The inappropriate badging thread

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I have to hold my hands up, my W221 has the AMG badge on it but, it was there at the time of purchase a number of weeks ago! It reads S350 AMG.

The AMG badge will not be removed until early summer when I plan to take a bit of time off and detail it amongst other things not car related.

As I do not like incorrect badging, anytime I drive it, its always niggling away at me.

51755571804_6c625e18bd.jpg

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Yup, AMG badges belong on genuine AMG’s not AMG line. It was the first thing I ditched on the AMG line CLS.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
It may have been on this thread or elsewhere, that dealers were putting the AMG badge on amg line cars, so in a way hardly surprising to see so many. As for fake other things well, again it starts with the manufacturers bandwagon of fake exhausts, sounds, fins, diffusers etc. IMO, if its serves not functional purpose, there's no need for it, and if you need to stick fake tat on, then obviously the original design is crap.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
My 2017 (AMG Line) SL has pretty much everything you mention plus 33 more hp (over the prefacelift (not AMG line) version) @ 362bhp & AMG alloys.

There is no way I’d ever have an AMG badge on it.

It is not by any stretch of the imagination or contrivance an AMG.
But it is 2 cylinders short of the AMG version and has a lot less grunt than the V8! ;-).My V8 SL AMG line closes the gap at 427 bhp but still wouldn't badge it!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Reactions: DSK

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
But it is 2 cylinders short of the AMG version and has a lot less grunt than the V8! ;-).My V8 SL AMG line closes the gap at 427 bhp but still wouldn't badge it!

Then there is the 421 hp - 4 cyl AMG .......A lot quicker than most V8s. Who cares about cylinder count ;) when a boy racer car can clean you up.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Then there is the 421 hp - 4 cyl AMG .......A lot quicker than most V8s. Who cares about cylinder count ;) when a boy racer car can clean you up.
Not sure I would call any true AMG a boy racers car!

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Still the most powerful 4 cylinder engine in a production car one can buy, but at almost £58k for the hatchback and an extra £1.5k for the coupe it certainly ain't cheap! o_O
Far too rich for my blood. :p
Bl00dy lovely motors, though, Ron, especially in Yellow! :) ;)

Last edited:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Me too...this is why I had my dealer remove all model badging before taking delivery. :D
I wanted to do that on my SL400 but thought that people might think I’m trying to pass it off as a SL500 (external appearances are identical except for the rear badge), so the badge is still there.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Still the most powerful 4 cylinder engine in a production car one can buy, but at almost £58k for the hatchback and an extra £1.5k for the coupe it certainly ain't cheap! o_O
Far too rich for my blood. :p
A bit low on torque though compared to a V8 not sure I could live with half an engine no matter how well tuned....

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
I wanted to do that on my SL400 but thought that people might think I’m trying to pass it off as a SL500 (external appearances are identical except for the rear badge), so the badge is still there.
I can understand your way of thinking, but by the same token if your car actually was an SL500 you would still have to leave the badge on for exactly the same reason.
From my own point of view removing the badges on my car has a little bit to do with making others unsure of what the specific model is (fans of the brand would be in no doubt), but mainly I think my car looks much neater without them, and it is easier to clean as well.
My bootlid should have had AMG on the left and CLA 35 on the right, then a silly TURBO 4MATIC badge on each of the front wings.
Funny thing is when I was a boy racer I loved badges on my cars, but now I prefer to travel incognito. :cool:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
From my own point of view removing the badges on my car has a little bit to do with making others unsure of what the specific model is (fans of the brand would be in no doubt), but mainly I think my car looks much neater without them, and it is easier to clean as well.
That was the very reason I removed the badging form mine. Nothing to do with trying to fool people, I am a bit passed all of that. :rolleyes::)

De-badge.jpg

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I can understand your way of thinking, but by the same token if your car actually was an SL500 you would still have to leave the badge on for exactly the same reason.
My bootlid should have had AMG on the left and CLA 35 on the right, then a silly TURBO 4MATIC badge on each of the front wings.
Funny thing is when I was a boy racer I loved badges on my cars, but now I prefer to travel incognito. :cool:
Yep - I’d prefer the cleaner look - I added a spoiler and feel the badge looks out of place.

1354E7F8-8897-4B04-961A-10A73F24AA90_1_201_a.jpeg

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
I would agree with that Rory, and don’t forget the Euro number plates either :)

That's right, but to make the car legal if you cross the Channel, you have to have a UK sticker, GB is no good any more.

I suspect any Gendarme worth his salt would stop you for having a stick-on boy racer spoiler though...

Not_Anumber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E350cdi prefaclift
Misuse of AMG badges devalues the sub brand of AMG.

A lot of wilful AMG mis badging could be easily avoided if MB were to use AMG Line badging.
Audi sucessfully use S Line badging to designate a trim level option and despite a lot of owners retro fitting the S Line badge those cars can never be confused with a full fat S6.

I'd happily snap up a pair of AMG Line badges to replace the meaningless Blue Efficiency badges on my S212's front wings but certainly wouldn't want to mis fit AMG badges.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom