and had no concerns.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Too much of a coincidence not to be crash related IMO but proving it might be difficult...good luck

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I missed the accident post/s, I hope things resolve easily.
Nice car, I remember not feeling the lumps and bumps in the road, and was amazed at no wind noise with the roof down when you took me for a spin.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
LK why is the insurance not dealing with it. Sorry about the bump. Hope all involved are unscathed!

OP
LostKiwi

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
LK why is the insurance not dealing with it. Sorry about the bump. Hope all involved are unscathed!
Insurance are dealing with it but as @John Laidlaw says pricing this is accident related may be impossible given it drove from the scene with no issues.

@M80 I was coming back from work Friday and stopped in a queue of cars at a roundabout. The Honda behind also stopped but after we had sat there about a minute a white Audi A5 demonstrated a total disregard for social distancing and hit the Honda behind me hard enough to push her into me and me about 3 ft forward.
IMG_20210205_153651.jpg IMG_20210205_153654.jpg IMG_20210205_153703.jpg IMG_20210205_153717.jpg

BTW that's motorway grime over the rear of the car.

Reactions: M80

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
LK, seems there's something about rear entry that causes hands clasped over face!!:shock::shock:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Insurance are dealing with it but as @John Laidlaw says pricing this is accident related may be impossible given it drove from the scene with no issues.

@M80 I was coming back from work Friday and stopped in a queue of cars at a roundabout. The Honda behind also stopped but after we had sat there about a minute a white Audi A5 demonstrated a total disregard for social distancing and hit the Honda behind me hard enough to push her into me and me about 3 ft forward.
View attachment 65438 View attachment 65442 View attachment 65443 View attachment 65445

BTW that's motorway grime over the rear of the car.
I hate it when people park close behind me in traffic for that very reason. Thankfully everyone is ok . Looking at the MB it is surprising (or maybe not) how much damage there is to the front of the Honda.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I hate it when people park close behind me in traffic for that very reason. Thankfully everyone is ok . Looking at the MB it is surprising (or maybe not) how much damage there is to the front of the Honda.

Only made of Tinfoil though so it is hardly surprising. The Audi doesn't look good either but that would have had the heaviest impact of the three :rolleyes:

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Glad you are OK Alistair, the SL looks OK, what is the damage ? does the boot lid shut OK ?

RE your electrical problem, yes agree it sounds like maybe one of the SAM modules has gone, can Star not tell you which one ? It may be connected to the shock of the collision, but maybe coincidence.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Sorry to read of your accident LK, I've had two such rear end shunts and felt like knocking the living daylights out of the idiots who caused them on both occasions, ref your post above, did you mean to say "pricing this is accident related may be impossible will be challenging given it drove from the scene with no apparent or conspicuous issues." Get your negotiating head on and I'm sure with the support of your repairer you'll come out ahead of your insurers loss adjuster.

OP
LostKiwi

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To be fair to the Honda driver she wasn't that close before the accident. I suspect she was stopped with handbrake on as she must have been shunted a good 15-20 feet before she hit me (and I was pushed at least 3 feet). The driver of the Audi didn't appear to slow at all (according to the Honda driver) and has probably hit at 40mph or so.
The reason I think she was sat with handbrake on is that she was pushed so far and if the foot brake were in use there would have been more resistance to bring moved so far. It's possible her foot was dislodged off the brake pedal by the impact if she was using it and not the handbrake.

@SL55 Mark
The boot lid appears undamaged and opened and closed when I got the car home. The roof also operated normally as did everything else. It's only stopped working in the last 3 days whilst sitting unused but connected to the CTEK. It won't open now and the key just rotates so that's another issue to sort before it goes in. The PSE pump fuse is ok (managed to open the rear storage compartment to check it.). Looks like the can failure us stopping stuff working. No Comms to PSE from diagnostics either. Next step will be to disconnect CAN devices at the connector junction by the rear SAM (in storage compartment).

The repairer has said it received a very hard knock from behind and thinks it may not be a straightforward repair.

Were using our own repairer - the same one that did the excellent rust repairs to the rear arches when we first got the car.

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Many moons ago I got shunted in a very similar way on the M8 Westbound. Traffic was rapidly coming to a stop, I managed it and I could see the Transit van behind me coming to a controlled stop but next thing boom! The transit piled into the back of my Volvo 480ES coupe. Seems a Ford Orion with a quite inebriated company rep didn't think braking or avoidance was necessary and piled into the transit at probably 50/60mph. The transit front end was wrecked (write off), the Ford Orion was on fire (what was left of it), myself and the transit crew had to pull the ****ed guy clear to await police/Fire engine etc. M8 closed for 2 hours....
Damage to my Volvo? Visibly at the time, number plate broken in half!
Structural inspection later of course showed up more than 3k of damage (rippled boot floor)
All very unpalatable, feel your pain LK....

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
people need to do a driving test. If I recall (20 odd years back) it was always handbrake up at a stop for any length of time
to avoid this type of rather unfortunate incident

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
So sorry to hear about the accident LK and subsequent woes. I feel your pain and l do hope it all gets sorted satisfactorily.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Also sorry to learn that the vehicle has been damaged through no fault of your own. I know its very annoying to say the least and hope the issues are resolved to ensure the car is working as it was before. Amazing how people manage to cause so much damage in slow/stationary damage through a lack of care and common sense.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
@SL55 Mark
The boot lid appears undamaged and opened and closed when I got the car home. The roof also operated normally as did everything else. It's only stopped working in the last 3 days whilst sitting unused but connected to the CTEK. It won't open now and the key just rotates so that's another issue to sort before it goes in. The PSE pump fuse is ok (managed to open the rear storage compartment to check it.). Looks like the can failure us stopping stuff working. No Comms to PSE from diagnostics either. Next step will be to disconnect CAN devices at the connector junction by the rear SAM (in storage compartment).

The repairer has said it received a very hard knock from behind and thinks it may not be a straightforward repair.

Were using our own repairer - the same one that did the excellent rust repairs to the rear arches when we first got the car.
Implies body shell damage, but if it drives OK and the doors, roof and boot work, then maybe not too bad. Depends what the chassis alignment is like.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom