Thought on the Sprinter 312d...

billpine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Anything diesel!
Hello all.

As with most of us these days dosh is tight. I've been thinking for a while to make a few pennies doing a van with a man type thing and set about looking for a van.

Initially I quite fancied a Hyundai H100, cheap parts, bomb proof engine (mitsy) and a renamed Bosch pump (Zexel) which is good for EN bio :D BUT alas they are about as common as hens teeth!

That brings me to my next choice which is the Sprinter. Found a reasonable 96 plate 312d but I don't know a thing about them especially where the engine is concerned. So just for the time being could anyone with a 312d model let me know what they think of this van, good and bad. I have to say I'm hugely neurotic about timing belts so to know how difficult these are to chance would be a good start.

One good thing is according to Biomotors the 312d will run 100% EN bio. Lovely Jubbly!

Much thanks. Bill

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
I work for one of the leading independent courier companies in the uk and like most others our fleet and owner driver fleet is mainly sprinter based. 1996 is too old for anything we'd allow to be run as we have 2009 vans with over 150k on them and threadbare seats from the 100+ stops per day

A decent service history and I knowing what kind of life it's had will be important ( as I personnally wouldnt be keen on buying one ex my place unless it was buttons as they are hammered all day every day)

Rust seems to still be a problem. Buy on condition

I have heard people run them for over 400,000 miles , they are and have always been ruddy quick! First one I drove about 2000 and it would top 100mph then on the Italian autostrada :)

Last edited:

richyba

Reaction score
Website
www.4tours.biz
Your Mercedes
1978 T1 307D,2005 Slk200K,1982 300DSLC (honest!) & 1994 410d Camper
Well no timing belt at least to worry about and a great engine but rust is the killer as has been said they are seriously quick but that is often their downfall so check for accident damage!

Bottom ball joints are a total pain as are handbrakes (if it is the same set up as a 413!)

If you are not in a hurry and like something retro the T1 (207d - 410d) but before anyone screams I know they are an aqquired taste but we have a 1994 410d which we worked hard for 10 years and now we are giving it an easy life as a camper and it has been truly amazing but yes they do rot as well as a Sprinter and you dont want to be in a hurry!

Hope this is some use, oh nearly forgot the dreaded dual mass flywheel on Sprinters (and late T1 s believe it or not!) These might be changed for a solid flywheel but not in the time we had to get ours fixed so a potential nasty bill there to!

OP
B

billpine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Anything diesel!
Thanks for the posts fella's. Missed the Sprinter someone got there before me :(

Have got the chance to own a S Reg Vito 108d 116k BUT reverse according to the seller is bit of a arse getting into sometimes :confused: Doesn't fill me with confidence! Simple fix, clutch or gearbox who knows..

Any thoughts on this type of van fella's?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom