The old question: Summer vs All Season vs Winter tyres. What's your thinking?

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
Look for a different size combo. Narrower/taller ratio or wider/ lower ratio.

I at one point ran a 700bhp Pontiac, in Oslo, in winter with 315/35 17" winters then studs.

Might take some work with a spreadsheet to get the right mix. Also might look at having a set of Winter wheels in a narrower size?.

If you have a garage you can buy or make a hinged cage to hold wheels fitted to roof?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bodhi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 CDI W203
I will explore that option, of a garage holding my summer tyres if the winter gets really bad. Thanks for the idea.

Look for a different size combo. Narrower/taller ratio or wider/ lower ratio.

I at one point ran a 700bhp Pontiac, in Oslo, in winter with 315/35 17" winters then studs.

Might take some work with a spreadsheet to get the right mix. Also might look at having a set of Winter wheels in a narrower size?.

If you have a garage you can buy or make a hinged cage to hold wheels fitted to roof?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
what about the 225/45/17 all round? Do Michelin have those?

OP
B

Bodhi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 CDI W203
what about the 225/45/17 all round? Do Michelin have those?

Yes. I have considered it. But the rear rim is wider than the front one, and with more than 200 hp I think is wise to keep the wider tyre for summer use. I have a heavy foot.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
For my CL I bought a set of cheap alloys with tyres (all of the same size as shown in the Car Manual) from Alloy Wheels Direct and a set of tubular tyre mounts (that thread through the wheel centre) which I bolted to the garage wall. With the addition of a couple of heavy duty brackets and two motorbike security cables I can lock them all to the wall.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yes. I have considered it. But the rear rim is wider than the front one, and with more than 200 hp I think is wise to keep the wider tyre for summer use. I have a heavy foot.
I hear what you are saying, but even in the E63 I opted for a 'square' winter tyre set up and even with 700 bhp ish through the rears it was acceptable for the colder months...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I put 320hp through a square setup on that size tyres. Not a problem.

OP
B

Bodhi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 CDI W203
I hear what you are saying, but even in the E63 I opted for a 'square' winter tyre set up and even with 700 bhp ish through the rears it was acceptable for the colder months...

That... is A LOT of power

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I take the view that whilst my winter tyres are on my summer tyres and more expensive rims aren't wearing out or getting damaged.
If the weather is cold enough to justify winter tyres then engine power isn't relevant as you won't be using it all anyway and so a narrower tyre fitment isn't an issue - to be honest you'll find that the winters have more grip even with a smaller contact patch as temperatures plummet than a summer tyre.

On the point of all seasons - it depends on how you drive. My wife's Micra has had all seasons fitted now for many years - a touch of snow and they are miles better than summer tyres and yet still give good handling in the summer - even at 35C.

OP
B

Bodhi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 CDI W203
Im slightly annoyed... I was checking reviews and found an interesting tyre. Michelin does a "Pilot" branded tyre in all season! And... They do make it in 245-40-17 !!!!!! So thrilled by it!

Until...

I found out that we, in Europe, simply cant get them. But americans can:

https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/245-40R17.htm

How annoying is that? If you filter for "All season" tyres, they have 32 different models, at this size! To choose from!!! WHY ON EARTH????

The one I was interested on is this Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus

Useless to be upset, I know... But still...

Top Bottom