The W126 restoration thread

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
What lacquer you using ..???single pack aerosol?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have never tried spraying any type of paint below 17c and I used a flow cup for consistent results and 18 sec for most.

The hardening time will be much longer at below 17c so do not be in to much of a hurry to polish up, or it will sink later

OP
octanejunkie

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
I have never tried spraying any type of paint below 17c and I used a flow cup for consistent results and 18 sec for most.

The hardening time will be much longer at below 17c so do not be in to much of a hurry to polish up, or it will sink later

Gonna be a couple of weeks before i'm doing any buffing ;)

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
You could always flat it down with 1200 and give it another couple of coats of lacquer...the finished result will be so much better..

syncropaddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
.... too many cars!
Im liking this thread. My own 126 does not need any of this work yet but I do have a set of wings and a set of bumper chromes in the attic for when the day comes. In the meantime she gets the Waxoyle treatment this time of the year.
It is so worth keeping a 126 looking as she should ....

OP
octanejunkie

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
New chromes fitted!
Bit of a ball ache. Getting everything lined up and screwed together was quite tricky. The bolts for the chrome hold the chromes to the apron, and the apron to the beam. Had to get all three lined up properly before tightening everything down. I used all new stainless nuts and bolts. Using spring washers and anti shake washers helped no end :cool:
Lots of Waxoyl on the back of the chromes. Wafting the heat gun over it made the waxoyl nice and runny and got it into all those nooks and crannies.
Looks lovely! Can't wait to get the other wing done and bolt it all back together!
P1020135.jpg

OP
octanejunkie

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
Well the drivers side wing is off.
Doesn't look as bad as the passenger side (thank god :rolleyes:).
Will still require a fair bit of work though. There is filler in there, so it will be out with the grinder again at the first opportunity!
P1020134.jpg

OP
octanejunkie

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
Im liking this thread. My own 126 does not need any of this work yet but I do have a set of wings and a set of bumper chromes in the attic for when the day comes. In the meantime she gets the Waxoyle treatment this time of the year.
It is so worth keeping a 126 looking as she should ....

What are they doing in your loft! You should sell them to me! :rolleyes:
Here i am grinding and welding my arse off, and Mr Smug has got the full set in his loft... :shock:

Just kidding! Hang onto them, they are becoming EXTREMELY rare. I'm pestering everyone i can find for bumper chromes. Lol!!!

fay66

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1990 W126 300SE, 1966 Lancia Fulvia 2c Berlina 1969 Raleigh RM9 Ultramatic Moped
Do you have any photos of taking the wing off and the condition of the mounting bracket in front of the wheelarch? was there any corrosion there or was it all in the wings themselves.

Anyone got any comments regarding pattern front wings for W126, I had heard previously that they are not a good fit.

Thanks
Brian

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
The current versions of pattern wings are quite a good fit, any decent panel guy could make an excellent job of fitting them..

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
How difficult is it to remove a front wing?
Do they simply unbolt from the car or is there a lot more to it than that?
I'd like to unbolt my W123 wings to get to the rust behind them...

Nice work by the way!

some years ago (10?) I bought a replacement wing for a W123 for £19 made in India (via Euro Car parts?)and not entirely tidy at the pointy end but serviceable and easy to put on.
Are they still sold?

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Those wings thankfully have now gone, better pressings from taiwan made those 'POP ON'wings redundant
The latest generation, from Taiwan and i believe, Italy..are quite a good fit..

ben12345

Reaction score
Before I converted the front of my SEL to SEC spec, I used a 'Hadrian' front wing from my local factors.
It was about £60, and the quality was there. It took a little tweaking on the join under the indicator/headlight, but nothing drastic.

I suppose though if you have alot of time on your hands, then repairing the current wing might be more satisfying.

OP
octanejunkie

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
The mounts underneath the headlight where the bumper is supposed to slide in were completely shot. Practically non existent on the passenger side.
The aluminum guides on the bumper beam had also reacted with the steel and had quite literally dissolved.
I therefore cut them off completely.
It would be quite easy to fabricate something to go in their place.
They're not really needed for the wing as such, but something is necessary to hold the bumper level at the ends. I shall be using a long piece of threaded bar going from the remains of the bumper beam mount, up through the inner wing.
The whole area under the headlight and indicator is a poor design and a terrible rust/moisture trap.
Anyone with a W124 or W126 would be well advised to check here.
The other point which is really naff, is the rubber piece between the bottom of the wing and the bumper. It is a push fit into loads of little holes in the bottom of the wing. A terrible rust trap, which is why ALL original W126's will have some sort of corrosion in this area (obviously some worse than others)
Oddly, this is not nearly as bad on the pre face lift cars.

OP
octanejunkie

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
Well, its not as bad as the passenger side, though some crumbly stuff still had to be cut away

P1020154.jpg

P1020155.jpg

OP
octanejunkie

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
And some fresh tin welded in.
Again, not concerned with neatness at the bottom of the wing, as this is covered by the cladding (thankfully! :p)

P1020157.jpg

P1020158.jpg

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom